CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disassembly of Beretta 391
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 am 
Diamond Grade

Anyone install the rivet that is used to keep the carrier lever attached? If so, what did you use to knock that down?
I presume that a punch wide enough to cover the entire end and hammer will do.

Thanks,
Slow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a section on that added to the end of the book. In the meantime, this should help - viewtopic.php?t=138804

The book section is more complete and better organized than that post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Seamus,
Thanks for the link and advice! Hopefully will have this ready to go shortly.
Slow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:27 pm 
Field Grade

Seamus:

I purchased your book and am still looking for the definitive guide to lubricating the AL391. Do you have anything put together on this? I don't think I skipped over it, but if so please set me straight.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:43 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hello Seamus

Thanks for doing this opus. I tackled and completed the job of cleaning and reassembly of the gas valve on my 391 using your book. I doubt that I would have done it using the 391 owner's manual.

Add me to the list of those who like the book.

Warm Regards,

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Great post Seamus! I read your post before I cleaned my 391 Trap yesterday afternoon, and your info was right on the money.

Thank you for your help, Rodbuster.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Seamus,

Your book is excellent. Beretta should be thanking you if they haven't done so already.

Again Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:44 am 
Field Grade

Jackr wrote:
Seamus:

I purchased your book and am still looking for the definitive guide to lubricating the AL391. Do you have anything put together on this? I don't think I skipped over it, but if so please set me straight.

Thanks.

Bump

Still looking for lubrication advice.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jackr wrote:
I purchased your book and am still looking for the definitive guide to lubricating the AL391. Do you have anything put together on this?

This book was never intended to be a primer on how to clean and lubricate a gun. It simply is what it is - how to take the 391 apart for cleaning and how to get it back together again. It does include a few notes on lubrication for those things that are unique to the 391, but that's all. When I wrote it I deliberately avoided trying to cover cleaning and lubrication in general, because the 391 isn't much different from other guns in that respect, and because there are too many different opinions on the best methods, products, etc.

OK, since you asked, I'll break down and tell you what I do with my 391. Remember, a thousand other people will tell you a thousand other ways to do it - and all of those ways will work.

When I clean and reassemble my 391, I leave a very light coat of Breakfree CLP on everything. I also use a little Permatex Anti-Seize Compound on the threads of the valve shaft and the magazine tube cap (the part the forend nut screws down on) and on the sides of the spring-loaded piston that is inside the forend nut.

It's as simple as that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for this post. Has helped me several times. Great work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was going to remove the recoil spring from my AL390 & clean it and the tube..........but I could NOT get the spring cap off. :(

A cresent wrench would try to slip & round off the corners. I tried a pr of vise grips, but they would do the same thing, so I stopped before I messed up the threads & really screw things up. From what I could see thru the holes, the spring looked clean. So I put a shot of CLP in both ends & called it done for the time being.

Any suggestions???????

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

primeduck wrote:
Any suggestions???????

Did you heat it to break the Locktite, as suggested in the original post?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Oops. Guess I overlooked that important piece of info, or was focusing on the other tips of the spring removal. :oops:

I'll purchase a small butane torch.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I sent you a PayPal payment this morning for a copy of the manual. Looks very good. You have done a great job for all of us mechanically challenged types! {hs#

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:27 pm 
Field Grade

Someone on YouTube has a couple good videos from a Beretta Service Manager - Disassembly and reassembly of an AL391, with commentary on crucial parts to lubricate (as well as where NOT to lubricate). Sorry if this has been posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6U4FAs51tM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzCwqh_iImg

(http://www.youtube.com/user/slim22193)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks, bss. I don't think those links have been posted here before - the videos are brand new, within the last few days.

Those videos are good and they should be helpful to someone who has just bought his first 391, but they illustrate the problem with videos like that - you simply can't put much detailed info in them. They show how to remove the barrel, bolt, and trigger group, but that's about all. No comparable video could possibly include all the info contained in the 82 pages and 53 close-up photos of a book like mine. I suppose it would be possible to produce a CD with all the details, but it would have to include hours and hours of run time, and production costs for that would make it completely impractical.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:11 pm 
Field Grade

I agree they don't go into nearly as much detail as your guide, but it's a good start for someone who just wants to do basic maintenance on their 39x...however, I think you might be on to something regarding a DVD of explanations and close-ups of the various repairs and modifications one can do to a 39x (or even expanded to other Berettas). Something to think about - I know I'd buy one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:17 pm 
Utility Grade

These videos do make things clear in a basic disassembly/reassembly of 391. However, for people who want to do a complete cleanup it leaves out a lot of detail. For instance the worst cosmoline I've found was in the magazine tube on my 3901. The magazine spring was completely smeared with the stuff. Seamus' book to the rescue!

Both the video and the owners manual say not to oil the gas piston, the gas valve, the gas cylinder, and the magazine shaft. Nevertheless, in my case, I use EEZOX CLP and left a very thin film with these parts. After shooting, cleanup was a snap. I also soak the piston in CLP and cleaning the bushing was, again, easy.

The video does not talk about cleaning of the barrel gas ports. The Beretta owner manual does not either. It seems that being proactive about keeping them clean or maintained seems to be a good idea. For my 3901 20 ga. I use a 3/32 (0.09375) drill bit for gentle probing. Larger bits wouldn't fit. I am fortunate that the deposits were not hardened when cleaning. At the time I used Federal Top Guns not realizing they were about the dirtiest ammo out there. Fortunately, after reading the warnings here, I've stopped using them. EEZOX CLP seems to have mitigated this problem since before the gun was ever used, I thoroughly cleaned and left a thin film in the gas ports. I still do this.

For me, the best part of the video was where and how to lubricate the trigger assembly. Certainly that can be helpful.

I've never had single failure or slow down with 3901. It expels shells at a consistent 7-8 feet with target loads. The only regret I have is I still cannot remove the recoil spring cap (even with a butane torch) :oops: .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Seamus I got the book in the mail today. Thanks what a great tool to have for working and clening m AL390s. Almost as important as ammo!
Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:02 am 
Utility Grade

New 3901 owner. I appreciate this post. It was invaluable in my first disassembly. I am having trouble removing the stock. I have removed the nut but the stock will not pull off. The rear plate appears to stick-it is tight in the cavity. Any suggestions? Am I missing something? Do I just need to pull harder? Thanks for any help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next