CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sears Ranger Double Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all. Just thought I would share some info on my personal quest to find more information about an old double barrel shotgun. As so many other tales I've read in this forum have begun, I have this shotgun that belonged to my grandfather... Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many times that's been said in these forums?

Anyway, here's all of the info on this gun:

Side by side double barrel with double triggers.
Markings:
Receiver left side - RANGER 101.6
Receiver right side - 5000
Receiver bottom right behind hinge - small 22 in a circle
Left barrel water table - serial number C26663 followed by small capital E
Right barrel water table - small capital M

Top of left barrel in all caps - Proof Tested 12 Gauge
Top of right barrel in all caps - Selected Forged Steel
Left barrel flat - Serial Number
Barrel pivot - S with a P in the upper loop and a T in the lower loop, all enclosed in an oval
Forend lug on bottom of barrel - J with an upside down "&" symbol above it

Forend wood and metal stamped with serial number, as is the stock.

There isn't any blueing left on the gun, but it has a nice patina.

Barrels are 30" 12 gauge with 2 3/4" chambers and include both a main bead and a mid bead. The beads were long gone, but I milled some from brass and pressed them in, as the holes were not threaded. They look pretty good, if I do say so. I don't know the choking, but I have read here about the dime in the barrel test, and a dime will just go in the right barrel, but not in the left barrel. Does that mean the left barrel is full choke?

From my own research I learned that this was manufactured by Stevens for Sears. What was initially confusing to me was what model Stevens it was based on. I found a couple of good tips on the internet and finally decided that it was a 515. The best indicator I had of that was the length of the top tang. It seems the 311 type 1's had a 3 1/8", the 311 type 2's had a 3 1/4", the 315's a 2 5/8" and the 515's a 2 7/8". Mine was 2 7/8".

So off to Boyds' Gunstock I went and ordered a 515 virtual inlet walnut stock and 311 virtual inlet walnut forend. By the way, the original stock had cracked completely in half, and it appeared that the forends were similar between all models.

Well, after waiting anxiously they finally arrived. Did they fit? Yes, with some minor final inletting. My one question would be, what year was this shotgun manufactured? I have many good memories of this gun, and I look forward to using it for many more years. I hope some of this information will be helpful to someone else with an old Ranger double shotgun.

Best wishes,
Bryan

Post subject: Re: Sears Ranger Double Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:08 am 
Crown Grade

Glad to hear your quest worked out. I guess this all shows that the tang length on a Model 5000 (right side of reciever) and a 515 were the same.
The 5000 was manufactured 1931 - 1941 when the stamping changed to 5100

the 515 was manufactured 36 - 42 with 500 manufactured on record for those 6 years

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:31 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply, Marland. Does that mean my gun is actually a Stevens 5000 and I was just lucky on the new stock?

Bryan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:48 pm 
Crown Grade

That would be my guess, but I don't think luck had much to do with it, you researched it pretty well. I couldn't even find the 5000 listed on www.savageparts.com though it had a pretty good run.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I went back to www.savageparts.com and took another look at some diagrams, and I noticed that the drawing for the Stevens 515 says in parenthesis "Stamped 5000 on frame". Guess I didn't see that before. Is there any way to pin down the exact year of manufacture? Just curious.

Thanks for the help!

Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:32 am 
Crown Grade

Yeah you might be able to contact
John Callahan
53 Old Quarry Road
Westfield Ma. 01085

He charges $20 per gun and takes a few weeks to get around to it. BUT he's the only game in town for dating older Savages and Stevens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:04 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all your help, Marland. You really know your stuff.

Take care,

Bryan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Ranger double 12 model 104.3. I can not find anything on this model. I have been able to find quite a bit of info in the cross ref guides on Rangers, but not one of them list this model number. I dont think that my gun is a Stevens or a H&R. This gun has a very long 4 1/8" tang, and the screws locations in the side of the reciever is unlike the Stevens or H&R. Were there any sites in your quest for info on your gun that stood out as being very helpful, if so, maybe they could help me. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:45 pm 
Utility Grade

The closest I could find in a short search was a Ranger 104.7, which was a H&R 102, but the H&R was a bolt action, I believe. Found that at:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/crossref.asp

I'll do a little more searching over the next few days and see what comes up.

Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:05 am 
Presentation Grade

The Hunter Arms Co. made Ranger double guns for Sears (and others). I don't know that they used a model number. They can be identified by the two screws in the trigger plate, where as the Stevens frame is solid on the bottom. Have a good day. Bushrod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:22 pm 
Utility Grade

My guns trigger plate is held in place by four screws, with a fifth smaller screw inside the trigger guard. Looks to me that by removing the screws, about half of the bottom of the reciever would come off with the trigger guard. Thanks for the follow ups!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

KDM; Log on to wwwgunbroker.com and enter item # 15491261, and see if this looks like your Ranger. Have a good day. Bushrod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Thats my gun! Right down to the double beads on the rib. Was hunter arms run of the ranger small, compared to the Stevens and some of the other manufactures? Just does not seem to be any info on this model number. Thanks guys for all the help!! This site is just great!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don't know about the numbers. I do know that they're a step up in quality over the Stevens' Ranger. Have a good day. Bushrod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been following this thread, and it happens by chance that I also realized that I have a 5100, 101.6 series. Besides what you have covered, is there anything different or more rare about the 5000 vs. the 5100? Are there still replacement parts available? Etc. Are these guns rare? Just trying to find out what info you may have so i do not have to waste my time doing worthless research. Thanks.