Shotgun Forum banner

Where to buy Clay Targets

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  toivo 
#1 ·
whats some good sites to find clay targets I can buy? How much does a box run on average?

#2 ·
If you're talking about targets to shoot in your backyard, we buy ours (White Flyers) at KMart. I'm guessing big sporting goods places would have them as well. Pretty cheap for a case of them - under $20 if I remember correctly. If you're talking about targets for a club, call or email White Flyer and talk to them.

http://whiteflyer.com/contact.html

Hope this helps some.

#3 ·
682Gal said:
If you're talking about targets to shoot in your backyard, we buy ours (White Flyers) at KMart. I'm guessing big sporting goods places would have them as well. Pretty cheap for a case of them - under $20 if I remember correctly. If you're talking about targets for a club, call or email White Flyer and talk to them.

http://whiteflyer.com/contact.html

Hope this helps some.
wow, I didn't realize they were that high retail. I would ask your local club about buying a few cases from the club, I can't imagine they would mark them up almost 300% like the retail sores.

#4 ·
sorry I wasnt clear, yeah I meant the ones for personal use so I can take my own thrower out in the field and have some fun.. how many are in a case? 50? 100? I checked wally world today and they didnt sell the clays, only throwers and gear.. Ill try Kmart or something..

oh another question: whats a good thrower for my own use? Im not looking to spend more than $100.. the best one ive seen is one that attaches to your trailer hitch, or stands alone and it can fire doubles etc.. and it has a seat on it.. walmart for $99.. how well do the hand throwers work? how about the tire-mounted one?

#5 ·
682Gal said:
If you're talking about targets to shoot in your backyard, we buy ours (White Flyers) at KMart. I'm guessing big sporting goods places would have them as well. Pretty cheap for a case of them - under $20 if I remember correctly.
That sounds high to me. I see them at Gander and Dick's all the time for under $10. Or maybe these are Brand-X ones?

#8 ·
Sonny B said:
Dick's 6 bucks for 90. Does anyone know how much they actually cost the ranges?
I'm the treasurer of our club so I see the pricing. We just paid $7.60 per case for 8 skids of 63 cases per skid. That was for White Flyers. Each case holds 135 targets (more than the retail case). In the last five years, target prices have about doubled.

PS: the price included delivery.

#11 ·
USAF_Rob said:
oh another question: whats a good thrower for my own use? Im not looking to spend more than $100.. the best one ive seen is one that attaches to your trailer hitch, or stands alone and it can fire doubles etc.. and it has a seat on it.. walmart for $99.. how well do the hand throwers work? how about the tire-mounted one?
any ideas on this guys?

#14 ·
I'll find out what ours is. It's down in one of our pastures and it's dark out right now! Ours mounts to a tire and also throws doubles. The other half won't let me do it by myself -- aside from the fact that it's difficult to load, pull and shoot all by myself, if the arm isn't set right, you could really get hurt if it snaps back. It works great!

Thanks Toivo... :)

#15 ·
Traps - I don't have a recommendation for a specific thrower but I will suggest instead of thinking dollars first think what do you want it to do. What kind of targets will it throw - rabbits, minis, battues... and what kind of presentations it will throw - rabbits, teals, pairs, and so on. It's more fun and offers more opportunities to learn seeing a variety of targets and presentations.

#16 ·
thanks guys.. I think Im going to buy the tire mounted one.. now just to find an old tire with a rim lol.. can the tire be de-flated? or should I use something like a Donut tire?

the tire mounted can shoot different kinds of clays singles and doubles.., so Im not worried about it..

the thing with somebody pulling, usually you stand so many yards BEHIND the trap house, in this case you dont want to be shooting over somebody so to make it more 'realistic' i guess one would give it a couple seconds before firing? perhaps hold the gun upright, call pull, THEN mount the gun and aim/fire.. that way the delay will compensate for the yardage?... perhaps I am just tired and over analyzing this hahah.. thanks all!

edit: how about something like This its post mounted, cocks back 3/4 recocking, and allows for easy direction turning.. and to make a post mount for a tire or something would be a piece of cake..

#17 ·
USAF_Rob said:
thanks guys.. I think Im going to buy the tire mounted one.. now just to find an old tire with a rim lol.. can the tire be de-flated? or should I use something like a Donut tire?

the tire mounted can shoot different kinds of clays singles and doubles.., so Im not worried about it..

the thing with somebody pulling, usually you stand so many yards BEHIND the trap house, in this case you dont want to be shooting over somebody so to make it more 'realistic' i guess one would give it a couple seconds before firing? perhaps hold the gun upright, call pull, THEN mount the gun and aim/fire.. that way the delay will compensate for the yardage?... perhaps I am just tired and over analyzing this hahah.. thanks all!
Rob,
There are some nice inexpensive throwers out there. Just don't expect them to throw targets with the same consistency as the machines at your local club that costs thousands of dollars. :eek: Pick out the one you like, mount it on an old tire/ rim (you should be able to get one for next to nothing at a junk yard) and go out & have fun with it. Above all, BE SAFE!!! :)

#18 ·
Papgun12 said:
Rob,
There are some nice inexpensive throwers out there. Just don't expect them to throw targets with the same consistency as the machines at your local club that costs thousands of dollars. :eek: Pick out the one you like, mount it on an old tire/ rim (you should be able to get one for next to nothing at a junk yard) and go out & have fun with it. Above all, BE SAFE!!! :)
yeah i understand.. i mean if it launches it up far and high enough to shoot at, im happy =)

#20 ·
toivo said:
The Trius One Step gets pretty good reviews, and it has the advantage that you can use it by yourself. I just bought one, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'll let you know how it works.
thats cool but I think i would either be distracted from moving my leg while firing, or getting used to it, so it would throw me off at a normal shoot..

#21 ·
USAF_Rob said:
toivo said:
The Trius One Step gets pretty good reviews, and it has the advantage that you can use it by yourself. I just bought one, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'll let you know how it works.
thats cool but I think i would either be distracted from moving my leg while firing, or getting used to it, so it would throw me off at a normal shoot..
I'm not sure, because I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm guessing you'd have time between stomping on the pedal and actually taking your shot. You don't want to shoot the clay when it's right in front of your face anyway. Not to mention the fact that this is an easier thrower for your shooting partner to use.

I think there was a thread on here about the Trius--I'll link it if I can find it later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.