Shotgun Forum banner

3901 Statesman 20 gauge opinions

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike in Reedley 
#1 ·
I just wanted to get some opinions on owners of this gun or anyone familiar with it. I was walking through a store last night and they had one on clearance for $499.00. Seems like a good gun for the money, but wanted to hear from you guys.

I have it on hold until Aug. 1st.

#2 ·
From going through some old threads and some other sites, it sounds like most people like the gun. I think I'll go ahead and pick it up. . .should make a nice gun for the wife and boys when they get older.

And I'll make sure it fires and works properly. :wink:

Now, can anyone recommend a good turkey choke for a 20 gauge?

#3 ·
omega

Beretta 3901 is very close in lineage to the 390 model.

A good, solid and dependable auto-shucker!

Can't go wrong for less than $500...and it will be shooting long after your kids have kids.

For a turkey choke, give Briley a call and discuss what you need with them...if you ship them the barrel only, they will measure the ID of the bore and custom choke it to whatever constriction you desire.

I have always used their chokes and am very satisfied with their products and their customer service.

Joe

#4 ·
Thanks for the nudge. . .I picked it up tonight for the wife for $482 out the door. They had $25 off guns in that range and then save another $20 for signing up for the Dick's card. . .and then we earned double points, so they are sending us $40 in gift cards. :lol:

And yes, I'll be a good husband and make sure it goes bang like it should. :wink:

#6 ·
Does not sound like you need any more encouragement. I have had a 3901 Citizen as my duck, phesant, Skeet and sporting clays gun the year they came out (97?). My son has it now since he out grew his youth model 1100 last year. I have never had a feed or ejection problem. I have gone up to O/U guns now but still shoot the 3901 if my son or daughter want to shoot daddys gun. Enjoy, Eric

#8 ·
It did. There's a shim at the stock/frame junction and another inside the stock on the stock bolt. If you are right handed and want a lot of drop in the stock (field-Skeet), place the front shim with the thick portion at the top and the other thick portion on the left side. Place the shim inside the stock with the bolt hole in the top left corner when looking toward the barrel from the buttstock. If you shoot lefty (like me) place the thick part on the right and the hole in the upper right corner of the internal shim.

Have fun, these are great guns. I ran the first round of Skeet with my 20 gauge and use it often in International.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.