CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli M1 90 camo vs Benelli Super Black Eagle camo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm definitely new to Benelli shotguns and have been looking at a M1 90 camo 28" barrel & a Super Black Eagle camo 28" barrel (believe it is the 1st version?) .......... what's the difference between the two?

Primary use would be as a turkey gun, but I'd be shooting dove and maybe some quail too. Oh, and an occasional duck or two.

Any input is appreciated.

Post subject: re: Benelli M1 90 camo vs Benelli Super Black Eagle camo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 am 
Tournament Grade

I am a big Benelli fan so I'll just say it is a matter of personal preference.

The M1 has an alloy receiver that the barrel slides into. The SBE receiver is a little more involved.

For myself, I like the M1 for a couple of reasons.

It is lighter and I like the balance. It is a little simpler (quicker) to field strip and reassemble, for me.
Third, I have never found a need for 3 1/2" shells. 3" with Hevi-Shot works for me on ducks, geese, and lead or plated shot on turkeys. Therefore no need for 3 1/2".

James

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own the M1 Super 90. A friend of mine exposed my 13 year old son to it, much like somebody bringing a kitty home to your house and by the time you get home the kids are in love with it.
Dad has to buy the M1. It's a great shotgun. I hate to admit that anything camo and aluminum and short and ugly is a great shotgun, but it is. Now I get to borrow it and keep my walnut and blued steel preferences intact. :lol:

But it is NOT the better blaster. The Super Black Eagle is the better blaster. Because it costs more, it's the "bad boy", it's the outrageous 426 Hemi and the one I've got is the mere 440 Six Pack. So if I were somehow pinned down and forced to go buy a NEW one, I'd pick the Super Black Eagle II.

I already have dozens of nice, beautiful shotguns that shoot sensible 2 3/4 inch shells, and several of them will handle 3 inch shells. If I were on a quest for the ultimate blaster, I'd want the ulitimate blaster.

Blasters cost money. How much of a blaster do you want to buy?
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:05 pm 

Both are very good models. There are some similarties and differences between the two. The main difference is that the SBE has the 3 1/2" chamber and the M1 has the 3". The SBE has the two piece receiver that has a slight angle and the M1 has a rounded one piece. This makes the SBE slightly easier to clean and better for a scope mounted to a slung barrel. The M1 will cycle a little lighter load over the SBE. Their trigger groups are a little different but work the same with the same safety shape and location. They have the same feel as they use the same forearm, magazine tube, stock, and ribs. The SBE is just a tad longer than the M1 and the M1 is a little lighter.

For waterfowl I'd go with the SBE. For all around use from clays to upland to waterfowl I'd go with the M1.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

In practical use the M1/M2 Super 90 and the Super Black Eagle are identical guns. They share the exact same stock and forend so should feel identical with the same shims in place. They both will function with any 12ga 2 3/4in or 3in 12ga shell from a light target load (once the gun is broken in) to the heaviest 3in shell. The only difference is that the SBE can also chamber the 3 1/2in 12ga shell. Do you need that or want it badly enough to spend the extra money? If so, then get the SBE.

I've owned both and currently have an M1 Super 90 with a 26in barrel in my gun safe that's my main hunting shotgun. I enjoy shooting a little bit of skeet with it as well and I shoot it quite well. It kicks just a little bit too much to be a pure target gun though even though I shoot it just as well as my "Target" guns.

In my opinion there isn't a bird alive that will know the difference between a 2 3/4in mag 12ga shell and a 3 1/2in mag 12ga shell. I also find it quite humerous the money people spend on "Camo" guns.

If for some reason all of the guns I own were gone and I had to start from scratch one of the first to be purchased would be a Benelli M1 or M2 Super 90 in standard matte black with a 26in vent rib barrel. It's my do it all shotgun.

Post subject: Re: re: Benelli M1 90 camo vs Benelli Super Black Eagle camo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

jamese2841 wrote:
I am a big Benelli fan so I'll just say it is a matter of personal preference.

The M1 has an alloy receiver that the barrel slides into. The SBE receiver is a little more involved.

For myself, I like the M1 for a couple of reasons.

It is lighter and I like the balance. It is a little simpler (quicker) to field strip and reassemble, for me.
Third, I have never found a need for 3 1/2" shells. 3" with Hevi-Shot works for me on ducks, geese, and lead or plated shot on turkeys. Therefore no need for 3 1/2".

James

Isn't the SBE only an OZ or two more..

and also if u take the barrel off, then the entire receiver is open and wouldn't that be easier to strip? and quicker.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Crazyhair, true, only an oz. or two.
However, I prefer the disassembly and reassembly of the M1.
Just personal preference as I stated earlier.

James