CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making Shot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 am 
Utility Grade

First of all hello everyone. Name is scott. Living in Monrovia Ca. I do a lot of rifle shooting and handgun. I have been reloading and casting bullets for over 20 years. I never had the interest in shot gun loading when you can buy a brick of 100 at walmart for 15.00. However I always loved to shoot my 410 guage but hated to pay the 8.00 price for a box. So started to look into reloading. I have a few good sources on hulls and wads. However i am still in the reading and learning phase on what shot to use. Problem i keep seeing is that everyone is talking a lot about the high prices of lead shot. Being that i like to do almost everything myself. Then since i have over 200lbs of lead bars just sitting here. Im asking myself. Where do i get molds to make lead shot. I have been looking however i cant seem to find any. Does anyone have a link on making lead shot. I am sure its the same as making bullets. i have made almost every bullet possible in lead cast. Used to sell them too. But i need info on molds for shot.

Post subject: re: Making Shot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are molds available for buckshot or 45/50 cal round balls, but to make shot you need a "dripper"...here are a few links to the ones I know about on the market..

http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html

The above link is to the Stewart's shotmaker, only comes in 220v, but is a much higher quality than the Littletons. Iron bowl instead of aluminum. Various shot sizes are only 45.00 a set.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/item.php?id=2

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:22 am 
Utility Grade

I dont think you need a dripper. That is for sure old school technology. i know magma makes a shot maker mold but just way too much money. here is another link to making buch shot. you could make 20 at a time. in one pour

As far as melting lead. i already have a bottom pour lead melter. i also have top pouring capabilites with a ladel.

any how here is the site.
http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=88

ok forget it i just checked on that link it is by magma. that is amazing that we still use drip makers for lead shot. same time that isnt anything but an angled hot plate with a pre determined size hole that will let the lead drip out at a certain angle.

Post subject: Re: re: Making Shot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:36 pm 

scrat wrote:
I dont think you need a dripper. That is for sure old school technology. i know magma makes a shot maker mold but just way too much money. here is another link to making buch shot. you could make 20 at a time. in one pour

As far as melting lead. i already have a bottom pour lead melter. i also have top pouring capabilites with a ladel.

ok forget it i just checked on that link it is by magma. that is amazing that we still use drip makers for lead shot. same time that isnt anything but an angled hot plate with a pre determined size hole that will let the lead drip out at a certain angle.

Well, in that case, invent something better! :roll:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:01 pm 
Field Grade

There are all sorts of molds to cast buck shot but none that I know of for small shot. If Magna has some they certainly don't advertise for it. What to you plan on shooting with your .410? There are at least 2 dripper systems out there and to the best of my knowledge if you want to make your own shot that is what you have to use . Obsolete method or not.

Post subject: Re: re: Making Shot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

scrat wrote:

I can't think of somthing kind to say so I guess I won't say anything. :(

RVN 67,68 & 69