Shotgun Forum banner

WINCHESTER SUPREME SPORTING

18K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  deckart 
#1 ·
Hey kids, I just purchased a Winchester Supreme Sporting o/u shotgun in 12 gauge with 30" ported barrels. Only had one box of shells through it. Like new in the box. I gave $1,000.00 for it. Does anyone have one of these? Can you give me some feedback on how you like it? Did I pay too much?
Thanks,
Nantan2 :wink:

#2 ·
The Winchester Supreme was the model before the Winchester Select line of guns. The Supreme was quite frankly a flop - in that the gun was set up all wrong - quite muzzle heavy. The first version was awful, the secong version slightly better. The Select line hit the nail on the head and are fantastic guns - due to the redesigned barrel profile. Mechanically all guns are the same.
I see that the Select Energy Sporter sells for around $1400 in the US - you paid $1000 for a NIB Supreme - not bad - but I would have tried to lower the price - as its a superceeded model. If the gun performs well and you shoot well with it - thats all you need.

Con

#3 ·
I bought a Winchester Supreme Sporting with a recoil compensator when I had shoulder surgery. I have had no problems with this shotgun, the gun has never failed me, and I have no complaints with it. I have heard people say the gun is heavy, poorly balanced, and difficult to shoot. I think they are wrong, as I have shot some of my best sporting clays scores with it. I don't plan to get rid of it.
Did you get a good deal for $1000 for this new gun. Of course, the value is determined by you, but I think you did well. Learn to shoot it. It should serve you for a lifetime.

#5 ·
I have one just like yours and love it. I heard all that crap about how the barrels are to heavy and they are junk just because some writer in the UK said that is the way it is.
I took the but pad off and took a ziplock bag and put shot in it and stuck it in the stock. Kept adding untill it balanced at the hinge pin. Doesn't take very much. I have many fine o/u shotguns but find I shot this one the most. Have fun.

#6 ·
Guys,
apologies if I unsettled some people with my "flop" tag.

The Supreme guns (the first two versions) were technically brilliant but Winchester really should have addressed the balance issue - they were barrel heavy. If you liked it this way all and good - but the majority of shotgun users (not shotgun writers or journalists) did notice this. An experienced shooter would correct the balance easily by adding weight to the stock.

Anyway, what annoyed me is the way that Winchester didnt market this new shotgun - here Down Under that is. I only know of one guy who shoots the Supreme and I only know of 2 people (me included) who own the Select Energy.

The only gunsmith / writer who praised the gun was jason harris, who writes for the UK publication "Sporting Gun". This guy has worked for some of the premium gunmakers in the UK and knows his guns. He said technically the gun was top notch and the overall finish was superb - indeed high praise.

Cheers,
Con

#7 ·
Under normal hunting conditions, I agree that a barrel (muzzle) heavy gun may not handle well in the field. I don't think that I would want to walk all day with a gun of this balance (including the Winchester Supreme). On the sporting clays course or skeet field, however, the function for which the Supreme Sporting was designed, the heavy muzzle improves the shooter's swing and follow through. Whereas a lightweight shotgun tends to be "whippy", the heavier shotgun provides more uniform control on the target.

I shoot my Winchester Sporting shotgun well, and I like its looks. I don't understand why Winchester changed it (and so often) which ended up in the current version that hasn't met with much favor.

#8 ·
Texasbill,
Winchester changed this gun so much because they wanted a serious competition gun from the outset.

The Supreme (first 2 variants) did suffer from the critics very badly - first of all the gun was a fraction too light for a competition gun and the heavy barrels didnt win too many fans.

The Select line of guns now includes competition guns as well as hunting guns and the dimensions are much better - giving better handling.

Mind you, there is NOTHING wrong with the eariler two Supreme guns - they work well and its up to the individual.

To be honest, many gun critics have panned all the lastest Winchester guns - they seem to think that this gun was the re-incarnation of the 101 - which it will never be - its a different kettle of fish.

Con

#9 ·
I too have a the second generation of Select. After the first ones but before the oval checkering. I ended up putting 2 AA hulls filled with #8 shot. Held in with styrofoam pieces. Balances on front of hinge. Heavier barrels are good for follow-thru. I love the gun. Inside and out. I pd 800 for mine a year ago at Gander nib. The guns checkering changed and they were not well recieved. I snapped it up. It fit beautifully when I first tried it. I don't think you did too bad at a grand , it is a lot of gun. deckart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.