Shotgun Forum banner

Looking for used O/U, cheap. Any suggestions?

7K views 61 replies 22 participants last post by  KyBrad3 
#1 ·
want it for trap skeet and sporting clays. im not very advanced so i dont need Krieghoffs etc

#52 ·
Don't let the high $$ guys frighten you. If you buy one of the Khan, mossberg, stoeger, baikals for $400 or less. The worst that will happen is you sell it later for $300 +/- no big deal if you got your enjoyment out of it. No serious financial loss either. I see alot of $700 Citoris on the used market. Given they are over $2000 new, thats a serious loss right there.

#53 ·
Fish Springs said:
One of the most wickedly effective sporting clays shooters I've ever seen was shooting an old Superposed with fixed I/C and I/Mod--that he'd bought in college, had fitted and never looked back.
That's a great idea FS. Those old Superposed actions are rock solid and will go for a LONG long time. I am thinking of doing the same thing with a 20ga Superposed that has a monte carlo add on stock at my dealer, if I can talk him down on the price.

If you have that older gun fitted to your specs by a good fitter, then you would have a deadly competition AND hunting gun, should you choose that. Talk about shooting where you point...

As for those $700 Citori's, man point me to them.

Honestly Bosoxfan, if I were in your situation (i.e. needing a good solid competition gun for not much $$), I would get a very good used Beretta 39X or Rem 1100 and add some weights or stock or some good aftermarket stuff and get it customized as close as you can to your specs and save your $ for an o/u. Actually once you start shooting at a club, get to know some of the older shooters and you might just stumble on a great deal on a used o/u from one of them.

Good luck...

#56 ·
Well, I was in the Spring, TX, Gander Mountain this afternoon and there was a used Citori, 12ga, 26" on the rack for $625. For some unknown reason, the barrels had been poorly refinished. The action seemed tight and the bore ok. Someone more familiar might use as is or have the barrels refinished properly.

I left there and went to Carter Country where they had a 12ga Citori for $739. Unfortunately, I arrived after closing so I didn't ask them to unsecure it for me to take a better look. Looking at it in the rack, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

The day wasn't a total loss. I picked up a Rem 552BDL for $110.

Mike

#57 ·
shotar said:
Don't let the high $$ guys frighten you. If you buy one of the Khan, mossberg, stoeger, baikals for $400 or less. The worst that will happen is you sell it later for $300 +/- no big deal if you got your enjoyment out of it. No serious financial loss either. I see alot of $700 Citoris on the used market. Given they are over $2000 new, thats a serious loss right there.
That's the trouble with Browning O/U shotguns, they have no resale value.

#58 ·
Mike1951 said:
Well, I was in the Spring, TX, Gander Mountain this afternoon and there was a used Citori, 12ga, 26" on the rack for $625. For some unknown reason, the barrels had been poorly refinished. The action seemed tight and the bore ok. Someone more familiar might use as is or have the barrels refinished properly.

I left there and went to Carter Country where they had a 12ga Citori for $739. Unfortunately, I arrived after closing so I didn't ask them to unsecure it for me to take a better look. Looking at it in the rack, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

The day wasn't a total loss. I picked up a Rem 552BDL for $110.

Mike
Are you suggesting that one or both both of those Citoris fit Shotar's "paid over $2000, sell for $799" criteria?

#59 ·
I found a used Citori for $700 once. It looked like it had been dragged behind a car. Never saw another one for less than $900 used.

#60 ·
j beede said:
shotar said:
That's the trouble with Browning O/U shotguns, they have no resale value.
Exactly my point. The $400 Khan will be worth about $300 two years from now. The SPartan will be worth about the same or maybe a little more. The $299 Stoeger will be worth $225 or so. Not much value will be lost in real $$. The B gun however will lose half or more of its value and still be an expensive used gun. The upside is that it won't lose much more than that when the second owner goes to sell it.

#62 ·
williray4 said:
The Yildiz?????? looks like a halfway decent gun too, BUT!! I know they're sold in Texas but where else and who does the warranty work..
Actually Academy Sporting Goods has stores all over the south... see the thread on this in the Yildiz forum. Some interesting commentary on how exactly we define the "south". LOL...

Anyway, back to my point, Yildiz is a very solid gunmaker in Turkey and Europe. They seem to represent a middle grade of Turkish guns below the Huglu and Kimber high grades, but give a very good value for the $. Briley does all of their warranty repairs... I trust you have heard of them. :wink:

The only downside to the Y's seem to be their lack of national availability. Trust me, we southerners love 'em.

Cheers,

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.