CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger 2000 review
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking at the Stoeger 2000 auto 12 ga. Are there any perfomance/reliability reviews anyone can share?
thanks

Post subject: Re: Stoeger 2000 review
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:18 pm 
Limited Edition

DC,

I have had mine for a little over one year. It's a camo with a 28" barrel. I have shot about six cases on shells through it with only one failure to eject, about the same failure rate I've gotten from my Montrefelto. Out of the box it shot anything I have run though it, 7/8 oz dove loads to 1 1/4 oz. loads. It comes with sling studs that you install. It's pretty easy to do but it's not sling ready out of the box. Break down and cleaning are very simple. The only problem I have had with it is the stock has come loose twice. The first time I used blue lock-tite, this time I used red and it's still holding.

Two things that I wish from Stoeger are a rifled barrel and they make one in 20 ga. They have a slug barrel but it isn't fully rifled.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:59 am 
Utility Grade

thanks for your reply; would you recommend it; would love to get a Benelli M1 90 but can't afford it and I understand this has the same action just don't know about the quality
dc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:53 am 
Field Grade

I was lucky enough to get my 2000 two weeks ago. The duck hunters around here have found about this "Benelli" clone, and have snapped them up. Every shop in Houston that stockes them are back-ordered a couple of months.

at any rate, I have put about two cases through mine, and it has worked without a hick-up. I have only shot 3 1/4 gram eq. with 1 1/8 oz loads to date to get it broken well. (As recommended in the manual.) It looks and shoots exactly like the Benelli.

Stoeger is owned by Beretta, as is Benelli, they use the same bolt system, and I am sure Beretta is trying to control cost by using as many interchangeable parts as possible.

I understand that Benelli went to Stoger Industries and contracted the manufacture of their bolt system just before Stoger came out with their 2000. Shortly after that, Beretta acquired Stoger.

The Stoger SXS is popular in Cowboy shooting, and if any group is hard on guns is the SASS Action Cowboy Competition. They use good metal.

Or so I have heard, but I do like the way my 2000 shoots.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:59 am 
Limited Edition

DC,

Sorry about that I was a little beat last night.

Yes, I would recomend it. One of the reasons that I bought was I do have a Montrefelto and the Model 2000 feels and points the same to me. I don't feel uptight about it getting knocked around while hunting as it's half the price. If they ever make one in 20 ga. I will buy another one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:30 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks for the input. this site saves alot time and shoe leather. Really helps me narrow the focus for the need until the lottery check comes in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:51 am 
Limited Edition

i didn't quite have the same fortunes with my model 2000, but that's just because i neglected to read the owner's manual.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:08 pm 
Thanks for all the help. First-time hunter and i appreciate it. Do Benelli barrels fit on the Stoegers as replacements?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:59 pm 
Limited Edition

No they won't fit a Benelli.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:19 am 
Wandering through Dick's yesterday, saw the wood version on the rack for $359 ($379 with a $20 discount). After seeing so many positive comments on this forum and several other, I said " What the Heck!" and bought one. I need a new shotgun like a hole in the head. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this one performs. I was surprised at how light the 2000 felt. Wood was very good for the price. Picked the best of four in stock. I degreased it and relubed it. Coming from the factory, they weren't bashful about greasing/oiling it! I'm going to run a couple of boxes of 1 3/8 oz. mag. shells through it. These shells have been gracing the gun safe for several years, and it'll be a good way to get rid of them. Ought to be a good start in breaking it in. Will see how it patterns at the same time. Oh, boy, a new toy to play with!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Snuffy wrote:
Wandering through Dick's yesterday, saw the wood version on the rack for $359 ($379 with a $20 discount). After seeing so many positive comments on this forum and several other, I said " What the Heck!" and bought one. I need a new shotgun like a hole in the head. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this one performs. I was surprised at how light the 2000 felt. Wood was very good for the price. Picked the best of four in stock. I degreased it and relubed it. Coming from the factory, they weren't bashful about greasing/oiling it! I'm going to run a couple of boxes of 1 3/8 oz. mag. shells through it. These shells have been gracing the gun safe for several years, and it'll be a good way to get rid of them. Ought to be a good start in breaking it in. Will see how it patterns at the same time. Oh, boy, a new toy to play with!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

What was the address or the phone number?
dc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:19 am 
Field Grade

dc, here's the info.

Dick's Sporting Goods
17780 Garland Groh Blvd.
Hagerstown, MD
(240) 420-0140

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Snuffy wrote:
dc, here's the info.

Dick's Sporting Goods
17780 Garland Groh Blvd.
Hagerstown, MD
(240) 420-0140

thanks
will let you know how we come out.
dc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Chef wrote:
DC,

I have had mine for a little over one year. It's a camo with a 28" barrel. I have shot about six cases on shells through it with only one failure to eject, about the same failure rate I've gotten from my Montrefelto. Out of the box it shot anything I have run though it, 7/8 oz dove loads to 1 1/4 oz. loads. It comes with sling studs that you install. It's pretty easy to do but it's not sling ready out of the box. Break down and cleaning are very simple. The only problem I have had with it is the stock has come loose twice. The first time I used blue lock-tite, this time I used red and it's still holding.

Two things that I wish from Stoeger are a rifled barrel and they make one in 20 ga. They have a slug barrel but it isn't fully rifled.

Chef did you buy the synthetic or wood? I had a choice and went w/ synthetic NIB. Have had trouble w/the forearm fit. I have been reminded of the price and wonder if wood is a better fit and how they shoot and handle differently. I have not shot it yet as I got it from a retailer that will swap it out for wood if unshot and I am thinking about that.

BTW MERRY CHRISTMAS

dc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I have the camo synthetic. Is it the fit or are you having trouble putting it back together. I has to go a certain way or it won't work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Merry Christmas.

It is the fit. The forearm goes back together. The barrel fits the receiver tight.

The forearm grip just has a slight gap and shifts back and forth about an eighth of an inch. Just enough to be annoying. Almost like a washer is missing between the forearm and the forend cap. Wondering if the wood is a better fit and if the problem is with the 'plastic'.

Also wondering how woods shots/handles different from synthetic. Have not shot it yet as thinking about swappind it back for a wooden NIB at the same store. As a first time shooter I appreciate the help.

Is this a minor problem that is 'fixable' with loctite, and where did you use the loctite; on the receiver end or the barrel end or both? Any problems with it since?

Appreciate your help.

dc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I used the loctite on where the stock screws into the reciever. It came loose. The fore end fits tight.

I would take it back and see what the dealer says. Check out the others they have in stock. It maybe just that one or they may find the reason it is loose. Exchange it if the dealer will and you want to.

Wood or synthetic won't effect how it shoots or handles. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:18 pm 
thanks for your advice and suggestions.
dc :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:27 pm 
Field Grade

dc, did you tighten the forend cap until it clicked? My wood version is snug, with no movement whatsoever. I cranked the forend cap down pretty tight, until it clicked four or five times.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:16 pm 
finally figured it out. The washers go on the INSIDE not the outside. Re-installed the barrel to the receiver with the washers on the inside, screwed the cap down and it was as tight as a drum. No more rattle. If I wasn't a rookie I would more stupid than I do.

Took it back down and cleaned and oiled it and hit the field later that same day. Did not expect much given the fact I had never shot it before-hand and did not know how it would cycle and handle outside the store.

The third shot dropped my first pheasant.

Now if I only had a dog.....to find the darn bird. Still a better day than I expected. Shot great.

Thanks for your help.
this cycled like a dream, easy to carry, swings well, well balanced for me. Did not have as big a kick as I expected.

This feels alot like the more expensive Montrefeltros I had in my hands for the heck of it at about one third the price.

So far so good. I think one thing that helped was cleaning the grease off and re-oiling before we went out. Thanks to reading your forum I picked up that tip and followed the manual recommendations.

Now if someone could recommend a good Lab breeder I may be able to find what I hit.
dc