CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ammo for Mossberg 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:46 am 
Utility Grade

Greetings,
I recently purchased a mossberg 500. Got a great deal, synthetic stock and forearm, came with a 28" shotgun barrel, 3 choke tubes, and a 24" slug barrel. My questions is mostly ammo related. Suggestions on good ammo for either barrel would be appreciated. Also, I purchased an 18.5 inch replacement barrel from cabelas. When it arrived I noticed it was not threaded for any choke. I purchased the additional barrel as it was smaller, and made the shotgun easier to store in the home for protection. Is this a slug barrel as well or does it not require a choke tube? Thanks for any input, I am a new shotgun owner, and don't want to ruin any of the 3 barrels with the wrong ammo. :?:

Post subject: Re: Ammo for Mossberg 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:02 am 
Limited Edition

I think many here will agree with my comments. There is no one brand that all guns shoot well. While it may be costly at first, you need to buy (or get from somebody) a number of different brands and shot sizes for whatever you plan on using. Then, pattern them. You'll find that some shoot better and truer (Point of Impact) than others. The only exception to this is with steel shot. There's certain chokes that cannot be used, too tight, with them. The box that the ammo comes in will give you recommended chokes for it.

David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Mossberg will digest pretty much anything you feed it (within gauge / length of chamber spec, in your case 3").

For home defense I suggest the shorter bbl and an ounce of #9 (find a skeet load) shot. This stuff is VERY small, however it's very effective close in. You don't necessarilly want to KILL an intruder (if you say this to a grand jury you can figure on proscecution for murder, or attempted murder, or at least ADW). You DO want to STOP an intruder.

If you're going to plan on a shotgun for home defense, that's good. Your choice in firearms is right on. I recommend a "retreat behind the gun" philosophy, rather than a 'confront' one. Get your family behind the gun and get OUT of the house - break out a window... whatever. Let the intruder have the place, and only advertise your presence if you can't help it.

Not the surest way to protect your valuables, but the surest way to protect your family, IMO. They ARE my valuables, figure you feel the same way (just a guess).

I keep my shotgun loaded, with the chamber empty. If you do wish it known that you're dangerous you simply pull the trigger, rack the slide and you're ready to go. You have to have a LOT of faith in your gun and you're responsible for ensuring it only goes off when YOU want. This means you pay attention to it.

I'll be happy to discuss this at length if you want, simply PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:58 pm 
Javven, I am in total agreement with your thoughts on home protection, believe me. I hope I never have to grab the firearm for any use other than sport. I guess my main concern, after reading all the warnings in the manual about possibly ruining the guns barrel, is to make sure I don't.
I am fairly certain that I will not use the slug barrel often at all. So that brings me to my two shotgun barrels. The 28" is ported, with two bead sights, and is threaded for a choke tube, the additional 18" barrel I purchased is not ported, with a single beed site, and no threads for a choke. I am concerned about the 18", and that I was at risk of ruining the barrel without a choke. Is it safe to assume that this barrel requires no choke, and can handle pretty much any shotgun shell?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

The 18" BBL does have a choke. Choke refers to choke constriction - that being the final diameter of the barrel in relation to the inside diameter midway down the tube. The Mossy comes in I think either Cylinder or Improved Cylinder on the 18" BBL. Rest easy, it HAS a choke.

You can safely shoot birdshot down this barrel. If it IS IC or CYL (Short of Improved Cylinder and CYLinder respectively) you could shoot slugs with it, no problem.

The other barrels probably have screw-in type chokes. For trap I suggest Modified. For Skeet I suggest Improved (same as Improved Cylinder), since you'll probably have both. Which of the longer barrels you use depends on what you're doing with it and which you prefer, honestly.

For home defense stick with the shortie. Short length is nice and 18" is still plenty to get the job done. Longer barrels are nice for their longer sight plane, and when they're compared to barrels shorter than 20" they do shoot somewhat harder.

Anyhow. Use the 18". Use bird shot. 'nuff said :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:36 pm 
I have a few points i'd like to make here. First the 18.5 inch barrel is intended for home/self defense use. I would tend to think that if i criminal is brazen enough to break into an occupied house he is also brazen enough to kill someone if he has to, unless he is very very stupid. I would go for something a bit heavier than no 9 shot though, if have a armed assailent in your house threatening u i would think u would want a load that u are sure of its ability to neutralize the threat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:46 am 
Field Grade

Birdshot??? If someone breaks into my house;assuming my dogs don't have him for dinner,I don't want to "piss em" off.Nuff said. Rick ___________________________________________________ "I never point a gun at anything I don't intead to shoot,and I never shoot anything I don't intead to kill"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:25 am 
Diamond Grade

OK, well I guess it's cool to talk all tough. However the "Yeah, any mother#$@er comes into my house I'm shooting his @$$ dead" attitude could get you 25 to life.

If you want to roll the dice and play with your DA go right ahead. When you shoot someone in this area you go before a grand jury. PERIOD, even on-duty cops with hundreds of witnesses do it.

The DA WILL ASK you about the ammo you chose. The DA WILL ASK you about your intent. Like I said... you want to roll the dice here go ahead. "So, why did you choose 'XYZ Magnum Buckshot' for your home defense ammunition, Mr Tough-Guy?"

This is the kind of question you have to be prepared to answer. Sure, that's after the fact but if I put importance on whether I'll be spending the rest of my life getting @$$-raped or not. So yes you have to think about this. Or not, and as I said roll the dice.

Also, what about people in other parts of the house? Birdshot's probably not going beyond the first layer of drywall. What if the guy KILLS the perp, goes to jail for it AND kills his own kid in the next room because of over-penetration or a bad shot (Think, darkness, you're tired... etc etc).

Birdshot don't just tickle, bros. Up close it's like having your flesh bead-blasted from your body. Force-ripping the muscle and skin from your ribcage will put pretty much anyone on their butt. Moreover, having your eyes exploded, your nasal passage peppered with hot lead, parts of your face torn from your flesh... etc.... well suffice it to say it's not fun.

Buckshot WILL Give you more penetration. A greater chance the perp will die. A greater chance his family will sue you and you and yours will never have a penny to your names. Buckshot will not be a signifigant improvement over birdshot on a perp wearing body armor. Most thieves won't be, it's cumbersome and expensive. Thieves need to be quick and usually they're dirt-poor (A thousand-dollar vest is out of their pricerange, even a $300 vest probably is).

If someone's that hyped-up on dope the additional penetration probably isn't going to do much for you.

So... be a tough guy... go right on and kill that guy who breaks into your house. GO ahead and tell me what the 'law' is in your state. I really don't care. I've seen the process from the inside, and it's not pretty.

Again, my suggestion? Birdshot, plenty of rounds, a speakerphone with the cops on speed-dial, a light on your gun (bright as you can get), a plan to escape the house and a place to go to call the cops if you can't do it in this house.

In the case of a knife-weilding perp vs you with your gun, punch speed-dial (that phone should be CLOSE to your head when you're asleep) and holler at the top of your lungs:

"Drop your knife! I have a gun! I've called the police! Back away! Drop your knife!", etc etc. THEN if he does charge you and you've got to drop him you have a recorded conversation defending you. The police WILL come as they can trace your address. I'd still try to leave if possible. Just yell everything you're doing so the cops hear and know where you're at (it'd really suck to be the only guy the cops see with a gun when they get there, oops).

Now, if you haven't seen the perp it might be best to slip out and THEN dial 911. It wouldn't hurt to think this stuff through before going off like some here and being all macho about it (don't really mean this post). Your life, livelyhood and family could depend on it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

javven,my friend,you make some good points.But on the rebuttal:The perv won't be talking to tell his side,I not talking tuff...just fact....the DA is a very good friend of mine as is the police chief and sheriff,but the main thing is your area is not Alabama!!! take care,Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:43 am 
Limited Edition

I have to agree with Rick, except for one little twist. First and foremost, I'd have at least 2 rounds in the gun. Both would be buckshot. The first shot would be at him. The second in the wall near him.
Now, the all important questions... why do that and what do you tell the cops??? Simple! I told the CRIMINAL "I don't want to kill you"... the reason why one shot is in the wall. But, the CRIMINAL didn't listen. Thus, the reason why he/she is dead. The cops can't figure out which shot went first. And more importantly, the CRIMINAL can't defend himself.

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

I still see no reason to use buckshot.

If you're close enough, hot gasses force-injected into the vitals is usually fatal. Projectiles are just exit wounds. The real problem is "Oh, look... liquid lung...". The entire cast of ER ain't bringing you back from that one.

Also, you can tell the police whatever you want. The real issue is what the DA and a grand jury thinks. YMMV here. I've actually heard enough cases where a perp was shot dead on the doorstep. .44 to the skull, he never had a chance. However, there've also been cases where a man was STANDING OVER the homeowner, when the homeowner shot him with a pistol he had under his pillow. The shot deafened the man.

The owner was convicted but it was overturned on appeal. Still, he was in jail for nearly a YEAR.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:04 pm 
Field Grade

javven,maybe you're right on buckshot....use a least no.4 shot,like for turk hunting.I can see you're point as I hope you see mine.I guess it all boils down to an old saying that I use in defending my use of a .300 mag. for whitetail hunting."Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Rick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:05 am 
Sorry to start this debate...
Any ideas as to what sort of slug ammunition to look for, I don't believe my slug barrel is rifled, at least when I look into it I don't see any grooves running along the inside the barrel. Anyone else have this model that might have a suggestion?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I tend to agree with Javven on choice of ammo. I have spent lots of time searching for the best type of ammo for home defense and have recieved many, many opinions. I fired a round of #7.5 birdshot into a tree at 10-15 yards and judging by the damage done to the tree, I don't think a perpetrator would just bounce up and keep charging. If they do, I will have another round of the same shot ready for them.

It is always best to do as Javven says and retreat behind your weapon and let the intruder know that you are armed. Hopefully just the sound of a shell being chambered would send them running. Don't try to be a warrior and confront the intruder with guns blazing. Let him make the decision to come to you. I feel that I would have a better chance in a defensive situation behind a bed than I would in an offensive situation (even though I know the layout of the house better than the intruder). I want to leave no doubt in anyones mind that I was shooting in defense.

JMO,
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anonymous wrote:
Sorry to start this debate...
Any ideas as to what sort of slug ammunition to look for, I don't believe my slug barrel is rifled, at least when I look into it I don't see any grooves running along the inside the barrel. Anyone else have this model that might have a suggestion?

If your barrel is not rifled, you will want to try foster style rifled slugs. I have the same gun you have, but have not fired any slugs through it, so i can't even begin to recommend a brand of ammunition to start with. All I know is Mossberg recommends using a Improved cyclinder choke for slugs. Buy a selection of brands and see which ones are most accurate for your gun. Every gun is different, so you will have to find the ammo that works best for your gun.

Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

The only ammo problem I've ever had with my moss. 20 was off the shelf Federal Dove & Quail. Three times the empty locked up in the chamber so tight I had to put the butt on my knee and use both hands to pump it out. It hasn't happened with other brands before or since, so I steer clear of them. As for the best ammo, that is found by shooting patterns with various brands with the choke you intend to use at 30" targets at about 35-40 yards. Tedious and costly, unless your buddies chip in a couple of shells each, but it's what it takes to really know your gun. AS for your mystery choke short barrel, it must be marked somewhere on the barrel what it is. I would call cabells and ask for clarifcation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:08 pm 
Utility Grade

A homeowner who injures, maims or even kills an intruder is on the right side of the law, starting today in Ohio. if someone breaks into my home i will not offer them tea.i will offer them a shell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I too have the same setup with the three barrels. The 22" you got with the gun is Rifled (99.9%). I shoot the Remington 3" Accutip Slug for deer, and it will put a 3 to 3.5 inch group at 100 yards.

The 18.5" barrel is not rifled and should say what it is tapered (choked to), mine is Cylinder. It doesn't have screw-in chokes so you can shoot anything you want through it (12ga. 2.5" & 3"), whatever shot number you prefer. I'm not joining the self defense debate. I choose 00 buck and BB for my home defense.

The other guys are right about testing patterns with your 28" barrel. You should have 3 screw-in chokes that came with the gun. Mine warned me to NOT shoot Steel shot thru the stock chokes. I purchased aftermarket accu-chokes in order to shoot steel when hunting waterfowl. I also can shoot lead or copper thru these chokes if I prefer with no damage. Just DON'T shoot the 28" without a choke of some kind inserted, you WILL damage the screw threads for the choke in the barrel.

The only other mod I have made to my 500 is I installed a 6 Position Collapsible Stock and I did this because I'm disabled and sometimes need to shoot from a wheelchair and it allows me to perfectly fit my situation as far as stock length. I do feel more recoil, but that's due to the fact I didn't want to spend more and get an adjustable stock that also incorporates a recil reducing mechanism. There is a ton of mod's available for the Mossberg 500.

I hope this helps in some way. Enjoy your Mossy. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I found this info that might interest you for your Home Defense questions viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958 I found this after writing my other Reply

BigDog58

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pssst...this thread was started 7 years ago. No need to drag up idiocy from that far in the past, it happens every day around here.

Unless it's from those on the Left.