Shotgun Forum banner

Browning Citori 3.5 Satin Hunter

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  uglydog 
#1 ·
I am real interested in the Browning Citori Satin Hunter. I'm starting to shoot alot of sporting clays but I like to hunt with what I practice with. Do alot of Duck hunting and turkey hunting. Like the Idea of two chokes in the turkey woods and there is no way the gun can out kick a 870, 3.5 inch mag. Although I'm getting very interested in sporting clays, I really don't care about fancy engraving. As long as the gun will last like the reputation of a citori I'm thinking a set of Comp N Chokes and I'm good to go. What do ya'll think? Is this gun as good as the higher priced Browning's, just not as fancy?

#2 ·
Yes, the satin hunter is as good as the other Citoris. I think all of the Citoris are almost the same except for the configuration, engraving, and stocking, etc. Should make you a very nice gun for the uses listed. Citors are extremely well made guns that will last several lifetimes with a little care.

I saw your question about the 3.5" chambers on the Browning forum. I do not think there is a downside to the chamber length in that it will shoot 3" and 2 3/4 inch shells just fine. But the gun for with 3.5" chambers will be heavier than the 3 inch model. The 3.5" shells are loaded to a higher pressure and the guns that shoot them are generally a little heavier because of the beefed up chamber area. So if you don't mind the extra weight and you think you could use the payload, go for it.

#3 ·
I bought a 3.5" Citori Hunter back in 1996 or '97 and used if for sporting and hunting until I bought a 525 a couple years ago. I found it unpleasant to shoot with lead 1 5/8 oz goose loads (you could use them in Canada then) and later thought the same with the longest steel loads. The couple of times I used an 870 Super Mag I thought the recoil was less but that is likely as much gun fit as anything. I I found the 30" barrels to be slightly more nose heavy than I like but 8 oz or so of lead in the butt fixed that. The frame is different than the standard Citoris, mine is slightly thicker with the weight being about 8 oz heavier than a standard model. Internally, I found the springs, firing pins, and other small parts are the same as on the standard guns so routing repair shouldn't be a problem. I liked my gun a lot, enough that it is still my back up for sporting clays and still a mainstay when hunting ducks over water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.