Shotgun Forum banner

"Valmet" shotguns..anybody ever heard of???

27K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Valmet 
#1 ·
There is a guy at my club that has a velma 12ga o/u up for sale. I have never heard of these guns but the price is right. Can anybody give me any information on Velma shotguns? Ever handled one...know where they're made? He is going to let me shoot it next sunday and that will be the determining factor in my decision but can you guys tell me anything about it?

Sam

#4 ·
okay it is a valmet o/u. he is one of those really old guys at the club willing to help the young buck like myslef. He said he bought it 10 years ago for $1200 and didn't like it and put it away. he said its like new..he never used it. he told me he will let me have it for $850. It is a 12ga o/u. don't have a model number yet though. he said next sunday he'll let me shoot it and see if i like it. this will be my first o/u. i'm wondering if it will be hard to get parts for it if anything were to happen... hope this helps

Sam,,,

#7 ·
YES !
Cause I'm from Finland.

Valmet guns (rifles also) was made in Finland during a long period (beginning at early 1900-century). Valmet and Tikka got togheter (1980's or early 1990's) and the brand is now Tikka.

Tikka is a part of Beretta (or Beretta a part of Tikka).

However Valmet is a very reliable and high-quality gun ! Valmet was one of the first, if not the first, introducing a shotgun with a different set of barrels in different calibers.

I had a Valmet 312 for about 10 years, but I sold it. Which was a VERY stupid thing to do.

The same goes for Tikka. Today very high-quality shotguns and rifles. Try them out !

FS

#8 ·
natty bumpo said:
I think Ben is right, It's probably a Valmet, made in Finland up to 1989, and then replaced by Tikka. Like Ben says, we need a model. How do you know it;s priced right? I don't think any of them that Stoeger imported were very high dollar.. Cheers .. Bushrd
Valmet shotguns were made in Finland to the year 1984, and after that they were made in Italy for a couple of years. Give me a photo, I could regonize the gun, if it is a Valmet.

#9 ·
If you check this months American Rifleman, they have a vintage Valmet ad from 25 years ago. Neat system, one frame, multiple interchangeable barrel sets. Shotgun, rifle, combination gun on one frame. They were very high quality although more utilitarian finished if I remember right.

Are Tikka Shotguns still in production?

#10 ·
shotar said:
If you check this months American Rifleman, they have a vintage Valmet ad from 25 years ago. Neat system, one frame, multiple interchangeable barrel sets. Shotgun, rifle, combination gun on one frame. They were very high quality although more utilitarian finished if I remember right.

Are Tikka Shotguns still in production?
I guess it is a Vamet 412. Great gun, isn´t it?
I think so, Tikka shotguns are made in italy nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.