Shotgun Forum banner

700x powder?

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  steel_warrior1 
#1 ·
I am thinking about trying some 700x in some target loads for trap and sporting clays, mostly just for the fun of trying a different powder.

any good reasons not to?

#5 ·
For years DuPont's 700-X was one of the three most popular propellants used by skeet and trap shooters in the 12 gauge. The other two were Hercules Red Dot and Green Dot, with Green Dot probably being more popular with trap shooters than skeet shooters. 700-X is also a very versatile propellant being quite good in the 12 gauge with from 7/8 to 1-1/8 ounce loads.

#6 ·
700-X I've used enough of that stuff to fill up a good sized drum. I had a cousin that worked in management for DuPont. Every Christmas I would get 8 lbs of that fine powder along with one pound containers of 4350, 4895, and 4831. Oh, how I hated it when she retired. Now it's bottles of wine......

#7 ·
My normal skeet load is 17.2 grains of 700x, 1 1/8 #9s, Win 209 primer with a WAA12 wad in an AA or Remington Gun Club hull. Low-recoil load, relatively clean burning, and it breaks targets if I do my part. 700 X is also a good powder for 38 special target loads if you reload handgun. I've been using 700X since I started reloading 18-19 years ago, and have been happy with the results.

Mike

#8 ·
My normal skeet load is 17.2 grains of 700x, 1 1/8 #9s, Win 209 primer with a WAA12 wad in an AA or Remington Gun Club hull. Low-recoil load, relatively clean burning, and it breaks targets if I do my part. 700 X is also a good powder for 38 special target loads if you reload handgun. I've been using 700X since I started reloading 18-19 years ago, and have been happy with the results.

Mike

#10 ·
thanks for the lowdown guys.

I was trying some WST this morning and found out that with the finer powder I have some work to do to seal up the bottle to the bar, had a fari amount of it sliding out on top the bar.

I will give the 700X a try

I was using clays and tried the WST, seems like the crimps on the HS AA's look better with the WST load, using a smaller bushing to get the neede powder....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.