Shotgun Forum banner

A-500???

26K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  RandyWakeman 
#1 ·
I have the chance to buy an A-500 in great shape, it was made in Belguim(sp) I did not get the serial# but did notice it had a switch on the side with R and MC...no idea what it's for but took a guess it has something to do with the option of shooting a 3"shell.
The person I am buying from has never steared me wrong but I would like to know if I will have any problems with this gun.
Any info regarding problems or recalls would be a great help.

Thanks

Chubby :D

#4 ·
In the best of condition I would not give over $200.00 if that much. I bought one when they first hit the market because of the made in Belgium hype and still being pizzed because of the move to Japan with the A-5 production. There was a reason they canceled the gun after only a few years. I would run from it. By the way, it's actually made in Portugal.

#6 ·
Chubby, I love all shotguns. I especially love Browning shotguns. But, there isn't a lot of love for the A 500 series. It was probably the least successful auto shotgun ever made by Browning. I want one someday, and I think they look great, but it should be cheap, dirt cheap, even if it's pristine.

If you want an old Browning Auto that's not a Double Automatic or an Auto Five, there are two excellent choices, the B 80 (made by Beretta) or the B 2000 (made in Belgium). The B 80 is just a Beretta 301-2-3 series gun with Browning clothes on, and Beretta barrels will interchange. The B 2000 was designed to be a modern, gas operated, Belgium made Auto Five alternative and is made like a Swiss watch, and finished to a high level, probably too high. They cost so much they couldn't sell many, so they switched over to the Beretta made B 80 for a few years. In any event, I think these two guns have a better reputation than the A 500's, either gas or recoil, and they are cheap as dirt, too.

#8 ·
A-500G.It seems to me that us that have them love them.The ones that don't and many that have never had them them seem to strongly dislike them.I and everyone that I have ever met and talked to in the 13 years that I have owned mine were completely satisfied with theirs.Yes we discussed how ignorant us owners are about the "piece of trash" we own.We would never know it if it was not for reading about it from many that would "never own such a piece of trash".I will be the first to admit that I can not compete with all of the intelligence and knowledge expressed by these folks on my shotgun.Now if you are interested in experience,I can and will.My A-500G has yet to give me any trouble or dissatisfaction in any way in 13 years.Also,I have 50+ years of owning and shooting 15 different shotguns,none of which has of yet to surpass the A 500G in durability or my personal likability.Yes there was a reason that they were only were manufactured a few years.Money,cheaper!The special steel receiver was expensive to buy and to machine.Try sticking a magnet to your modern shotgun receiver.It will stick to mine!Yea,I know.There has to be a trashed A-500G out there somewhere.I have no experience with the 500R.This is all I have to say about them.Alfred

#9 ·
A5Mag12 said:
In the best of condition I would not give over $200.00 if that much. I bought one when they first hit the market because of the made in Belgium hype and still being pizzed because of the move to Japan with the A-5 production. There was a reason they canceled the gun after only a few years. I would run from it. By the way, it's actually made in Portugal.
Mine says it is "Made in Belgium"."Assembled in Portugal".Alfred

#10 ·
alfred said:
A-500G.It seems to me that us that have them love them.The ones that don't and many that have never had them them seem to strongly dislike them.I and everyone that I have ever met and talked to in the 13 years that I have owned mine were completely satisfied with theirs.
Prepare to meet someone who bought one and owned one for some time-- and found it to be a huge disappointment: me. It was a non-compensating gas action in a clumsy, very heavy frame that was neither soft shooting or smooth.

This ungainly, heavy monster was matched to an attempt at a dog-leg stock that fit no one, with an odd reciever and equally odd dtep-rib that combined to make it one of the worst handling guns I've ever owned. It was so badly received that it was made for less than a year; with only two "years of production" despite only actually produced in one.

A bad design, hard to shoot, not easy on the eyes it never made it to 20 gauge by popular complaint. A huge, huge step backward from the innovative B2000 and the steel-received B-80 models.

Collectors might want one; it was one of Browning's greatest mistakes.

#11 ·
I own a Browning A500R the parts for the gun is made in BELGIUM but the gun is assembled in PORTUGAL. They were subject to a recall, all recalled guns have the letter (H) stamped om the bottom of the trigger guard. I came with three choke tubes & wrench 12ga 3in 26in barrel. It has never failed to feed/eject shoots 2 3/4 or 3in shell mix & match no problems. I have read lots of horror stories about the A500R mabey I got one of the better ones. I use G-96 to lube it with. Hunted with it in PA. in 10 to 70F weather never had a problem.

#12 ·
I bought an A-500 12 ga. in 1989 as a 30th anniv. present (the wife bought herself some jewelry.) I hunted it for a couple of years and then quit hunting altogether for 15 years. We moved to the country again after Katrina and I am back into hunting and used it again this fall on dove. I have had no problems with it that isn't traced back to shooter error. It doesn't have a "R" or "G" after the A-500, but the owners manual refers to it as being recoil operated. It is beautiful gun and still looks new. I realize that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholden." I paid $500.00 for it new and though its resale doesn't approach that I still am glad I got it.

Norm

#13 ·
Sorry to bring back an old thread (at least I used the search function) but my dad has a 500R and we have not once ever had an issue with it, fires, ejects, feeds... every time. Its heavy and clumsy but so is the A5 and the A5 has an outstanding reputation so i have no specific input on that. I understand that the A500s have quite a bad track record but I cant help but think that it just stems from early models and a reputation plagued by recalls. But who knows maybe were just lucky and got a hold of one that was built right and reliable.

Does anyone have any info on what was done to the guns marked with a H on the trigger..... what caused the recall and what was done to fix it?

also was there ever a recall on the later 500R models?

#14 ·
sandman503 said:
Sorry to bring back an old thread (at least I used the search function) but my dad has a 500R and we have not once ever had an issue with it, fires, ejects, feeds... every time. Its heavy and clumsy but so is the A5 and the A5 has an outstanding reputation so i have no specific input on that. I understand that the A500s have quite a bad track record but I cant help but think that it just stems from early models and a reputation plagued by recalls. But who knows maybe were just lucky and got a hold of one that was built right and reliable.

Does anyone have any info on what was done to the guns marked with a H on the trigger..... what caused the recall and what was done to fix it?

also was there ever a recall on the later 500R models?
My A500R was made in 1992 & it has the letter H stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard. I believe the recall was for the trigger assembly,but don't quote me on that & I do not know what Browning done to correct the problem. I love my A500R never had any problems with the gun feeds,fires & ejects 2 3/4 or 3" everytime . I have read post on SGW not to shoot 3" magnum in the gun or it will fall apart mine has not & I use 3" Hevi-Shot each hunting in PA. Perhaps I got one of the better, bad ones.

#16 ·
I hate to disagree, I have a 500R and it is one of my favorite. If you don't like the 500R try the Charles Daly. You will fall for the browning. If you have one "KEEP IT" If you don't, "GET ONE" And yes, it was made in Belgum and assembled in Portugal. Mine has the tiger striped stock and it looks great. As stated previously, I would give $200 for them all day.

#17 ·
I have an A-500R with the H on the trigger guard, so this means the gun was recalled?

I have a section of my gun collection dedicated to the Browning rejects....B-2000, A-500R & B-80, all unfired, NIB. I did not pay much for them and they are pretty to look at, unfired and all. They belong on the island of misfit guns. I will never shoot them.

I will be adding the new Auto-5 shortly.

#18 ·
I bought a 1994 Browning a500 Ducks Unlimited model from GunBroker.That was actually made in 1993 (last year for the A500). Its stamped with the letter "H" on the trigger assembly. I read from another member that all of the Ducks Unlimited Browning a500'S were "G" gas operated. Well mine is definitely a "R" Recoil operating version. All I can say is that I'm so extremely pleased with the quality and the reliability, that I would buy another one on the spot. I put over 500 shells through it with no problems, no failures. I paid 585.00 for a 99% DU model, that I haven't seen any cheaper than 1100 cash since then. I'm pretty happy with the exceptional bluing and quality wood. Please if you have one and hate it. I would definitely give you 200 bucks for it.

#20 ·
A5Mag12 said:
A5Mag12. I agree with you 100%. I purchased a new A500 back in 1987 or '88 and it was without a doubt one the worst reliable shotguns ever made. It was very slow to cycle, and broke down so often it became a one shot wonder. I had it fixed three times within 12 months by Browning and finally sent it back to them a 4th time and told them, politely, to keep it...without even replacing it. I also told them I had regretted the aquisition, wishing I had bought a Citori instead, and was extremily dissappointed that Browning would put out such a poor product. To their credit, they did contact me and did replace it with a brand new A500...which mirrored my original gun's poor reliability. Seems the plastic recoil buffer would break after a few shots amongst other problems. I eventually sold it to a friend, who new the history and I bought a new HK/Benelli Super Black Eagle which I am still shooting today.

My suggestion is to stay away from the early A500's completely.

#21 ·
Hello. I had no idea there were such issues with this gun. I have owned an A500 R since 1994 and it has been the most dependable I own. I have hunted everything pheasants,grouse,geese,turkeys,ducks and used it many,many times shooting clay pigeons and have never had one misfire. I am no expert but being ex military and a lifetime hunter I can say from experience this gun is right up there with other weapons I have used as far as dependability goes. I admit it feels a little cumbersome to some who have tried it. And also I am very particular about breaking all my guns down and cleaning and oiling them after every use. When I was in military this was usually the reason people had problems with weapons was poor personal maintenance on their weapons. Not saying that is always the case with some of your issues but maybe my almost religious care of my weapons is what saved me from having any problems. Or maybe I got lucky with mine.

#24 ·
While they are considered to be the Edsel of semi automatic shotguns (especially from Browning) some did work fine for many years. I bought mine in the first year of production (before the R and G separation/designation) as it was the first semi auto that could handle light field loads and 3" fodder without changing brakes, rings or springs to do so. It did have the "H" on the bottom of the trigger assembly per the recall notice.

Mine ran flawlessly for many years and when I finally decided to sell it a couple years back due to the fact I simply didn't shoot it much it was still throwing lead and shucking empties (I sold it for $325). A hunting buddy had the same vintage gun and except for a broken stock (he got it waterloged and it cracked at the junction with the receiver) it might have still been running today.

I never shot a G model and had heard the system was borrowed from the Beretta pintail (but have never had that totally confirmed or denied) but my particular recoil piece was a good shooter, save for being a bit heavy especially with its 28" barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.