CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alliant's 20/28 Powder?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:15 am 
Diamond Grade

What does Alliant's 20/28 Powder do to an advantage over their own Unique, or Hodgdon's Universal? It would seem seem that big part of new sales for 20/28 will come from sales of their own Unique.

Post subject: re: Alliant's 20/28 Powder?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:11 am 
Crown Grade

The main advantages are cleanliness (if that's important to you), and density. Its reduced volume allows for loading the 28ga AAHS 'shorties' and also the 20ga AAHS hulls using standard wads and full payloads.

Another benefit I've noticed seems to be less wear & tear on the hulls. I'm at firing #4 on a batch of AAHS 28ga and I'm only just now getting stipling/orange-peel texture marks from burns.

Really the only disadvantages seem to be availability and higher cost. I consider it more of a replacement for Longshot than Universal or Unique, so it's actually a tiny bit cheaper if you're using it for that niche.

Oh, one last tiny disadvantage: no data yet for CF AA's or with non-branded primers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:44 pm 
I can add nothing about 20/28 powder qualities of fact. Isit a dense,slow burning powder similar to WSF and Longshot?Then you have your answer in it's very denseness: Many small gun users left Unique/Universal to find a denser substitute for the shorty AA's. 20/28 is Alliant's answer. Now that AA's have been made longer, it will be interesting to see if the increase in price over say, Alliant's own Unique prevents 20/28from finding a niche for itself, despite its good qualities.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:51 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I use the Alliant 20/28 only in 28 ga loads. It's density facilitates getting everything to fit and crimp well. Unique already meets my needs for 20 ga so why change? I am not driven by the desire to minimize the number of powders in stock.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee