CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crescent .410
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a nice little SxS .410 marked 'Crescent-Davis' and 'Crescent Certified Shotgun'. It is a sidelock, too. The barrel ribs are perfect and the barrels ring true, no 'thuds'! Lock-up is tight with no gap between the barrels and receiver. It has been case-colored, rust blued and restocked with some beautiful wood. The stock has a straight grip with some cast-off and toe out. Anyways, on to my question! The chambers are 3". Personally, I believe they have been lengthened. According to info I have, the gun was probably made in the early '30s under the command of Savage. I am wondering if the chambers were originally 2-1/2" or possibly shorter. The 44 XL was long obsolete by then, I think. I am not asking for an evaluation over the 'net, just an opinion on whether these type of chamber conversions are safe. Thanks!

Post subject: re: Crescent .410
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:25 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I Doubt there is much difference in the chamber pressure of the two lengths, However if it was mine ,I would use 2 1/2.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree on the chamber pressures between the two. I can only base that assumption on pressures listed in my reloading manuals. I have been using 2-1/2" shells, though. If I remember correctly, Winchester introduced the 3" shell in 1933 with their Model 42. That fact makes me wonder if my Crescent was originally 2-1/2".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

F.W.I.W. I've worked on a .410 Crescent. While they were built on a small frame, I wouldn't call it a true .410 frame. Thus the barrell walls were relatively thick, near the breech, in order to fit the frame. I wouldn't be concerned with using 3" loads.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Jim,
I just bought a new DeHaan .410 and was surprised to see how much smaller it is compared to my Crescent. The Crescent does have a heavy duty chamber area. Someone did a lot of work on the ol' Crescent. It really looks sharp. I understand that restocking a side lock SxS can run $1000 or more! I just wonder who, and why, all that effort was put into a utility gun like a Crescent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:38 pm 
Utility Grade

By 1930's the 3" shell was in use in the US and guns were being chambered for it. The 44XL was still around as an off the shelf item for those who had existing guns. No new guns were being chambered for the 44XL by the early 1920's. The 44XL continued to be sold until the early 1950's or so.

NR Davis merged with Crescent, then under the ownership of H&D Folsom about 1929. J Stevens Arms Co. purchased the company about 1931. They continued to market the C-D (Crescent Davis) name until 1941.

The problem is that Stevens apparently used up old stock by assembling new guns. So it is hard to tell what the original chamber length was.

Pete