Shotgun Forum banner

BRAGGING BOARD

98K views 95 replies 63 participants last post by  Treerider 
#1 ·
Got a big buck then brag post your pics.

#29 ·
Took this 11 point buck on the NY shotgun - regular season opener.
My son was with me to share the day and help drag this guy out of the woods!

Text to story here.

#31 ·
I have to say braggin on what I bag is fun, but braggin on my kids is a thousand times better. This is a picture of me with my 12yr old son and 15yr old daughter who, in less than thirty minutes, scored a button buck and a huge bodied 20" three point (Mulies both of them). My son scored first with a 115yrd shot on the button buck facing him. Then after the 10 does that were with him ran off he spotted the 3x3 and handed the rifle to my daughter who after a 150 yard stalk dropped the 3x3 at around 200 yards with a single shot.

Both kids shot from resting positions. Jake shot prone and Megan from shooting sticks. This was Jake's first and Megan's second. For Megan she's shot the 243 twice (while hunting) and each time bagged a deer (first shot was last year right through the heart). This year you just have to watch the video and see the shot http://www.tannerfamily.com/images/Large/2006JakeMeganHunt/2006JakeMeganHunt.wmv, its probably best to just right click and save the video local to view. It is not small but worth the wait.

#32 ·
Congrats to your kids for some fine shooting! Great video, I couldn't beleive how long those animals stood around like that. I wish tht would happen for me more often. Gotta love mulies for their curiosity. :D

Here is a mulie I mounted myself. Not quite what I hoped for, but it was a first attempt!

#36 ·
Hi rockman, I was using a cottontail screamer by quaker boy. I think the call worked to get the dog near me, or at least to check me out. But I actually walked right up to him. I was on a path in the dark, walking and when I looked over to my left, there he was staring at me! I took him at about 10 yards with a 12ga. (Stevens side by side) When I fisrt saw him, he was leering at me with his head down a bit, a pretty scary sight mind ya. This was the biggest Coyote I've ever seen. We used to have them in my backyard (where he was shot) every night. But after taking this one they all seemed to dissapear. maybe he was the alpha male or something. We still get coyotes here every few weeks but not like b4 this guy was shot. weird huh. There were others around me when I shot this big guy, I could hear them running after I shot, man that was spookey. I'm kinda afraid of the woods at night anyways. (not as much toting a 12ga. though) I havent had a good shot at a coyote since. I'm kinda new to hunting preditors, I'm more of a duck hunter so I wouldn't give you very good advice except for this.....stick with it and put in the time! thats all it takes and you'll be rewarded in the end. Thanks for your interest.

rockman22, Do you hunt coyotes too? Or are you just starting? if you do where? I hear we have big dogs around here (in Massachusetts) what is the avg size of the dogs where you are. Here I guess 30 pounds or more is common. thats what I'm told anyways.

#38 ·
Here is my first archery buck that I killed a few weeks ago. I have been bow hunting now for 3 seasons and I never have gotten a shot at a good buck. This guy came in right at the end of shooting time. As soon as I saw him, I drew and evaluated him throught the peep sights. Gave him quick grunt and shot him at 15 yards. He isn't a monster by any means, but having not killed a buck with my bow, I couldn't pass him up.

#47 ·
AWESOME pictures & vids, great to see the kids are getting out there & the video of the little guy slugging the rifle up the hill brings back memories of my youngest trudging up & down hills for 2 days with his rifle wearing him down - great stuff

My two teenage sons are able to hunt w/o me, now I just have my last "gem" who turned 13, cherishing every moment of it and lucky she is tough as most boys.

I will post some pictures of last years scores and some short clips of early doe.

Thanks gents for sharing.

#51 ·
There was only one day left in the general deer season for centerfire. I've had my license and tag for some time but my work has kept me on the road until this week when I got to stay home and today was the day! I left work at 3 pm and was carrying my rifle into the woods at the pastor's place at about 3:40.

When we got out there we met up with Glen, Pastor Kevin's dad and he told me he hadn't sen any bucks in well over a week and that I might well have missed out on them for the year (again, I'd been travelling throughout the whole dove season and most of the general deer season). Not good news with only two chances left for me!

We talked for a few minutes and walked out to the field anyways and didn't go more than 75 yards when I spotted no less that 5 deer (4 bucks and a doe). I moved to where I could get a shot off and three of the bucks were on the wrong side of the fence leaving this one on my side.

I was no more than 75 feet (not yards) and the deer was standing there straight at me. No shot since at that distance the bullet would rip through the entrails and such...not good eats! Again, if you know me, you know I'm a praying man so, I asked God to turn the deer for me and move the doe from behind the buck.

Doe walks off and the buck turned 90 degrees presenting a perfect broadside target. The buck then looked right at me and I squeezed the trigger. After I recovered from the recoil I saw the deer quivering in the same spot and knew he wasn't going far. He stumbled ten feet and fell. The bullet went straight through his heart and out the other side.

Sears Heritage M-IV Supreme (Santa Barbara Mauser action) chambered in .270 Win
Simmons 44 Mag wide angle 3-10x44 scope
Winchester 150 gr. Power Point bullet

Sorry for the poor quality pics, I had to use the camera in my phone.

Thank you Lord for providing this deer for the church and the men we're serving. Amen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.