Shotgun Forum banner

best over-under for less then $2000

43K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  French Double 
#1 ·
Hi Guys. I have always wanted to buy an over-under and after many years of beging I finally got the okay from my wife. I have not had a chance to do alot of research so was hoping for your opinion. I would be using this gun mainly for dove/quail hunting and possibly a bit of skeet (just for fun) 12 GA prefered.

It is possible that I could go up to a $2000 gun if it is a better "bang for the buck", but was really looking for something in the $1700 price range.

Appreciate your help!

#2 ·
In the low thousands, you could buy a nice Ruger Red Label.

In the mid teens, you could buy either a Browning Citori or a Beretta 686.

All three are wonderful guns. I would recommend 28" barrels as the most versatile length for you.

But, my wife bought me a brand new Caesar Guerini Tempio for just about $2000 for my birthday last April.

I own dozens of shotguns. I own well over a dozen over an under shotguns. But no modern shotgun, that's available at a production price, can even be compared to a Caesar Guerini. They are more expensive, but not wildly expensive. To properly compare a Guerini to another shotgun, I think you have to compare them to Perazzi's, Blasers, Krieghoff's, etc., and not Brownings, Rugers, and production Berettas. Guerinis are really that much better made, with better wood, better finish, better balance, better everything than any other production double. I can't recommend one enough. If you buy one, you won't die broke and you won't wake up in ten years wishing you'd saved a few hundred bucks and bought a B gun. I promise. :wink:

They sell Guerinis at Cabelas now. Or check them out online here.

#5 ·
All the brands mentioned are good but you need to find the gun that fits and feels right for you. I'm a Browning Citori guy. I do love their looks, feel and balance, but the bottom line is they fit and feel good to me, and it shows in my shooting.
A $20,000 gun is no good if it doesn't work for you.
Spend the time to research and know what you want before you buy it.

#6 ·
I'd be looking at Browning's Cynergy line. They out of the box are the lightest recoiling o/u's I've ever shot. The crisp mechanical triggers are very nice. It handles like lightning. It is the fastest I've ever used. I believe the design maybe one of the strongest actions made in this type of firearm and due to the design it is extremely low profile. It should be an excellent choice for any upland hunter. To me it is the best that Browning has to offer besides a custom superposed maybe, but even with the shear elegance of the custom gun it couldn't possibly out perform a Cynergy in my book.

#11 ·
I'd also go with a Caesar Guerini. At the slight price difference, it's not hard to over look the B guns for this nice of a gun with an excellent company backing it up. Just do a search here, you'll find out. Had a Beretta with a problem about ten years ago. You'd think they thought I was lieing about it or something. I got a used CG that had a tiny crack behind the trigger guard. They said send it back, we'll fix it free. Beretta, it was hard to communicate with them. CG, I called their number and it went straight to Wes Lang's office. Now that's a company for you.

#12 ·
The CG is a great buy at $2000 but you aren't gonna find many for less than 23 or 2400, I agree with chaco. I would look for a beretta 686 or browning citori from $1500-1800. I personally use a 686 white onyx sporting w/ optima barrels ($1650) which I love. Granted Its not for everyone. All manf. have a bad gun in every model so dont get swayed from one gun by somebodys opinion. Fit, Fit, Fit. and great hunting

#13 ·
sb711 said:
The CG is a great buy at $2000 but you aren't gonna find many for less than 23 or 2400, I agree with chaco. I would look for a beretta 686 or browning citori from $1500-1800. I personally use a 686 white onyx sporting w/ optima barrels ($1650) which I love. Granted Its not for everyone. All manf. have a bad gun in every model so dont get swayed from one gun by somebodys opinion. Fit, Fit, Fit. and great hunting
where did you buy a WOS for 1650?

#14 ·
01lariat said:
I'd be looking at Browning's Cynergy line. They out of the box are the lightest recoiling o/u's I've ever shot. The crisp mechanical triggers are very nice. It handles like lightning. It is the fastest I've ever used. I believe the design maybe one of the strongest actions made in this type of firearm and due to the design it is extremely low profile. It should be an excellent choice for any upland hunter. To me it is the best that Browning has to offer besides a custom superposed maybe, but even with the shear elegance of the custom gun it couldn't possibly out perform a Cynergy in my book.
I agree. I have two Cynergy's and they are top's in my book.

#15 ·
Tell you a story about CG. A very good story. Friend of mine went for one with 2 barrels also. It was one of those made on Monday morning guns. The firing pins were continually breaking. Went back 3 times on the fourth the guy expressed real diappointment. The sales manager said we are going to eat this one we will take care of you. CG stood behind it and Took it back and replaced it with a Magnus upgrade!! It is a really nice rig and shoots beautifully. He has had some fitting done on it and boy he can't say enough about the company. I have been looking and a buy for under $2,000 is probably a real long shot. If you see one jump on it before about 20 other guys trample you.

#18 ·
I have a Winchester 101 (see opinions page 1) and wonder how it compares to some of the guns I have seen described in this posting. I found out it is a pigeon grade. On another note I was in K-mart in warner Robbins, Ga about 20 tears ago and they had a Berratta 686 for $300 and change, I knew it was priced wrong but I didn't grap it up. I went back some months later and it had a price tag of $700, another good move on my part. :?:

#19 ·
B.Rizzini Omnium.

Problem in U.S. is RizziniUSA "reduced" offering for the Omnium to the black plain model.

If only you could get a hand on a european Omnium, like I did, you can have ANYTHING made to your liking for around $1600. Stock (pistol grip or english), forend (schnabel or beavertail), barrels (24,5 in. to 34 in.) AND ACTION (ergal55 with Titanium backing plate: 5 3/4 lbs 12 ga.!! or steel at around 7 lbs).
Nice picture at: www.simac.fr

Will get mine in a week or so (english stock, cast on 3/8", double trigger for left index,25,5 in. barrel, light action and rifled lower barrel, skeet upper barrel, and oh! walnut butt plate)...I put the action in the photos section...

LouisN

#20 ·
Beretta 686, Browning Citori, Browning Superposed, CG, F.A.I.R., B. Rizzini, Sig, Winchester 101, Miroku/Charles Daly are on my list. Do you want new or old? Fix or screw chokes? Weight? Are alloy frames OK or do you prefer steel?

At your price range I'm seeing mostly Beretta's and Citori's.

#22 ·
Stroker said:
My personal favorite is the Browning Citori "White Lightning". It look great has the popular round knob grip and the original lines of the Superposed. To me it puts everything else 10 feet behind the starting line.
I'm looking real hard at the White Lightning 12ga in 28 inch barrels. Seems I can get it for around $1425 plus tax locally.

#23 ·
Look for a used Beretta Silver Pigeon II. Love mine! Picked up the SP II sporting model 12 gauge in excellent shape for $1,575, a few years ago. They are still around and can be found on the net or at your local gun shop's. 2nd choice would be a new 525 Browning in 16 or 20 gauge (I have shot the 12 ). Nice guns. Beretta and Brownings are popular, easy to find parts and last a lot longer that I'll live. What about the Benelli Cordoba in 20 gauge $1,600 no maintenance and shoots great!
ace

#24 ·
I own or have owned Browning Citoris, Sig/B.Riz TR20 series, Beretta 686/687s, F.A.I.Rs, an RRL in 28 and a Caesar Guerini. All good guns, IMO. But right now, I'd go the three or four hundred more and get a new CG Woodlander if it fits you and if you're looking for field model. Lovely guns for the money, silky smooth craftsmanship and Wes Lang and CG USA stand solidly behind them. JMO, YMMV.

#25 ·
txgolfer45 said:
Stroker said:
My personal favorite is the Browning Citori "White Lightning". It look great has the popular round knob grip and the original lines of the Superposed. To me it puts everything else 10 feet behind the starting line.
I'm looking real hard at the White Lightning 12ga in 28 inch barrels. Seems I can get it for around $1425 plus tax locally.
I bought one at that $ from Bass Pro when they had the fall sale...maybe still avail or someone else is matching it ...

I love it. Great fit and feel for me and looks terriffic too! When I do my part the targets break nicely :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.