CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Affordable One Person Clay Thrower?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:18 am 
Field Grade

Hi All,

I just picked up the shotgun sport this past winter (hunting) and I'm growing restless with the duck season over and a looooong time to go before next season. I'd like to purchase an affordable ($200 or less if possible) thrower that I can use by myself if I like. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions? I've never shot clays in my life and this is new to me, so please keep this in mind. Thanks for any advice/opinions!

Post subject: re: Affordable One Person Clay Thrower?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The absolute cheapest is a hand thrower. It takes a little bit of practice to get it to throw (believe it or not) but you'll get the hang of it. Load your gun, throw the target, drop the thrower and mount and shoot. Its good practice. With experience you can throw high and low and throw curves too. Its not mechanical so its easy to store. If you can get a partner he/she can move off to the side and you'll get good crossing shots. FWIW GJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

I have one of these and it does a pretty good job for what it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:33 pm 
Limited Edition

I second the Trius recommended by mscott. Very simple setup and throws singles well. Just have to get used to setting up your stance and mounting gun after stepping on trap lever, but this is good practice for hunting situations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:49 pm 
Field Grade

Great, thanks for the advice guys. That looks like exactly what I had in mind plus the reviews I've read on it seem to be all positive.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:32 am 
Diamond Grade

Another vote for the Trius One-Step....I love mine and use it at least a couple days a month out in the desert in my favorite "boonies" shooting spot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

The Trius is great, once you get it assembled. If you're not mechanical like me it's a test.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recommend the Trius as well. The only downside is that my 106 pound 12 year old son doesn't quite have the weight to trigger the throw yet! Now when my shooting buddy and I went up to the farm last month, we had an absolute blast. I think we shot 5 boxes of birds from all angles and heights - it was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shooting by yourself with a cheap thrower is a problem. Unless you are happy with the same shot over and over from a thrower like the trius one step. I have a champion thrower that sets up on 3 legs and doesn't require anchoring. I have used a long string wrapped around a tree to move out and take other shots. But it gets old real fast having to go back each shot to reload the thrower. If shooting alone you will have to get a remote thrower that loads itself. I guess the do-all chinese thrower at 4 or 5 hundred with a remote would be the best choice. If you have a helper there are many cheap throwers that would suffice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 pm 
Field Grade

Here is a real deal: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... D=DOAA7777

Post subject: Re: re: Affordable One Person Clay Thrower?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:11 am 
Field Grade

Red57Bird wrote:
I recommend the Trius as well. The only downside is that my 106 pound 12 year old son doesn't quite have the weight to trigger the throw yet! Now when my shooting buddy and I went up to the farm last month, we had an absolute blast. I think we shot 5 boxes of birds from all angles and heights - it was a lot of fun.

Sorry if this sounds redundant, but does this thrower have to be anchored or is the weight of your foot when you depress the mechanism enough to hold it down without throwing you off balance ? Or is it heavy enough that it wont go flying after every shot ? I had a thrower that i borrowed off a friend years ago and i had to anchor it to a board and put a string around my leg and stand on the board,lol.
Sounds ridicoulous, i know but i was always going off by myself and there was no other alternative.
If this one can be managed without pounding stakes into the hard desert ground out here i will get one for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

I've not anchored mine and yes it does tumble over occasionally, but not often enough to annoy me much. I'd be curious to hear what others say about this. I do get more consistent throws when the ground is moist enough to dig in the legs. The instructions say to step on the lever in a steady motion, but I find I have to hit it pretty hard to throw well, and when I hit it too hard it can spill. Still, I don't think this is enough of an issue to not buy one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:09 pm 
Utility Grade

i just bought one a couple weeks ago and absolutly love it. thrown well over 300 clays so far and hasnt broken one. I have never anchored it and havnt had any problem at all with it tumbling over or kicking back at me, even when i have the tension cranked all the way down. hell of a deal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:40 am 
Tournament Grade

No need to anchor it as I see it. I have to move it after a while if we've had a lot of rain and the ground is soft. Other than that, works like a charm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:12 am 
Field Grade

Well i picked up the Trius one step and just finished putting it together last night after a little cussing about the lack of clear directions, lol. I was setting the tension way too high not knowing any better and was trying to work it and i was thinking you have to weigh 400 pounds to get this pedal down. I didnt realize you didnt need that much pressure, but i got it going and its working quite well. I shot about 100 birds with it and didnt have any mechanical problems at all. For $100 you really cant go wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tough to beat the Trius one-step for going out alone and shooting singles or doubles.
Kicks clays out to about 40 yards or so (angle and wind dependent)