CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yildiz O/U review
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a Yildiz 12 ga. O/U from Academy for 386.00 and this was the cheaper of the two, this one had the silver side plates and blued 28" barrels. The wood for the stock looked excellent and closely matched some of my more expensive guns. I ended up shooting about a case of heavy dove loads this past weekend and the gun shot great, it is still a little stiff to break open but seems to be getting better. If someone is looking for their 1st O/U and they are not wanting to spend a grand or better then I just don't see how you can go wrong with the Yildiz, they are also serviced by Briley in Houston.

Post subject: re: Yildiz O/U review
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:29 am 
Limited Edition

They are good entry level O/U's. I have a 12 and a 20 gage. My brother liked mine so much he now has one. I've even been able to afford extended chokes for mine. It's kind of neat to shoot better at the sporting clay shoots with a gun half the price of the other guys. :D

There have been some posts about some owners having the bottom barrells shooting low recently. :( I hope these issues are resolved, so they can enjoy thier guns.

Wiggles Sadie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1030

Will Munny
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1031

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Glad your Yildiz is shooting great. I talked to the people at Briley again today and they said they have to wait on Yildiz/Academy to tell them what to do with the guns that are shooting low. There are two options: Replace the barrels with new ones or do something with the chokes to change where the gun shoots. I don't know much about the second option, does anyone know what they would do? I don't think I would want them to make it shoot special chokes, because it seems that would render all my factory chokes useless.

Post subject: Re: re: Yildiz O/U review
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:26 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

AustinTXShooter wrote:
Glad your Yildiz is shooting great. or do something with the chokes to change where the gun shoots. I don't know much about the second option, does anyone know what they would do? I don't think I would want them to make it shoot special chokes, because it seems that would render all my factory chokes useless.

I believe what the 2nd option entails is actually re-cutting the threads for the factory choke tubes, but in a slightly non-concentric manner. So, the choke tubes are pointing in a very slightly different direction than the bore. This slight deviation gently alters the trajectory of the shot, so that it will impact to the same point of aim as the top barrel (or at least close enough that it's not readily apparent).

I guess it would depend on how far "off" your bottom barrel is from your top barrel on whether or not they could do this. If it's like a foot low at 30 yds, I would think this could fix the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, so I assume the original choke tubes would still fit?