Shotgun Forum banner

BSA shotguns?

19K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  rlliddle1 
#1 ·
Wondered if anyone has tried one of these yet?Specifically the doubles.Also the pump.I like their scopes and I have a 1965 BSA motorcycle.The pumps seem pretty much Beretta,or a close copy.The doubles are "European" made,but that could mean just about anywhere but Asia.They look nice,and reasonably priced compared to all the other new doubles out there....especially since I had my heart set on one of those Marlin/LC Smiths.I find it kinda funny that Marlin has owned LC Smith forever,never used the name and builds most of their guns to be in the average $300 range---then they slap that price on the double.

Anyhow,since were reviewing the BSA stuff-----is there any other new and decent stuff (other than those Rem/Baikal) for doubles $600-700 or under?

Jimmy D

#2 ·
It is not the same British company that used to make guns and motorcycles. They sold the right to use the name on firearms to a company in the US.

That doesn't necessarily mean the guns are no good, but the fact that the British company made good guns and good motorcycles is irrelevant. The US company bought the right to use the name so they could sell guns to people who don't know the difference.

#3 ·
Yes,I knew they had sold out.Quite a long run for BSA though.Most of the motorcycle guys have no idea what BSA stands for.I'm young (28) and if I wear my BSA shirt,I always get the "you know what that stands for punk?" British Sports America,British Small Arms blah,blah.I work in a machine shop,and I noticed about a year ago that we have a BSA chuck with the BSA stacked rifle logo in it.Pretty cool.Triumph is back around again---wonder how long before BSA and Norton bikes have a 2000 something lineup.

Well,this isn't a history lesson on BSA guns,bikes,scopes or machinery.BSA runs deep in my family history for many reasons.I was just wondering about the new SxS guns and if anyone has bought/tested one.Other than the ho-hum article Outdoor Life has on the net,I can't find anything on them other than the MSRP at a few dealers.I'd like to know how they shoot,how the fit and finish is,how good a value etc...

Jimmy D

#4 ·
There are 2 different "grades" of BSA's... the low end ones (made in Turkey) are typical Turkish junk.

The higher end ones are made by Urgartecha (sp?) in Spain, and both of the examples I've seen were quite nice, and a good value for the price. I would have purchased one for myself, but the model I liked (whose model # I don't recall now) only came with an English stock.

#5 ·
A couple of months ago I found a BSA Classic side by side marked down several hundred dollars. I did a little research and learned that BSA Imports (the US importer of BSA shotguns) had ceased operations. Good looking, moderately priced gun but the lack of viable warranty service scared me away. According to the Bill Hanus web site, the BSA Imports side by sides were made in Spain by Zabala vs Ugartechea. http://www.billhanusbirdguns.com/bsaroyal.html

The BSA Model 200 semi-autos were made in Turkey, and are currently subject to a recall notice because some of the guns will fire out of battery. The NRA site has the details http://www.nrapublications.org/tar/Recall.asp

Mike

#8 ·
Quoted from a member of The High Road.

Well folks, I have an update on the BSA Royal. I received it a Friday before last and it has been back to the dealer for a few days now. It had beautiful wood. The wood to metal fit was acceptable. The barrels were nice. The metalwork and finish on the receiver was horrible.

There were grinder marks near and around the barrel pivot pin that were finished over. The bluing was uneven and partially missing in the right side. The edge of the receiver extended past the barrel edge and the distance of the lip was uneven around the edge. The edge of the receiver face was not finished well, it was rough on the edges, filed but not de-burred. The gun fit together well and I am sure would have been a serviceable tool but did not have the finish I would have expected for a shotgun that was supposed to retail for near $1,500. Even at half that it was no deal and I sent it back. This gun could have been an anomaly but it is not "the one" for me. I was really hoping for a nice gun. I can understand why the Weatherby deal went south if this was an example of what they were expected to sell under their name. Poopy!

#9 ·
I have owned 2 BSA Classic SXS shotguns for several years. A 16 gauge and a 28 gauge. Both have 26" barrels and choke tubes. After I had the stocks cut to fit the 16 gauge weighs 6lb 10oz and the 28 gauge weighs 5lb 8oz and mount lightning fast. Both guns have had several thousand rounds fired thru them without a hitch. Parts are still availible from a Gunsmith in MO who bought out all the inventory from the importer. Both guns have run 49 out of 50 birds on the Skeet field, and yes, you can get Skeet choke tubes for them. All my hunting buddies know when I pull out the BSA's that I'm not going to miss. Finish on the guns is not bad for a $700.00 SXS.

#10 ·
I had a semi auto BSA black synthetic model with 3 inch chamber and 28" barrel, I ran 200 rounds through it, and it wouldn't cycle the second round, I got a FTE every single time. I took it too a local gun smith he shot it and it still did it, could never really get it figured out, I ended up selling it too cabelas who gave me what I paid for it.

Stay away from the semi autos, I can't speak for the sxs's.

#11 ·
mike5mm said:
I have owned 2 BSA Classic SXS shotguns for several years. A 16 gauge and a 28 gauge. Both have 26" barrels and choke tubes. After I had the stocks cut to fit the 16 gauge weighs 6lb 10oz and the 28 gauge weighs 5lb 8oz and mount lightning fast. Both guns have had several thousand rounds fired thru them without a hitch. Parts are still availible from a Gunsmith in MO who bought out all the inventory from the importer. Both guns have run 49 out of 50 birds on the Skeet field, and yes, you can get Skeet choke tubes for them. All my hunting buddies know when I pull out the BSA's that I'm not going to miss. Finish on the guns is not bad for a $700.00 SXS.
I've got the twin to your 16 ga BSA Classic. Mine weighs 6#11oz and and is also my favorite bird gun. I had Briley install their Thinwall chokes and also have the complete set of chokes including two Skeet chokes. Very nice gun for the money.

Can you please provide a contact for the gunsmith in Missouri who got all the parts? The gun has been super reliable, but I would sure hate to park it if something did wear out.

#12 ·
Try to get hold of a real BSA double, or even of their legendary BSA XII singles, designed by William Baker, and THEN judge the new stuff.

The old British made guns were technically equal, and on some points superior to even the best English double. BSA is probably the only company that used dovetailed chopper lump barrel construction, the one copied by Winchester in the Model 21.

#13 ·
Anyone who is looking for parts for the Spanish made BSA Side X Sides and the BSA Over and Unders that were imported by BSA, Houston, MO can obtain them from Lee Smith, 5082 Hwy 137, Yukon, MO 65589. His number is 417-932-4988 evenings CST or 417-967-6703 daytime CST. He can also do gunsmith work on these shotguns. He bought all the parts from the importer when they went out of business.

#15 ·
I have a BSA super magnum 3 1/2 shotgun that needs a new operating handle, does anybody know where I can get a replacement or if any of the other shotguns operating handle will interchange with it, like maybe a mossberg 930, the nordic replacement operating handle looks like it will fit, anybody have any experience with either of these?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.