Shotgun Forum banner

391 Gas valve system

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ursusmajor 
#1 ·
I have tried several time to get the gas valve system apart with no luck. It seems I can't get a good grip and torque on the little tools they include. I have about 1750 rounds through it and would like to clean it thouroughly. Any ideas on loosening it up and extra tools that have worked getting this thing apart?

Thanks,
Nick

#3 ·
It's not on the Cole site anymore, but they probably still have them. Another shade tree gunsmith trick is to wrap a cloth around the barrel to protect it. Put a set of vise grips on one nut and another on the top nut and then rotate the top nut. Do not over tighten the vise grips and be careful not to scratch the barrel.

#8 ·
I use a Wondersocket and I like it. http://www.wondersocket.com/
NOTE: This is not the same thing that is sold under the name of "Wondersocket" at Lowe's or Home Depot. This one is especially designed for the 391. Click the link above!

It works with a 1/4" rachet, and I think it must be easier to use than Cole's wrench, which has a sliding T-bar. Of course, you need the rachet to go with it.

Breaking the lock nut loose the first time should not require a special socket, though. I didn't have much trouble with mine, using the factory wrenches (junk) but if yours are too tight for that I should think the vicegrips would do the job.

#9 ·
I just remembered something.....

There is a gunsmith named Dan Suggs who sells what looks like an improved version of the Wonder Socket.

Dan Suggs, Sporting Shotgun Services 753 Everist Dr Aberdeen MD 21001 410-688-1514, Fax 410-272-7775, sportingshotgunservices@hotmail.com

I saw it at a table that Suggs set up at a big SC shoot. It looks like a Wonder Socket with a short shaft in the center, that would go down into the tube that the nuts screw onto. That should help hold it in place as you screw off the .....whatever you call it - you know, the part that takes a lot of screwing off........ I started to buy one, but then I looked at the price tag...............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.