Shotgun Forum banner

Boito 12 ga. O/U Value

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Leo M' Glass 
#1 ·
I need some help with this one! I am looking to purchase this gun, but I feel the seller is asking too much. This gun is rated "Good" (NRA Rating) by the seller. I asked the seller what is the blueing percent, and the reply was 95%. I then asked why the "Good" rating instead of "Excelent". He's reply to me was he likes to rate low so buyers receive something better than what they thought they bought. I could understand this, but in one of the pictures the barrel next to the receiver looks rusted. Last story short, he's asking $300 for this. If you need to see the picture you can PM me and I direct you to where they are. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

#4 ·
Sigs-

Do a search on this site and elsewhere on the internet... the Boito is generally regarded as being pretty bad. If that's the upper limit of what you are able to spend, I'd look for a pump gun or well used autos... there are very few decent O/U's that can be obtained in that price range, and you are usually buying someone elses headache.

There are exceptions to that... the Marlin Ranger, Stevens 311, etc... but all are older, and sourcing parts can be a bit tricky.

#5 ·
drsfmd said:
Sigs-

Do a search on this site and elsewhere on the internet... the Boito is generally regarded as being pretty bad. If that's the upper limit of what you are able to spend, I'd look for a pump gun or well used autos... there are very few decent O/U's that can be obtained in that price range, and you are usually buying someone elses headache.

There are exceptions to that... the Marlin Ranger, Stevens 311, etc... but all are older, and sourcing parts can be a bit tricky.
Yes, this is the upper limit I'm able to spend. I have a Mossberg 9200 semi-auto already (paid $250) for it and have never had any problems with it. I was just looking for a cheap O/U to use on the trap range. I'm tired of picking up my shells off the ground after each round. I also want to use this to introduce my wife to the shotgunning world.

#6 ·
In that case, I'd look for a Stevens 311 (which is a SxS), the Marlin Ranger, the Savage O/U's (none of the model #'s come to mind at the moment).

Given that you want to introduce your wife, you may want to consider a sub gauge... you don't want to beat her up with recoil and turn her off to the hobby.

#7 ·
drsfmd said:
In that case, I'd look for a Stevens 311 (which is a SxS), the Marlin Ranger, the Savage O/U's (none of the model #'s come to mind at the moment).

Given that you want to introduce your wife, you may want to consider a sub gauge... you don't want to beat her up with recoil and turn her off to the hobby.
Thanks for the feedback...I will look into these other models that you speak of.

Thanks again.

#8 ·
I had a Bioto O/U years ago. First, $300 is way too much. I've seen these guns in excellent condition selling in the $175-$200 range. Secondly, if some one offered to give me one along with a box of shells I'd keep the box of shells and give the gun back. Seriously, they have to be one of the worst doubleguns ever made. A lot of problems with poor quality metals, soft firing pins etc..

#9 ·
I,too, once owned a Boito. It was under the back seat of a wrecked car at my buddy's father's wrecking yard. Soft metal,poor fit and finish were obvious but I did fire the gun for about 20 shells and then it started misfiring and doubling. Then it stopped going bang at all. Never got it fixed. It could be around here somewhere??

Now,don't get me wrong, I am not BASHING the Boito but mine was really worthless. In my opinion, your money could be better spent on another gun but,hey,what do I know? :lol:

#10 ·
Thank you ShotgunT and A5guy for your feedback. I am reconsidering this purchase. Your opinions and personal experiences expressed were invaluable to me in this decision. That's why I came back to these message boards, for my second shotgun purchase. Thanks again.[/quote]

#11 ·
I have a Boito O/U 12 ga. In my opinion, You can do alot better for alot less. I wouldn't recommend a Boito to anybody.
Rough, crude, poor fit and finish and that's putting it mildly.
The best thing K-Mart ever did was quit importing them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.