CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FRANCHI 48 AL FIELD or DELUXE in 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:22 pm 
Field Grade

Wondering if I can get some input on the FRANCHI 48 AL in 20 gauge.

Looking for a light weight field gun for upland hunting (grouse, woodcock and an occasional pheasant or quail hunt). I'm also interested in exploring (casual not competitive) sporting clays.

I'm also a fan of English straight stocks and oil finish (not gloss), and I understand that the FRANCHI 48 AL can come configured that way.

I'm also favor more of a quick swinging 24" or 26" barrel that seems to fit my quick gun mounting and firing upland hunting shooting style. Again it's my understanding that the FRANCHI 48 AL comes with either a 24" or 26" barrel.

I'm a long time 20 ga. fan so that's why I'm favoring that gauge (plus I'm not a reloader and the premuim costs for 28 gauge shells over 20 ga. could be a possible issue).

I understand that the FRANCHI 48 AL comes in both Field and Deluxe versions. What's the difference in these grades?

In terms of reliability, maintenance, repair records how does the FRANCHI 48 AL fare?
    Are there any questions or concerns about the FRANCHI 48 AL?
    Are repair parts (if ever needed) readily available?
    Do most gunsmiths have experience with the FRANCHI 48 AL?
    Are after-market interchangeable choke tubes readily available?
    What would be a fair, competitive market price for either a new-in-box ("NIB") FRANCHI 48 AL FIELD or DELUXE in 20 guage with either 24" or 26" barrel?

THANKS in advance for any help you can provide!! :)

Last edited by bobb_topgun on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: FRANCHI 48 AL FIELD or DELUXE in 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

While I can't speak to the 48AL 20 ga question, I can tell you that I have a 12 ga field model that my father gave me for Christmas in 1972 or 1973. I couldn't gather a guess as to how many deer, upland birds, rabbits, and squirrels I've harvested with that gun! In addition, it was my only "real" shotgun for nearly 20 years, doing double duty in the field as well as shooting case after case of clays.

I've only had one problem with the gun after all these years. One of the brass friction rings developed a "spur" and needed to be honed a little. The gunsmith spent 5 minutes on it and wouldn't take any money for the repair.

I'm in the market for a 20 ga and a 28 ga 48AL. I've been casually looking for the right deal for a few years. While my collection has grown over the years, the Franchi is still my "go to gun" for upland game birds.

- Jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:37 pm 

The AL48 has been around since 1948. They are LOng Recoil operated like the Browning Auto-5. They are well made and reliable. This design goes a long time with out cleaning if needed and are easy to take down. You do need to adjust the friction ring sometimes for different power shells. The AL 48 uses the Mobil choke tube system that Both Benelli and Beretta has used so, tubes are pretty easy to find.

I think the AL 48 is the best upland model made.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

Have two 28 gauge Franchi 48 AL shotguns.No trouble with either one of them.They are my favourite upland shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have had 3 of them....still have a 28ga.....another vote for their reliability.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I love my 28 ga. If I didn't already have an M2 in 20 ga I'd be buying one without a doubt.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've owned a couple of them. Nothing wrong with either. They got swept away in some gun trade I've long forgotten :lol:

Forty years ago, when I was a little boy, my Daddy and his friends talked about pointer dogs and quail hunting, back when there were really a lot of quail, and they all agreed that three guns were the last word in "quail guns", they were:

1. The Sweet 16 Auto Five, by Browning

2. The Ithaca Model 37, 20 or 16, your choice

3. The Franchi AL48, 20 gauge

They wanted improved cylinder chokes on their guns, and the 26 inch barrels. The Franchi is the lightest auto shotgun, gauge for gauge, ever made. It will work for a lifetime. They've made about sevenelven jillion of them. Go to a gun shop where they stock both the plain model and the deluxe, and see how you like them. If I were you, I'd buy the deluxe. You won't want your grandkids to think you were a tightwad. They'll still be shooting it long after you're done with it :lol:

Post subject: Re: FRANCHI 48 AL FIELD or DELUXE in 20 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Pastor, If you haven't found one yet, I have a 20 gauge with a 28" full and a 26" I.c..No screw in chokes.Bought new in 1977,used very little. Had a pacemaker implant and can't shoot any more. Gun and extra barrel for $800.00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bobb_topgun wrote:
I understand that the FRANCHI 48 AL comes in both Field and Deluxe versions. What's the difference in these grades? Appearance
    In terms of reliability, maintenance, repair records how does the FRANCHI 48 AL fare?
    No issues
    Are there any questions or concerns about the FRANCHI 48 AL?
    No
    Are repair parts (if ever needed) readily available?
    Yes
    Do most gunsmiths have experience with the FRANCHI 48 AL?
    NO. Most folks who call themselves gunsmiths these days aren't in my opinion. That's doubly bad because not only are you at risk, but it gives the good ones a bad name. Check references. And, a "good" real gunsmith doesn't need to ever have even seen a 48 to figure out things and not damage the gun. If you read the owner's manual and take care of it, odds on needing a 'smith are not high.
    Are after-market interchangeable choke tubes readily available?
    Yes, but choke tubes are not a universal fit. Different brand guns use different tubes, but there is some interchangeability as noted above.
    What would be a fair, competitive market price for either a new-in-box ("NIB") FRANCHI 48 AL FIELD or DELUXE in 20 gauge with either 24" or 26" barrel?
    Look at completed auctions on GunBroker is the best advice I can offer. You might also look and see what Bud's gunshop in KY is selling them for. They are usually highly competitive on pricing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi:

I have a Franchi 48AL 20 gage that I almost always use when it comes to bird hunting! I have many other Upland guns but the Franchi all most always accompanies me when I go bird hunting. Mine weighs 5lbs. 4 oz. and is very slim and trim! Even at my age, I can carry one all day without becoming fatigued.

I bought two of these guns for $350.00 each. One was a private deal and one was via Gunbroker.com. Look on Gunbroker.com to see what is there. I think that you can get a very nice 48 for $500.00 or less. I would pick a plain model for a hunting gun. If you really want to go first class, buy a new Fenice for about $1400.00! Very pretty gun. Oh yes, it is the top of the line for the 48AL series!

Mine was made in 1952 and is still flawless!

Good luck,

Leomat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a 20ga English stock one with a 24 inch barrel. I think it is a little short for clays. I do shoot trap with it and I can do well with it. It is a little tough to get a smooth swing because it is such a light weight gun. It just takes a little more practice. I have not seen very many of these for sale and it might take a while to find one.

If you don't have to have the English stock, and round knob would be my choice and a 26 inch barrel. Also some of the older ones had franchokes and these are a little harder to find.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Get the Fenice. Not the english stock, but it is a beautiful shotgun.

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-fenice-shotgun/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are issues with al48s that is important to look for, more so if you buy online. Like all recoil operated guns, if the previous owners shot them with the friction peice set wrong, they can crack the stock around the trigger guard tang. The forearms can crack too.