Shotgun Forum banner

Bayard

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sverwiel 
#1 ·
I have an old Belgian Bayard shotgun. From the proof and bore markings I can figure that it is manufactured in the period between 1910 and 1924.

It has a very special locking system, which I have never seen on any other shotgun, see photo in the "Shotgun Album"

Anybody around here having any clues on the history of this gun?

Many thanks - Ole, Denmark

#3 ·
That's right.

It is actually marked "Anciens Etablissements Pieper Herstal" and does also have the text "Pour Poudre Vives" which in French means for smokeless powder.

The small Knight on the horse is riding along the barrels towards the muzle - I've seen on never Bayards that he is riding across the barrels instead. Any idea as to when this was changed?

Tks - Ole

#8 ·
notmyownname said:
Anybody around here having any clues on the history of this gun? Many thanks - Ole, Denmark
At you the most traditional for the Russian hunters of the end XIX and the beginnings of XX century a fowling piece. It is made at the factory of Henry Pipera largest at that time in Belgium (Henry Pieper). She let out the serial inexpensive weapon which was got willingly by average-income hunters in Russia. Their cost approximately corresponded to the monthly salary of the qualified worker or the fine employee.
G.Piper was born in Westphalia in 1840, at nineteen-year age has moved to the city of Liege. Soon in 1866 it has opened own firm in suburb of Liege small town Herstal. Once she really began with the first guns, collected by Piper, then has extended and has turned in modern, till measures XIX centuries, the enterprise. The firm for that one of the first in Europe has applied the technology based on a principle of interchangeability of details, well mastered by then in England was known, and has created in Belgium a batch production hunting ðóæåé. The enterprise repeatedly changed a pattern of ownership, owners and the name and has stopped activity only in 1957.
Special the first fowling pieces Piper do not represent value, these are usual for second half XIX century rude guns of a unfinished design. From them guns with the kept first inscriptions and brands Piper are interesting to collectors only. But they to Russia never acted. To any school of masters-gunmakers it did not belong, and there were no actually these schools. It was the largest European gunmaker and the organizer of weapon manufactures of time. In each weapon center, for example in Zuhl in Germany, in Liege in Belgium,

Saint-Etienne in France, Tula and Izhevsk in Russia and so on, adhered to those or other traditions.
Guns Piper differed serial assembly, corresponding to products of other Belgian serial manufacturers accuracy of assembly and quality. But in their Russia was most of all, and owing to this many of them were kept and style and a level of weapon manufacture of boundary XIX-XX of centuries have informed up to us. In total before the First world war firm Pipera has imported into Russia more 500000 hunting guns and other manual weapon. Safety of a fowling piece in the fourth generation of hunters entirely your merit.
The inscription on trunks in French " Anciens Etablissements Pieper Herstal " concerns to the name of the enterprise, it is translated as follows: " Former enterprise Pipera in Herstal ".
Such original name has been registered after G.Pipera's death by its successors to immortalize merits of the founder. The trade mark of firm became a brand with the image of the horseman and an inscription "Bayard".

Sorry for BAD English! :wink:

#9 ·
Maxun, thank you very much for that information.

Welcome to Shotgun World. We are very happy to have you with us on this forum. I am sure you have a lot of information you can contribute.

You do not need to apologize for your English. It is much better than my Russian!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.