CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "High Brass"; "Low Brass"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

What do these terms mean in relation to shells?

Post subject: re: "High Brass"; "Low Brass"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:41 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Just means one has a high metal base, the other a low metal base.

Really has nothing to do with power of the shell, though at one time it did and the thought stuck as well----mostly with hunters.

Probably some of the meanest shells I have ever shot, for 1 1/8 oz they were the meanest, were made by Activ and had no metal base at all, all plastic, just a thin flat steel shim at the primer base.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

not much these days many years ago it used to mean how powerfull the shell was high brass (just means the brass head of the shell was longer) used to be the more powerfull
with modern powders and wadding the brass height makes no difference other than cause ejection problems on some styles of gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Amazing the premium they manage to charge for the high brass without demonstrating any performance difference.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Now the "brass" turned to steel.I did hear a rumor around the campfire that Activ is coming back with a full line from slugs to trap loads.My only experience with them was slugs.Great product.

Jimmy D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:21 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Back in the day of paper hulls they needed the high brass for magnam loads because they had more powder and would burn little holes in the paper...so they started making high brass to protect the paper. Now a days it's not needed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:21 am 
Tournament Grade

If this is the case, then why do they make them and why am I buying them to go hunting? I mean, there is more kick to a high brass shotshell for hunting? Confused...I am :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I wouldnt worry if the shells you use are high brass or not. I would worry about what type of load is right for your hunt. Lots of times heavy loads have high brass...they just come that way...but if the metal base was lower those shells would work just the same.

The kick will be a product of the load size and powder...heavier the load the bigger the kick. Although you could have two loads with the same load size but one could be "hotter" with more powder for higher speed and kick harder.

What kind of hunting do you do?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Interesting, but if it is "hotter" wasn't that the reason for the hight brass?
I starting hunting this year, we went for pheasant, hopefully gonna be going for wild turkey soon! Used number 6 or 5 bird shot for the pheasant, not sure what to use for the turkey though.
Koz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Now that they have plastic shells it does not matter. Thats the thing they used to be made of paper and would get pinhole burns in them...the plastic isnt bothered by it. I think since the hunters used to have high brass for bigger loads they expect it and want that in a shotshell...but it doesnt matter.

So yeah normally with the type of hunting you do one would buy a 1 1/4 oz load up to maybe 1 1/2 oz load. Pellet size might range from 4 to 6 depending on conditions.

Turkey loads are normally in a 3" or 3.5" shell and could be up to and over 2oz. Shot size could be about the same as one could use for pheasants. Again depending on conditions. You'd you larger shot for longer shots because it had more range....or if there is a lot of brush that you have to shoot thought perhaps. Although I'm not really a turkey hunter so I don't have much advice to offer on turkey loads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:29 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Much of the terminolgy of shotgunnig is steeped in tradition. It is not easy for the newbie to keep it all straight.

I recommend that those new to the sport find a copy of Bob Brister's Shotgunning the Art and Science to explain things.

High and low brass is meaningless in modern shotshells just like dram equivalents is becoming.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 pm 
Limited Edition

It's a great testament to the power of marketing. Seems like where I buy I've seen the high brass in the same shell for about a 1/3 premium per box.

Post subject: Re: re: "High Brass"; "Low Brass"
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:32 pm 
Limited Edition

kevinkoz wrote:
Interesting, but if it is "hotter" wasn't that the reason for the hight brass?
I starting hunting this year, we went for pheasant, hopefully gonna be going for wild turkey soon! Used number 6 or 5 bird shot for the pheasant, not sure what to use for the turkey though.
Koz

he meant the power of the shell, not the temperature...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:43 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I disagree that it means nothing. Because of the tradition and marketing, ammo makers still produce loads that are for the hunters with high brass. You do often get what you pay for, in the way of a better patterning shell with the premium ammo. By the way I think only premium target ammo has brass bases. All the others are steel coated with brass.

I agree that the manufacturers and from a reloaders stand point one can put the same load in either High Base or Low Base shell as long as the internal design is the same. With the modern plastic hulls the brass is just cosmetic.

Talk to the outfitter or if hunting with experience friends as to what kind of shells to bring. If your shots will be close, you do not need premium ammo.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:04 am 
Presentation Grade

When a manufacturer decides on introducing a premium shell at a premium price, the first thing they do is make sure they have plenty of brass / steel showing. I am certain components are a secondary consideration. Power of marketing.

ps. I am not saying they can get away with poor shells in a high brass.