CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gold Hibbard Shotgun
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I would like to know any information including value pertaining to this shotgun. It is a Gold Hibbard double barrel shotgun with the following inscriptions:
DAMASCUS FINISH
Belium
Patent #488366 - Dec. 20,1892
The left barrel has the inscription "CHOKE"
The right barrel has the inscription "PIEPER BREECH"
The numbers/letters 41109 OA 58 along with several other inscriptions appear under the forstock.

Any information would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Gold Hibbard Shotgun
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Your gun was likely made by Henri or Nicolas Pieper in Liege or Herstel Belgium, around the turn of the century..The only Hibbard I'm familiar with is Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett of Chicago.. they Imported a lot of inexpensive guns from Belgium in this time frame. The value is $50 to $200 depending on Gauge and condition.. Bushrod

Post subject: Re: Gold Hibbard Shotgun
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks,

In doing a little more research I believe the gun was made by a gunsmith in Belgium named Neumann Freres. In the assembly of the gun he used the Pieper Breech design. Apparently, many of these firearms were shipped to the U.S. and sold under the Hibbard trade name at the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Co. stores in Chicago. From what I can tell, I think your right on with the value.

Thanks.