Shotgun Forum banner

Pain in Shoulder After Shooting?

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bustin Clay 
#1 ·
Lately I am experiencing some pain and aches (no, it's not all old age :D ) in my shoulder joint after shooting a 2-3 hundred targets that I used to never experience. The pain is an arthritic type ache that goes away after a few days of not shooting. I shoot w/ the gun mounted just to the inside of my shoulder joint due to the fact I have a large bulge of bone where my collar bone was broken, so I can not easily put it in the normal cup area you're supposed to mount in. After all the discussions concerning the rotator cuff issues, it made me question whether I am causing some permanent damage to my shoulder. I have been shooting many years now, and I guess I am wondering if the cumalative recoil is catching up w/ me. I just recently switched to a DT-10 after shooting a K-gun for the last 6-7 years. I know the DT is lighter, but I don't seem to feel any more recoil than the heavier K-gun. Anybody else experience this and if so what have you done to reduce the problem?
THanks,
Duk

#2 ·
The shoulder may be injured by three main reasons. Obviously, a tramautic event like falling could cause injury, another way is cumulative trauma (like shooting thousands of shells), and the third major cause of injury is arthritic changes such as degeration or the development of bone spurs. I would highly suggest investing in a good recoil reduction pad or device, have your stock fitted, or simply use a lighter or slower load.

#4 ·
Look at the Browning shooting vests that have a pouch for the "Reactor" pad. It is a gel pad that fits into the shooting vest shoulder for added recoil reduction. I picked up one of them at Bass Pro. Vest was $60 and the "Reactor" pad was $20. Good investment.

But I would also advise getting the shoulder checked out would be wise as well. Bone spurs and such are only going to get worse with old age! :lol:

#5 ·
I agree that I need to go and get the shoulder checked out. That is a first priority. I had already switched over to 1 oz. loads (1250-1280 fps) a 1-1/2 yr. ago. I have shot w/ a Wenig fitted stock for the last 6+ years. I've always used Kick-eez recoil pads, not that I know they're the best. I am a fairly big guy, weighing 270# +/-, so recoil has never been an issue w/ me. My son and I regularly go out (1-2 x wkly) plus and easily shoot 300 + targets each over a 2-3 hr. period w/no issues other than being a little tired and relaxed after a good time. I normally shoot 16-20,000 targets/yr. including NSCA targets. I guess I would hate to admit age has anything to do w/ it. I've only lately thought about the possibility of getting a recoil reducer like the Isis or Gracoil installed on one of my guns to try out. I don't wear a vest much unless I'm shooting FITASC, but I may have to change that habit and cut back on the number of shells I shoot per practice round. Has regular physical conditioning helped anyone w/this problem? I love this game (SC) and would hate the thought of ever having to give it up because of a bum shoulder.
Duk

#6 ·
All pretty good advice :) As you shoot a DT10 why not
contact Vern Brown and give a PFS a decent try?? Looks a bit like a prosthetic leg or something but it does work pretty well once you get used to it. Maybe a RAD system could be the go?
Break em All
Barry

#7 ·
Duk:
I think that you need to rule out arthritic, bone spur and RC issues. I would see a good Ortho. surgeon and go with a simple X-ray first and then maybe MRI.

I would look for a good physical therapist who also is a hunter or a shooter and see if some stretching and strengthening would make it easier on you. If the pain comes after that much shooting it may be mostly muscular or maybe tendonitis.

Try shooting only 150 and then icing the shoulder; that may help you. I guess that you could treat it likea RC injury and try PT and then Ice and see if it helps.

Dr. Duk
or

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.