CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta S55 and S65 questions.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:22 am 
Diamond Grade

I am looking for opinions on these guns as there are a couple for sale locally.
Do they have any inherent flaws?
Would they be suitable for the clay games, doubles and sporting clays?
What kind of prices would they be worth?
Thanks! :D

Post subject: Re: Beretta S55 and S65 questions.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:06 pm 
up

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

:D Just to try to help out: I recently came across an S55, and the metal seems perfect. Wood had a few handling scratches, no gouges, and the action is tight. I really don't think it has been fired. I searched these forums, and could find nothing. I consulted with my gunsmith and after looking through numerous "Blue Books" types, found one reference(year publish-?) He quoted the gun model made in the 1960's, 95% about $550. If I remember correctly, 100% at $600 to $650, somehere around there. Have not shot mine yet. 12 gauge, 2 & 3/4", improved and modified, extractors. Nice engraving, the P. Beretta and city in Italy on sides and the standing Goddess or whatever on bottom of receiver, rosette over hinge, accent engraving around action break lines. :shock: If 3" not marked on sides, I would only use what is marked, in my case 2 & 3/4
Very nice O/U

John 3:16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

TYhanks for the info Texas!

The ones I looked at seemed very tight, good lumber. Seemed that they had some of the "old school quality", that you don't often see these days. I noticed that they had gas checks machined into the face, wood very well fitted. Nice guns the both of them. Asking prices may have been a tad on the high side though, and I thought I would invetigate more, before taking the plunge on one of them. I heard from another web site, that parts may be hard to get for them, although I don't know how to onfirm this. It would be a drag to break a firing pin, and find out they are obsolete now. These were both fixed chokes full, and modified, and the S65 was chambered for 3"

I hope you enjoy your firearm, and again, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

12 ga.,
I am not going to worry about broken parts, that's what gunsmiths are for :D
I agree with you about "old world quality" I look at mine and think it looks a lot better than the cheaper Baikels and Condors I have seen, and for the money I spent a great savings compared to new Berettas and Citori's.
Blue books are a year old when published, and don't necessarily reflect true values. Of course, gun traders rely on those prices when trading. I more or less considered current value and desirablility. One of my best buys. :shock:
Wish I could find others.
If you get one, I think you will enjoy, course as I said, haven't shot it yet, but it "feels good" to mount to shoulder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Texas, what are you waiting for? I thought you would be able to get out shooting anytime,in that balmy southern weather!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Weather is right, conditions are not right :shock:
Do plan to do a lot of shooting after the first :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:37 pm 
I have an S55 that I purchased in 1971 while on a Med cruise with the USN. The gun was brought onboard in Barcelona, Spain, and I paid $125 for it. I have not been able to find out much about this gun either, but it matches the description previously provided. I have used it for deer hunting, using 2.75" 00 Buckshot or rifled slugs. I love the feel and looks of the gun, and it still looks like new.

I have no intention of selling it, but would like an approximate value. If you want to reach me, send an email to va85@hotmail.com.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a Beretta S55 in 12GA at a gunshow three of years ago. It is in excellent condition and I paid $400 for it from a guy walking around trying to sell or trade it. I have been frustrated by the lack of information available about this model. From what I have gathered it was a non-import model available in Europe only made in the mid to late 60s. I have also heard that it was the pre silver snipe model. More info about this gun would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: re: Beretta S55 and S65 questions.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 am 
Field Grade

I normally shoot a Beretta 686 but i also shoot a Beretta S55 myself and i love it i got it cheap off a family friend and Im delighted to hear other people have an interest in classic over and unders!! These guns were manufactured between berettas two plants in Italy and Argentina hence the two marks on the gun! Believe it or not the S55 was the first in the line of Berettas affordable over and under shotguns specifically for game hence the weight!! Baikal and other gun makers were making huge profits with high quality affordable shotguns in the late 50's early 60's so Beretta ventured into the "affordable" gun market for the first time! This is a quote from the Beretta website: "the various versions of the Beretta AS with Anson sidelocks, the complete series of the famous Beretta S-55 which represent the first example ever of a hunting over-and under of quality at a reasonable price and the first series of shotguns to be assembled with the component parts treated and finished before assembling."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 am 
Crown Grade

The Beretta S55 B and S58 were sold at many American Rod and Gun Clubs in Europe during the late 60s and early 70s. Never heard of the S65 and it is not listed in the Blue Book. Did you mean S56 E, which is a S55 B with engraved receiver and auto ejectors. Anyway, the S55 and S58 kicked like mules to most shooters. I used the S58 for a couple of years in skeet in southern Italy and I would come home with a bruised and bloody face. The S55 and 56 are light and probably great for hunting, but too light and too sharp a comb for much shotgun sports.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Beretta S57E that I purchased new in the 1970's from Italian Sportinng Goods in Vancouver, BC. It has beautifully engraved false sideplates and very nice wood. I believe that these S55,56,57 were the European equivalent of the BL series in the US and were still primarily hand made as opposed to the 686 and 687 series which followed. The fitting, engraving and workmanship are much nicer than the newer guns. The only thing I do not like about mine is the European style swivel fitting welded right on to the barrel! Italina Sporting Goods in Vancouver were huge importers of Berettas back then. I think they were the Canadian distributors. They are still in business and Gino or Mike can probably help you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an S55, and I love it. I don't remember on top of my head what year it is, but I think it's from the 70s. I think the last two digits of the serial number can tell me what year it is. I like that it has two triggers, which is un-usual today. It's nice when hunting since often I decide to fire the last barrel if I only got one shot and I don't have to worry switches.