CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: re: Benelli M2 - My review (I decided to go for it)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 pm 
Utility Grade

dhs,
Keep me posted on your issue. I created a post a few months back with a similar issue with my M2. I've had my M2 for 2 summers now and I have put about 1000 rounds through it. A few months ago mine started doing the same thing as yours. The only thing I haven't cleaned or taken apart is the recoil spring located in the stock, which was recommended. I had trouble getting the last screw off inside the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

We shot sporting clays today and for the first few rounds the gun malfunctioned as before. I was shooting 3 1/4, 1 1/8 loads and had "wet" lubed the action. The first round would fire and the spent shell would extract and eject and the fresh round would feed from the magazine onto the carrier and as it was moving up toward the chamber it would stop with the breach open. By hitting the tang on the bolt with the butt of my hand the breach would close, feeding the shell. This continued off and on for the next several rounds, but by about the third station it began working fine. After finishing for the day, a close inspection showed a shiny spot on the side of the carrier where it had been touching a point on the inside of the receiver causing just enough friction for the action to malfunction. The heavier loads, the wet lube, and just persistence instead of putting it away and swapping guns the first time it malfunctioned facilitated the break-in, which appears to be the root cause of the problem. Thanks Jugchoke for the wet lube suggestion. As it turns out the owners manual suggests this also but I guess I missed it the first time through. I'm hoping it will just keep getting better but I'll know more tomorrow on opening day of dove season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hopefully from here on out you will enjoy that M2. Mine works flawlessly. It only has several hundred rounds through it but is a joy to shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Can someone please clarify "wet lube"? I looked through my M2 manual and saw references to lubricating the action and other parts, but no direct reference to "web lube".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:44 pm 
Utility Grade

i do not know if this is true or not but i heard that the m2 does not cycle light loads very well. is this true? i want to hear what your experiences are with light loads. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I am thinking of getting the M2. Use mostly for Pheasants, maybe some Geese. I'm a wood stock kind of guy. I'm looking at the 28" barrel. I believe the wood stock does not have the comfortech recoil deal. I am looking for advice on this set up for pheasants.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I just went for it too. I ordered the 'Steady Grip' M2. I plan mostly predators & turkey with it. I may look into a straight stock or try the SG for birds. If I was doing birds & waterfowl I would opt for the 26" barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:40 am 
Utility Grade

After much rooting through various forums. A friend suggested the Montefletro, he likes his. More looking on the net and I felt that was a better choice for me. I got one, the 26". The info on these forums was of a great help. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Which barrel would you folks recommend, 26 or 28?

I'd be mostly using the M2 for clays, trap, and upland.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:39 pm 
Field Grade

All this, and no pictures??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I've hunted with my M2 for three seasons now, and it's become my go-to gun for upland and waterfowl. My primary reason for getting a Benelli was the slimmer forends (my SX2 and was like holding onto the thick end of a baseball bat) but then started to find other reasons to like Benelli's, especially the M2. Mine has a 26" bbl with the Comfortech stock.

I think it may be the chromed barrel, but it cleans up very easily compared to my other SG's. The inertia operating system probably helps keep the internals clean as well. One downside to the inertia system was I had a couple of "miss-fires" when the bolt got retracted about 1/4 to 1/2" after taking a fall and the butt hit the ground. Not a big deal, other than I "discovered" the problem when I tried to take a shot at a chukar... that was mildly disconcerting to say the least, but have since learned to check the bolt periodically.

The Modified choke that came with the gun didn't pattern really well, so switched to a Tru-lock Modified. That one seems to be the ticket provided I did my job. The only other modification I did was add a Hi-Viz front sight.

If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go with a 24" bbl since most of my hunting is upland. Maybe one day I'll buy a 24" for upland, and keep the 26" for ducks.

Other than that, I'm a fan of the M2! Would I buy another one? I suppose I would, but the M2 does everything I need it to! Then again, there is room in the gun cabinet for a Monte or M2 in 20 ga, but I secretly covet my wife's 20 ga Citori...

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:40 am 
Utility Grade

What a superb gun!

I've got an M2 Field in left-hand, with 9+1 capacity. It's for rabbit and pigeon control here in the UK, and the large magazine capacity will be a real help. Reassembling the mag extension (and the ridiculously long spring) is a bit of a hassle each time the barrel needs cleaning.

I ran two boxes of very heavy loads (up to 50g AAA) through the Benelli, and since then I have been feeding it 30g #6s, which it cycles faultlessly. Even with a full load of 10 rounds, it's a surprisingly light gun, and very pointable. The recoil is very managable, even with heavy loads, and Benelli's recoil-reducing features seem to work well. The gun is also very tough.

My only two (minor) complaints about the M2 are:

a) The short length of pull, a dismal 14.5" with the thickest pad.
b) The sling attachment point on the mag extension (it rattles and rubs the barrel finish). I removed this fitting, as it is plain annoying.

Here's a photo:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm19 ... G_0127.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:26 am 
Utility Grade

Hi yall. I'm in the market for a semi auto. Pretty confident I'll go with the m2. Any suggestions on an effective way of breaking it in? I've read numerous times that is this an important stage to ensure that the gun cycles thought all loads. And while on the topic can someone explain the term dram to me? I don't know much about loads and I hope my reading posts on the site I will come more familiar. Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hff11, what set up are you expecting to get your M2 in? Barrel length, stock, etc.

My first Benelli was the M2 in the so called Comfortech stock and a 21 inch barrel. Having nothing to compare it to, other than previous brand guns, I thought it kicked pretty bad. Not that I couldn't tolerate it, but some other folks after shooting two or three shots, refused to ever "shoot the kicking SOB again!"

But liking the simple, easily cleaned action, I then acquired a used Benelli Ultra Light, or BUL with the 24 inch barrel. Wow, a full pound lighter gun, wood stocked, (although it has the silly plastic fake wood grain film coating), and it's felt recoil was much less than the M2! The wife promptly claimed it as her gun! (A Benelli 20 gage Montefeltro had previously kicked too viciously for her!)

I then had to shorten the BUL stock, fit it to her, and buy myself another one! No change, still much less felt recoil.

I later happened into a trade for an M1, standard synthetic stocked gun, 26 inch barrel. Kicked just like the M2, no significant difference. I do prefer the M2, as the CT stock does stop the vibration that the standard synthetic stock gives, plus I like the grip and comb insert on the CT better. But they both had that nasty felt recoil.

After months of trying to figure out just why such would be, since it seems to violate the laws of physics, (and all stock settings were within 1/16 inch), I gave up and ordered Limbsaver recoil pads for both the M1 and M2. Made all the difference, still not quite down to the BUL felt recoil level, but much, much better. So I am no fan of the Benelli BS on the comfortech stock, nor their "specially engineered" contour recoil pad!

BTW, I forgot, that M2 came with the 21 inch barrel as I said and I also picked up an after market 28 inch barrel. Made the gun just too long for anything but trap shooting, and Benelli just does not make a dedicated trap shooting gun. Not that they can't be used for trap shooting for fun. But a serious trap shooter, they are not. (Before anyone asks, I no longer have that 28 inch barrel!)

The BULs are now our primary guns, hunting and fun skeet or SC, (3/4 or 7/8 oz loads for targets), while the M guns are regulated to back ups. And they all cycle those 3/4 oz loads!

Break in? Heavier loads, well lubed for a while, say one to two hundred rounds.

Dram equivalent? An outdated term dating back to black powder, where it was measured in drams. Basically a term, vaguely relating to the power of the load today, best ignored, other than the higher the dram equivalent, the harder it is going to kick! Either because of more shot, or more speed, or even a combination of both.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:36 am 
Utility Grade

jugchoke, you sure are thorough. Stock I wanted to go with a realtree camo pattern with the comfortech system. As far as barrel goes, I guess I have more questions. The longer the barrel the further the projectiles go (I assume)? I'm looking for a gun I can take into the field and hunt turkey and occasionally some waterfowl. But I also want it to use it for fun and shoot some clay pigeons. So my intuition says I don't want a short short barrel but nothing extremely long...would a 26" be a compromise? Maybe a sucker for advertising but the ID system benelli's use and the cryo barrels just makes sense

Post subject: Re: re: Benelli M2 - My review (I decided to go for it)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

huntinff11 wrote:
jugchoke, you sure are thorough. Stock I wanted to go with a realtree camo pattern with the comfortech system. As far as barrel goes, I guess I have more questions. The longer the barrel the further the projectiles go (I assume)? I'm looking for a gun I can take into the field and hunt turkey and occasionally some waterfowl. But I also want it to use it for fun and shoot some clay pigeons. So my intuition says I don't want a short short barrel but nothing extremely long...would a 26" be a compromise? Maybe a sucker for advertising but the ID system benelli's use and the cryo barrels just makes sense

Yeah, a two inch longer barrel might shoot two inches farther than a shorter one! :shock: :lol: :oops:

Sorry, no that makes no difference!

A 26 inch barrel on a Benelli is virtually the same length over all, because of Benellis longer receivers, (that rotary bolt head), compared to most other auto loaders. Unless it was going to be used primarily for trap or sporting clays, I would not go longer than 26 inch, personally.

I do prefer the CT stock over the old standard synthetic one, but if I had it to do over, it would be walnut. I don't find any real advantage to camo, except if the gun be shiny stainless steel.

The Crio thing isn't bad, likely relieves some stress, but is more advertising on shotguns, than actually helpful as on rifles. I believe that you are likely to find more cryo treated choke tubes, out of round, than normal ones, due to that stress relief.

Steel, different steels, stress relive over time anyway, but at different rates. So is purposely doing so good? Yes and no, it depends. For accuracy, it is best to almost finish a piece of steel, stress relive, then actually finish machining it.

Lots of turkey hunters like short barrels, just for the ease of handling. Exceedingly long can also be a problem in a WF blind.

NRA Benefactor

Last edited by jugchoke on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your help. One more question if you don't mind..when I see the shim kits and what not included in the purchase, it says for adjusting height and stuff, but where do they go?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

huntinff11 wrote:
Thanks for your help. One more question if you don't mind..when I see the shim kits and what not included in the purchase, it says for adjusting height and stuff, but where do they go?

They are at the junction between the receiver and the stock, and another, a plate at the butt, just under the recoil pad.

Once you have the gun, (or better yet, ask your dealer to let you read the operating manual beforehand), read it for their use/installation.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks again for your help Clyde. I just had a lesson in shotguns :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 am 
Utility Grade

jugchoke wrote:
Exceedingly long can also be a problem in a WF blind.

that's a new one on me. i, as well as MANY other people like a longer barrel for waterfowl b/c of the ease of swing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next