Shotgun Forum banner

Mossberg 500 "breacher" question

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Zak 
#1 ·
Hello all,
this is my first post here.

I am the new proud owner of a mossy 500 breacher model.
I've noticed that the barrel isnt like the 500 barrel which i can swap around from my M500 or mav.88 12ga.
it's actully like the 835 style. The barrel doesnt come with that screw that goes into the center of the mag tube like the 500's. it's just a ring that goes around the mag tube and then a large nut screws over it. Does this mean that for example an 835 vent ribbed 28" barrel will fit my shotgun?

I want to change barrels/setups just like my 500. I have the pistol grip and 18.5 barrel, then a full stock and 28" for my 500. this would be awesome if I could do the same with new "breacher".

Thanks,
Alex

See less See more
#2 ·
captainchaos said:
...Does this mean that for example an 835 vent ribbed 28" barrel will fit my shotgun?...
The barrels on Mossberg shotguns aren't interchangable between models (835 barrels won't fit on 500 or 535 and vice versa) I don't know what options you have regarding extra barrels since that is a very tacticool gun.

It is one sweet looking chunk of metal you picked up, have you tried shooting it yet?? I have found that when shooting pistol grips, they don't hurt as much if you point them like they had a stock on, that way your arms will help absorb recoil some. Shooting from the hip is very abusive on the wrists, at least the few times I've tried it.

Smitty

#5 ·
doubletap said:
I can never understand why people would buy this. It is made for a team entry. What does it serve. At leat if you lock yourself out of the house you can breach yourself back in. I dont get it ??
actually it's a great tool. It works as a meat tenderizer, a great garden tool for planting tulips, and a handy tool for punching holes in walls. :wink:

this is just another 18.5 barrel. with an accessory mounted on the muzzle. It will function just as well as any other short barrel shotgun.
And the barrel IS interchangeable with the 835's.

#7 ·
for firing 3" or 3.5" round I use the stock. I've used the pistol grip to fire 3" Winchester Super Xtreme steel shot magnums on my 18.5" mossy 500 barrel, and it is PAIN. I gave it to a buddy of mine to try it out at the range and he nearly fell on his ***. he must have thought that I was using standard 2 3/4 buckshot shells. One thing that is fun, is watching a 2' long flame come out of the muzzle, and complete annhilation of your target. :twisted:

#9 ·
Hey, what's the difference in 3", 3.5" 2 3/4". What are these numbers about? Anyone?
As you are new to shotguns, I will explain this in the simplest terms possible.

The numbers you are referring to (3", 3.5", 2 3/4") stand for the length of shotgun shell, or load that you are firing through your gun. Mostly all shotguns produced today accept 2 3/4" shells. A lot, but not all shotguns can fire a 3" shell. Most of the guns that can fire a 3 1/2" shell are mainly used for hunting, and you probably wouldn't want to go shooting targets with them unless you have taken a whole bottle of asprin before hand.

2 3/4" shells are mainly used for clay targets, whether it be trap or skeet. You can also use 2 3/4" shells for small game, doves, or turkey (as long as the shot size is big and heavy).

3" shells can be used for targets, although they are mostly used for hunting. 3" shells are usually ideal for duck, turkey, and deer (if you are using buckshot or slugs).

3 1/2" shells are almost always used for hunting. The magnum series shells offer the biggest bang. These are Ideal for turkey, deer, and goose. They are handy when aiming/skybusting for high geese.

Hope this helps.
~Jimmy

#11 ·
The 12 ga. 500 Persuader is rated for a 3" chamber. That means that it can handle a 3" shell, and anything smaller, which would only be a 2 3/4" shell.

Now if we were talking about a Mossberg 535 or 835, these guns are rated for a 3 1/2" chamber. So the you could use 3 1/2" or anything smaller, which would be a 3" or 2 3/4".

The most important thing to remember is that you can always shoot a shell that is smaller than the chamber rating, but NEVER bigger!

Glad to help.
~Jimmy

#16 ·
jlessig said:
The most important thing to remember is that you can always shoot a shell that is smaller than the chamber rating, but NEVER bigger!
True, but not entirely true. I had an old box of 3 inch 20g. And an old 870 wingmaster that only accepts 2 3/4. Had to load them one at a time due to the fact that they wouldnt cycle. They fired fine. After shooting 25 I went back to cycling 2 3/4 no problem. While not a great idea, it can be done.

#17 ·
outlaw68k said:
......that only accepts 2 3/4. Had to load them one at a time due to the fact that they wouldnt cycle. They fired fine...
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !!!

If the guns is stamped 2-3/4" only and you use 3" shells you could be setting yourself up for a HUGE problem. The pressure difference between the 3" and 2-3/4" is just one of the things that could go wrong, you could crush the end of the shell creating a spike in pressure that could cause the barrel to rupture... I say you were lucky.

Smitty

#18 ·
yea, guess I was. My dad made it seam like it was no big deal. would never attemp such a thing in my cherished 500. Unless it was life or death and for some reason all I had was 3.5 inch turkey loads. By "can be done'', I meant in or life or death type of way, not because you can. Thanks for the barrel rupture info. I learn something new here every day.

#22 ·
Zak said:
Could i buy the forgrip with the strap for my pistol grip Mav?
i recommend that you either buy or make one if you have the pistol grip. i just fired the first 5 through my persuader and they were hot enough to almost knock it out of my hands on the first shot. just be sure that you grip it tight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.