CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Model 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:29 am 
Tournament Grade

For some time, I've wanted a nice SxS within a budget to use for upland bird hunting. I looked at what was available new for under $1000 and was pretty much unimpressed. So I decided to look at used, and I researched (much of it on this site) as much as I could and after shouldering a very used Ithaca SKB in a local gun shop and loved the way it felt but not the way it looked. So feeling pretty confident about fit and feel, I decided to shop online for one that was in better condition.

I've just acquired one: It is a 12ga SKB Model 100. The story was that the gun was part of an estate sale and had less than a single box of shells fired through it. It certainly looks new and aside from a single faint mark in the stock appears to be perfect having no discernable mechanical wear at all.

I've never owned an SKB before and I'd like to find out when my gun was manufactured and/or imported. Here are the details:

As I said, it is an SKB, not an Ithaca SKB model 100. It has 28" barrels with a solid rib and a single high vis front sight (orange) - no mid bead. The barrels are choked full and modified. It is chambered 3" and the fellow I bought it from said it had chrome lined barrels (although I'm not too sure about this). The receiver is blued with fairly simple, but nice engraving of a pheasant on one side and a duck on the other. The trigger is silver. It has a pistol grip stock with an SKB recoil pad that looks factory installed. LOP is about 14 1/4". I've looked on the web for a serial number lookup and haven't found it yet. The serial number of this gun is: 51102XX.

I haven't fired it as yet, but it shoulders nicely and sure feels "lively." I'm pretty sure that I've found myself a "keeper" here.

Can anyone help me out with information?

Post subject: re: New Model 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:21 am 
Please Post the exact markings on the gun barrels. MY understanding is that after the Ithaca/SKB deal ended, some guns were imported by Mitsui and I have seen one personally with nice engraving gold inlayed on the reciever. After that came SKB directly marked gun but I thought that they did not import the base model 100. Your gun could also have come from a purchase in Japan or Korea by a serviceman and then imported into the US. A picture would be a big help.
In any event you have a nice 12 gauge. Does it have extractors? How is the pad marked? -Dick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I will try to post pictures. It's obviously a Mitsui import (should have included this in my first post). :oops:

Barrel markings:

Right: "Made by SKB Arms Company, Japan"

Left: "SKB Model 100 3" Chamber Proof Tested
Mitsui and CO, (USA), INC., Chicago, ILL"

I didn't mention that it has a beaver tail forearm.

The recoil pad is marked "SKB"

The gun has extractors - no gold inlay though :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:54 am 
I have not been able to find any records on Mitsui imports. So your gun was manufactured after Ithaca stopped importing them and before the current importer took over. They are very few and far between but the ones i have personally handled are all of SKB quality. The one 20 had the engraving done in gold and there were no actual inlays, very attractive guns. Bores should be black chromed lined. The only thing I would check is the constrictions. I don't know if the Mitsui guns were designed for steel or other hard Non-Toxics so Bismuth or Kent TM until one can get a specific reference. This is a very nice waterfowl gun. -Dick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have 2 of those SKB's imported after Ithaca stopped importing them. Same quality as always. Excellent pieces. No difference from the one I have with Ithaca SKB on the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Just wondering if it looks like this one. This is the Ithaca Model 100. I bought it new in 1970 for $169. I was under the impression that it is the same gun as the SKB...one being produced under the SKB name and the other one being produced under the Ithaca moniker.

Post subject: Re: New Model 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the same SKB Model 100 (not Ithaca) in excellent condition that I'm going to sell. Probably had 4 boxes of bird shot through it. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours that you bought from the estate sale? Thanks -- I'm trying to come up with a reasonable asking price.