CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Tra Grain?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

The owners manual defines the x-tra grain as "A special superficial treatment applied to the walnut using an exclusive technology that enhances the color contrast resulting in a beautiful and rich pattern". I removed the recoil pad to change the drop shims and on the end of the stock it looks like some sort of poly treated surface?
I wonder how durable this process will be for the field guns? A statement of caution in the manual states that "to maintain the finish over time, it is suggested that you use only a soft and clean cloth when cleaning or polishing the surfaces.
My gun shop only had one in stock and the forend looks good while the stock looks a bit overdone in my opinion. The stock has alternating 3/8" very light and very dark horizontal stripes from the receiver to the recoil pad. I have never seen actual walnut with anything resembling this. What are you guys seeing for patterns or wood grain?

Post subject: re: X-Tra Grain?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Every one I have seen has the horizontal striping. Apparently, they take raw plain walnut and using stain of some sort apply the streaks. Then they cover with the same polyurethane finish that they have been using for years. I am not wild about it but then again even with real figure I do not care for horizontal stripes. For review of the Urika 2 and discussion of this process, see Bruce Buck's review of the gun in the current issue of ClayshootingUSA now availble at the book stores such as Borders and Barnes and Noble

Post subject: Re: re: X-Tra Grain?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

claydoctor wrote:
I am not wild about it but then again even with real figure I do not care for horizontal stripes.

I'm with you, Doc. I haven't seen one in the flesh, but the pictures I've seen show a stong, pronounced "grain" with a lot of contrast, but it is generally a straight "grain". Even if it were real, I wouldn't be impressed.

And it isn't real. That fact generates the same feeling in me that Xtra-Wood does. It is like silicone implants - looks good from a distance, but when I have a chance to get up close and personal, I'd rather have the real thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm guessing that Beretta is trying to find a way to reduce cost and improve consistency. Their regular wood seems to be all over the map; some of it is beautiful and some is pretty plain. And, you never know which you'll find 'til you open the box. The other issue is how well two pieces of wood on the same gun match. Again, some are good while others are pretty poor. And this certainly isn't a problem with just Berettas'. This mismatching of wood is all too common across most manufacturers' lines. With the volume of guns Beretta produces, I'm sure they see some "magic process" for turning poor wood into good wood as a potential windfall. Good luck on that! The first attempt -- the hideous "Extra-wood" looked like Formica. The latest attempt doesn't strike me as much better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's disgusting to me. Soem of the old muzzleloading rifles of the 1800's were scorched to produce some of the same desgins but accross the grain like curl. They make me want to puke also. :cry:
A move in the wrong direction after the x-tra wood junk.

Post subject: Re: re: X-Tra Grain?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
claydoctor wrote:
I am not wild about it but then again even with real figure I do not care for horizontal stripes.

I'm with you, Doc. I haven't seen one in the flesh, but the pictures I've seen show a stong, pronounced "grain" with a lot of contrast, but it is generally a straight "grain". Even if it were real, I wouldn't be impressed.

I saw two at Greentop. Nothing to write home about. There is a photo of one in the semi classifieds on this site for anyone who wants to see an example of it. What gripes me is the deceptive advertisng . They talk about a process that "enhances" the grain. They are not enhancing any grain. They are faking grain. You and I both know, Jim, the best deal out there is a good clean Mobilchoke 391. It's our little secret.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

You guys are hurting my feelings. Just bought my wife one cause she thought it was PURDY. It looks like, well, you know how you dip the eggs at Easter? Regardless, it is still a Beretta.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:24 pm 
Field Grade

Doc- you are right about not enhancing the grain. Simply put, there is no grain. Mine looks like they applied dark stain to the wood and ran their fingers through it while wet. The horizontal finger marks have little to no grain in them.
Even with the recoil buffer, magazine cut-off and carrier issues I had with the Urika 1, I am questioning my decision to hold out for the Urika 2........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:36 am 
Field Grade

I like mine..... but.....I like Toyota pickups too.