CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best electronic ear muffs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

Hi All, I am looking to buy a top of the range electronic ear muffs, I need to import them from the U.S. so will have go by the feed back I get here , We have the Peltor tactical 6 but looking for something better,They will only be used for trap shooting,
Been looking at the" Ridgeline sporting clays plus" any body using them? any info would be appreciated.
Brian

Post subject: re: Best electronic ear muffs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:59 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have had two of the Peltor 6.5 s and I like them very much. I had a pair of Beretta's e-muffs, and the sound quality was not nearly as good as the Peltor.

Peltors prices have recently come down so they are a good deal in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:40 pm 
Field Grade

I've had Peltor Tac 7's?? for years and love them. They work very well and are much cheaper now than they were then. There are also some clones of them out there I think. I like the single volume control myself; seems many have dual controls which I consider a pain the rear.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:34 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the feed back!
RFlanders: All the reviews I have read on the Peltor 7 have been excellent but have all come from hand gun shooters.
Do you find them not to bulky? and do you have a problem with them touching the top of the stock?
Thanks Brian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:04 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I use mine more for teaching than for shooting, but I can adjust them high enough so that they do not interfere with my gun mount. I just put them as high as I can over my ears and it works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 am 
Field Grade

Brian: I generally don't find the Tac7's to be too bulky for shotgun shooting but I shoot with as upright a head as I can. With my 28ga that has a pretty flat, way too flat in my opinion, stock, I do notice the muffs interfere a little, but not bad. With my guns with 2-3/4" or more DAH as I like, it's no problem at all. What I most like is the single volume control. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they use dual volume control as a selling point. I consider it a royal PITA. If the Tac6 line had single control I would likely try them. My shooting partner likes long flat stocks and finds the tac6 style intrusive. If they weren't so expensive I'd try some of the new cancelling earrplugs/hearing aid types. We shoot a lot in very cold weather and wear fur hats and such so muffs are a hassle.