CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best 12 gauge 00 buckshot home defense brand of ammo?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:20 pm 
Field Grade

What's the best tried and tested 12 gauge 00 buckshot brand of ammo for home defense in your opinion?

Post subject: re: Best 12 gauge 00 buckshot home defense brand of ammo?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Remington makes a good one. However, I was wondering the same thing and asked a couple of gun pros (military and LE) and they said to use #4 shot! I don't know what would be best. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

I'm loaded with Low recoil stuff, which my wife can handle comfortably. At household ranges, I don't think any brands pattern too badly to be considered.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:48 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

The best home defense 00 buck is number 4 buck. 00 buck has too much penetration - thru walls, into neighbors house, etc. #4 will get the job done.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 pm 
Limited Edition

The best 00 buckshot is the one that patterns well in your shotgun. Also, the best way to avoid over penetration with 00 buckshot is to hit your target. Anything that is a reliable man stopper, will over penetrate walls. Remember that a 9mm/40/45 will ALL penetrate more than a 00 pellet.

I like Federal Vital-Shok for my HD ammo, with Remington Express for my "buy cheap, stock deep" 00 buckshot.

Oh, and birdshot sucks for HD use. You wouldn't use it on a deer, why use it on a 250 pound attacker?

"I'll stick with what I know. You two just keep circle jerking with ammo manufacturer's data." Originally posted by Spurrit on why steel barrels are valid forms of ballistic testing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree about birdshot being terrible for HD. A 280 pound meth head is going to be brought down as easily as a pheasent or rabbit. I would probably go with the number 4 buck or a BB goose load. I remember reading on here from a lawyer that you should use a normal heavy hunting load in a normal hunting shotgun. His reasoning is that if the prosecutor holds up a black tactical shotgun with HD brand buckshot, uninformed jury members would belive you were almost baiting intruders. I dont know what anyones position is on this, and dont mean to start a war, but I do agree on his reasoning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:25 am 
Tournament Grade

I load #4 buffered buck, it will do the job out to 40-50 yards. (You shoot somebody at that range though, you really will have a problem with a jury, and probably the local authorities as well!) Inside distances occurring IN your home, I would think a heavy load, 1 1/4 up, #6 or larger shot would be a pretty decent defence round.

My home defence weapon is an old A-5, black replacement stocks, the 10,000 or so round took the forearm to splinters one day, so I opted for the plastic replacements, would suspect that I am good for another 10-20K rounds. With the rifle sighted "Buck" barrel on her, she is a formidable looking and acting deterrent to unacceptable behavior.

Post subject: Re: Best 12 gauge 00 buckshot home defense brand of ammo?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Remington seems good but I love knife as self defense.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

If you have loved ones in the house you do not want 00 Buck...to much penetration...may even effect the neighbors home if they are close...in this case bigger is not better

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMO the best defense load is either Federal LE132 or LE127. Ballistic testing shows that only #1 buck and larger will reliably meet the FBI minimum standard of 12in penetration in ballistics gel. If you have loved ones in your home, use buckshot, don't miss, and make the badguy DRT. If lethal force is justified it doesn't matter if you used a Red Ryder or a 155MM howitzer. Use the proper tool for the job, and be familiar with that tool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:58 am 
Crown Grade

Federal 3" 00 buck is what's in my Mossberg tube for HD. I pray I'll never have to use it, but from what I have seen it do on the range, I'm confident it will do the job.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Stick with 00 buck, If you want a brand, anything Federal that says FLITE CONTROL wad. The other brand which has a similar wad it the Hornady 00 buck in its various forms. Try the reduced recoil loads if you are using a pump as they car very similar to bird shot as far as recoil.
Go to the TAC forum here and read the sticky at the top of it with the wound pics.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958
or you can try the Box O TRUTH if you want some analysis of shot sizes and over penetration (why it doesn't matter).
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:11 am 

I think too much thought is going into this.
That being said, I would use anything anything smaller than 00.

Post subject: Re: re: Best 12 gauge 00 buckshot home defense brand of ammo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:16 am 
Tournament Grade

Crack Shot wrote:
I would probably go with the number 4 buck or a BB goose load.

Keep a couple of things in mind - that BB load is going to most likely be steel shot - you don't want steel (less dense and not going to penetrate nearly as well).

Personally I like any of the lighter 00 Buck loadings. I have Remington Managed Recoil 2 3/4" OO in my home 12ga right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

The cheapest you can buy. You are NOT talking Rocket Science here. They ALL work well - several medium to large caliber balls passing through flesh don't allow bad guys to swim or float very well, and ALWAYS allow you to safely put in a "finisher" to make sure no one can testify or sue you if they were "breaking/entering".

BobK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The consensus on the Tactical/HD forum seems to be that the Federal loads with the Flitecontrol wad produce the tightest patterns in most shotguns. The Hornady TAP uses the same wad under license.
http://le.atk.com/general/federalproduc ... kshot.aspx
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/more_ ... D=81&pID=1

If the longest shot in your home is 15 feet, it probably doesn't matter. If "home defense" for you means "out to the treeline", you may want a tight pattern.

Reduced-recoil loads, like the Federal LE132, can help you make faster aimed followup shots. They're great for pumps, but the downside is that they won't cycle some semi-autos.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=224340

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot20.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:42 pm 
Field Grade

Posts of this nature appear from time to time on this forum and others and mostly coming from Americans. Two main issues cause me to wonder:
1) Do you really need it?
I mean I am not a green-liberal but I am amazed at the focus on this subject. Do you keep the guns as a precaution for something that might not come in your lifetime or is it businnes as usual to shoot inside or around your homestead?
2) The over penetration issue
Are the houses made of cardboard? The housing I know has 6 inch brick walls with 1-2 inch mortar on each side. I dont see anything short of a 1 ounce slug penetrating that and hurting someone on the other side.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

confused wrote:
Posts of this nature appear from time to time on this forum and others and mostly coming from Americans. Two main issues cause me to wonder:
I mean I am not a green-liberal but I am amazed at the focus on this subject. Do you keep the guns as a precaution for something that might not come in your lifetime or is it businnes as usual to shoot inside or around your homestead?
Are the houses made of cardboard? The housing I know has 6 inch brick walls with 1-2 inch mortar on each side. I dont see anything short of a 1 ounce slug penetrating that and hurting someone on the other side.

1) For the vast majority of people there's probably no "need". It's seen as a tool to deal with an unlikely event -- a bit like a fire extinguisher. A serviceable pump shotgun can be purchased for under $200.

2) Typical home construction in the US is wood-frame. An exterior wall might be 2x4" vertical studs on 16" centers, chipboard sheathing, glass wool insulation, vinyl or wooden siding, gypsum wallboard(sheetrock) interior. Interior walls are typically sheetrock over wooden studs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NHrural wrote:
confused wrote:

1) For the vast majority of people there's probably no "need". It's seen as a tool to deal with an unlikely event -- a bit like a fire extinguisher. A serviceable pump shotgun can be purchased for under $200.

2) Typical home construction in the US is wood-frame. An exterior wall might be 2x4" vertical studs on 16" centers, chipboard sheathing, glass wool insulation, vinyl or wooden siding, gypsum wallboard(sheetrock) interior. Interior walls are typically sheetrock over wooden studs.

+1

I keep a spare tire in the car, I try to always wear a seatbelt, I keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and I wear glasses when I shoot. How does keeping a loaded gun seem any more unreasonable than these things?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:53 am 
Field Grade

liljake82 wrote:
I keep a spare tire in the car, I try to always wear a seatbelt, I keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and I wear glasses when I shoot. How does keeping a loaded gun seem any more unreasonable than these things?

I didn't say it is unreasonable, I have a 12g too. I was just looking for information. The amount of self defense material on the web makes it look like it is still the wild wild west. NHrural's post indicates otherwise. Your post is on the same lines with NHrural. I have a clearer view now. Thats all.