Shotgun Forum banner

SxS Turkey Gun?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Frank Lopez 
#1 ·
I am interested in making an old L.C. Smith or LeFever 12 bore into a turkey gun. I want to know if this is too much trouble because i would need to lengthen the chambers to 3" and have x full turkey chokes installed. if i start with a $500 gun, how much will the smithing cost? is a lightly rust pitted bore something to avoid like the plague? thanks in advance for the info.
Rusty 75

#2 ·
You Do Not want a pitted bore, if you find a non pitted one, send it to Briley.

BT

#3 ·
Not that I'm an expert on either the Elsie or the LeFever, but I wouldn't recommend the changes you're talking about. First off, while stout guns, the Elsie has a reputation for cracked stocks. This condition is even more likely when shooting 3 inch shells.

See if you can find a Stevens 311 that already has 3 inch chambers and a full and modified choke. Chokes on the earlier 311s were probably tighter than what you'll find today because of the inferior ammunition available back then, It is a heavy gun, but it is tough.

If you really have your heart set on the Elsie of the LeFever, why not leave the gun as is and see how it patterns with Hevi Shot in 2 3/4 inch loads. You may have to have the chokes opened, but it would be worth it.

Frank

#7 ·
rusty75 said:
well i found my lefever. it is a 12 gauge nitro special with 28" barrels F/M in about 95% condition. hopefully it will pattern with the existing chokes. is a lefever too old to open the chambers to 3"?
I would ask that question of a very good gunsmith. Personally, I wouldn't open the chambers or chokes in this case. You do not need 3 inch shells for turkey, or any other bird except maybe waterfowl with steel loads. Use either #4 or #5 shot in what ever 2 3/4 inch cartrdges that performs best in the gun and you'll be good out to 40 yards. Learn to use your call and camo and get the bird in close and there'll be no doubt.

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.