CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 1/2 Magnum versus 3 magnum shotguns...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:39 pm 
Field Grade

I know this question has probably been brought up in here long before, but I am new to the site. I would like opinions from the pros on what they think of the advantages and or downfalls of the 3 1/2 shotgun shell. Yes i do own one and have yet to really find it standing out among 3 in. shotgunners.

comments appreciated

W. Henry
Kansas City

Post subject: Re: 3 1/2 Magnum versus 3 magnum shotguns...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:47 pm 
Ornithology Expert

You can shoot steel at a higher velocity or you can toss a truckload of lead at a turkey with the 3.5" shell. I don't use them even though my gun is chambered to handle them.

-bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

B4EVR,
From what I've shot, read and watched the new Tungsten based shot and incredible wad technology out there now nearly makes the 3.5" obsolete.

3.5"ers were made to help pack bigger steel shot, thus more down range energy, into a 12 gauge size shell. Problem is steel relies on one thing to deliver downrange energy; VELOCITY. This being the case the 3.5" shell still doesn't carry very much more shot than a standard 12 because of all the powder needed to launch that shot at high velocity. Not to mention the recoil associated with 1.5oz of #1 size steel at 1500 FPS.

Enter Tungsten. Hevi-Shot, Remington, Federal and Kent have all come to market with shot that is non-toxic and has similar if not better than lead performance. These tungsten shots can be launched at 1000-1300 fps in smaller shot sizes thus creating patterns equally or superior to the steel in pattern and with better downrange terminal energy. The problem with Tungsten based shot though; EXPENSE.

And here is where the debate begins and ends generally. Is the cost of Tungsten Worth It? I happen to think it is but that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

I think the guys that really get the benefits of both are the boys that shoot #3 Hevi-shot in 3.5" shells at 1300FPS for Snow Geese.

Hope that helped, I don't know feels like I started to ramble.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's really quite simple:
ask yourself this question:
Why a 3 1/2" 10 guage?
Why not a 3" 10 ga?

Because it has power.
power when it's needed and excellent versatility to reduce the power when not needed, something the 10ga with factory loads
cannot compete with.
all my waterfowl guns are 3.5", my upland guns are not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:35 am 
Utility Grade

I can not give exact velocitys or data on the difference of 3 in. verses 3.5 shells, all I can speak on is my results and friends over the years. I have definitly increased my range by changing to 3.5 shells in my 835, I hunt mainly with my son and a few friends, all but one has 3 in., they get irratated because I am able to take geese out beyond there range, except one, who shoots a Benelli Super BlackEagle 3.5, so I can definitly say the 3.5 does increase your range.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:58 am 

I do know the Rem Hevi-shot patterns so well that I know guys that can use full or mod choke with it and get patterns same as lead with a turkey choke. I have a 10ga 32" barrel H&R mod choke on order, Looking to test that theory myself when it comes in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:20 am 
Field Grade

I know my patterns on my Charles Daly maxi mag 3 1/2" has increased my range out to 40 yrds on turkey targets. Have yet to hunt with it as I just got it two weeks ago. But I think I will only be using the 3 1/2" shotshells for Turkey and goose. As it does add alot of recoil. If I'm duck hunting I'll stick with the 3" shells. If I don't need the extra load why beat my shoulder to death.

Dave H.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you get the magazine American Hunter, check out John M. Taylors December 2003 Article entitled; Magnum Shotshells Reconsidered.

This is a very enlightening article and provides some insight into how much 3.5" shotshells and guns really extend range.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:04 pm 
Field Grade

i use 3 inch for heavy payload shells in my 12ga. shotguns, yes some can take 3.5 inch. but they KICK REALLY HARD. i gave up and went with a 10ga. for extra payload. if i need the extra i use a 10ga. i did not care for the 3.5 12ga at all. i tried a few different loads when they first started coming out, and i have found that 3 inch mag will do anything a 3.5 will in a 12ga, i think they are all about these companys making extra money off us. if you need more the a 3 inch 12ga shell, lets face it, you need a 10ga :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:10 pm 
Field Grade

ROGMATT<------- let me know how that 10ga NEF with the mod choke works. a good friend of mine who loves the way my 10ga puts them waterfowl down, but cant afford a remington sp-10 like mine is looking at a 10ga waterfowl nef, but i dont know anyone who owns one. so please let me know how it works out with that hevishot :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:49 am 
Presentation Grade

I am not "A Pro" and having nothing to support my opinion other than time in a duck blind. I shoot 3.5 steel on calm days and 3.5 hevi's on windy days in a Benelli SBE. It's horribly expensive but deadly for waterfowl. I have tried others with less success. Am I right ? Who knows ! Am I flushing money down the toidy ? Could be !

I can only go with what works for me. I am sure that someone out there shoots a 28 gauge with 6 bb's at 300 fps, but I'm just not that talented. I like a minimum of 1450 fps.

Do your own patterning and your own testing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

VarmintController wrote:

[quote]if you need more the a 3 inch 12ga shell, lets face it, you need a 10ga[/quote]

I agree...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got a 10 ga,
they call it a mossberg 835 ,
You can shoot 12ga target shells through it too,
great gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:24 am 
Crown Grade

'Overboring' a 12 gauge does not turn it into a 10 gauge...Even if the end result is .775 inch diameter barrel...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... w=previous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I can see the 12ga 3.5, as having no value.
For ducks I use steel 3" #3's. The patterns at 40 yards are Excellent. For geese I use Kent TM. My wife shoots a 20ga loaded with Kent TM 3" 3#'s and at 30 -35 yards knocks the poop out of the geese. She hits them harder than guys shooting 12ga steel 3.5's.
This includes hunts here in TN, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, N. Dakota, and Alberta.
Different senerios, different weather. Results always the same.
Not a pro, and to each his own. I just see no use for the 3.5's.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:10 pm 
Utility Grade

All I can say, is in my use of 3 in. and 3.5's is I used 3 in. for about 30 years and then went to 3.5's in a 835. and I can definitly say beyond a doubt the 3.5's out shoot the 3 in. I had shot for so long, if they had not I would not be spending the money on them the last several years, I am not a "Pro" but in 40 years of hunting I have learned what works. (at least for me), and as far as range, I am able to shoot a pretty good distance farther than I was able to with 3 in. with a very good kill ratio.