CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 391 gas valve socket?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:16 am 
Tournament Grade

The sticky on how to dis-assemble the 391 has a picture of a 1/4" drive socket that replaces the factory spanner wrench. Any idea where I can buy one of these? Thanks.

Post subject: re: 391 gas valve socket?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:19 am 
Crown Grade

http://www.jassllc.us/Wonder/wondersocket.htm

FWIW

The factory spanners worked for me... I did clamp some Vise-grip pliers to the end of the factory tools. The nuts came off easily without excessive force but the Vise-grips gave me something to hold on to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anybody know where to get one of these sockets? The web site mentioned above no longer works.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wondersocket is out of business. The closest thing to it I know of is this:

See: https://colegun.com/391w-beretta-391-ga ... 044d990a8e

I just noticed Cole's web site says the wrench is made by Beretta, but I thought Cole made it, or had it made for them. It does not have a Beretta stock number. I think maybe Cole just got in the habit of having that note on every part in the 391 parts list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used a Dremel tool and made one from a 16mm socket. It's not too pretty, but it beats using a spanner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cole is very proud of the gas valve socket as well. The $25.00 asking price is high, then add the $15.00 shipping. I think for $35.00 and "no kiss" I will have to look around for another source, continue to use the Beretta spanners, or consider making one myself. I was that close to an online order untill I saw the shipping charges, just couldn't get that warm fuzzy feeling to make myself think I needed it.

TM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sorry I got my math wrong, going to fast, you'd think I was reloading on a single stage and trying to keep pace with a progressive. It's actually $40.00 and "no kiss".

TM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dam, I just ordered new gas springs and paid that shipping charge. I could have added that with no additional cost. $40.00 is way to much for that hunk pf metal.

Post subject: Re: re: 391 gas valve socket?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:25 am 
Field Grade

Tin Man wrote:
Cole is very proud of the gas valve socket as well. The $25.00 asking price is high, then add the $15.00 shipping. I think for $35.00 and "no kiss" I will have to look around for another source, continue to use the Beretta spanners, or consider making one myself. I was that close to an online order untill I saw the shipping charges, just couldn't get that warm fuzzy feeling to make myself think I needed it.

TM

Whats up with that shipping charge from Coles? I broke a connecting rod and ordered one from Coles, but almost choked on the $12 shipping charge. Does it really take 12 bucks to ship a 24 dollar item that doesn't weigh more than a slightly overloaded envelope?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Doggone it, I keep forgetting there is another source!

Dan Suggs, 410/688-1514 sportingshotgunservices@hotmail.com

He sells a socket like the wondersocket, but with a central pilot to keep the socket from slipping off the nut. AFAIK he doesn't have a web site, just call or e-mail to get a price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think Cole's shipping charge must be designed to cover handling and inventory costs, etc, not just postage.

Beretta USA is sometimes cheaper on both the parts and on S&H, and it is easy to order from them if the part you are looking for is listed on their online ordering page. Problem is, not everything is listed there, and it is hard to get someone by phone or e-mail if you want a part that is not listed.

Armeria Brignoli Silvio has a huge list of parts that you can order online, and their prices are very good, even when you add in the postage from Italy. http://www.brignoliarmi.com/catalogo.ph ... &lingua=uk A couple of notes about ordering from Brignoli: if you have not ordered by credit card from other countries in the past, you may have to call the credit card company and tell them what you plan to do. Otherwise the credit card company (not Brignoli) may reject your card, thinking it is a fraud attempt. Been there, done that. It might take a couple of weeks to get your order, plus both Brignoli and the Beretta factory shut down for about 6 weeks during the Christmas/New Year season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

http://www.timeindesign.com/samples/sap ... eretta.htm

seems to have most everything in this kit as well at $75.00 complete.

I have the original 1/4 inch drive socket type and I use this driver:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=7812621

Post subject: Re: re: 391 gas valve socket?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
I think Cole's shipping charge must be designed to cover handling and inventory costs, etc, not just postage.

For a hunk of metal, $25.00 should cover inventory carrying and handling costs. Their web site assume up to 4 pounds at that price, this item is what 3-5 oz. Sorry Seamus, I like Cole's but that charge is out of line.

I just got this email from Sporting Shotgun Services.... talk about being out of line...

I DESIGNED AND MAKE THE BEST PATENED SS GAS VALVE WRENCH SET ON THE PLANET. IT IS $95.00 TO YOUR DOOR.I ALSO SEND A SPECIAL LUBE THAT I USE ON THE GAS SYSTEM OF THE BERETTA SEMI-AUTOS.

Cole's price is beginnning to sound a bit more reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have ordered and received a number of items from Coles, including the gas valve socket. I request USPS Priority Mail; they charge me $6.00 and I get it in 2 days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dlh 711

Thanks for the tip with Cole shipping. I called and ordered a valve nut wrench today, got the $6.00 USPS delivery. That's a much better deal than the $15.00 online shipping standard flat rate. Now for $31.00 I'm a happy camper, I couldn't make one for that price. :D

TM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just did the same thing. Called and got it shipped for $6.00. That's more reasonable.

Post subject: Re: 391 gas valve socket?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I know this is any older topic, but I have another solution for those in need.

When I received my used Beretta, the factor spanner wrenches were not included. At Lowes, Pepboys (the auto-parts store) and Northern Tool they had never seen a spanner wrench on their shelves and I had a fun time describing a spanner wrench at each location. Although I had seen an adjustable spanner on Sear's website for $30, I thought there had to be another solution at hand.

I ended up buying a heavy duty, 9" long, 90degree internal snap ring plier for $8. The pins on it are 1/8" which matches the notches on the nuts, and it works fine as an adjustable face spanner. While it's not as fast as a socket, I'd say it was 60 seconds to get both nuts off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Standard American Products

http://www.standardamericanproducts.com ... unkit2.htm

Scroll down the list of components and find the socket wrench. I kinda like this one because everyone has a drill, screwdriver or something that will take the connection.

Beretta 391-390 Power Clean Kit.
Most All Brushes Can be Driven
by a Cordless or Electric Drill.

Special Design Speed Wrench $25.00
S/S Special Designed Speed Wrench to Remove the Counter
Nut and Valve Spring Assembly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

"I ended up buying a heavy duty, 9" long, 90degree internal snap ring plier for $8. The pins on it are 1/8" which matches the notches on the nuts, and it works fine as an adjustable face spanner. While it's not as fast as a socket, I'd say it was 60 seconds to get both nuts off."

The initial braking the nuts free you pin wrench. The factory tightened nuts were well tightened. However it might work well after you get them off the first time. They certainly will help with the snap ring on the fore end nut. (with smaller pins)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

The cleaning kit's bit looks pretty good, and the price isn't too bad. Thanks for the link!

As to whether it needs a pin spanner when brand-new, I can't say for sure unless I find a factory-new one to try out. I can say that a 9" wrench generates a good chunk of torque, and since this is an internal ring plier it bites down as you squeeze. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone without a factory tool, at least to try.