CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unsingle Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

What the advantage of shooting an unsingle barrel versus a top single barrel for Trap?

Post subject: re: Unsingle Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A perceived advantage of being able to see the target quicker and having a more defined sighting plane. Less wind resistance.

A disadvantage, is for people that mentally need the barrel to relate to during the shot process. Some shooters tend to need the bead and barrel close together, based on a subconsciously ingrained sight picture developed over years of shooting. If the barrel is not in close proximity to the bead, the shooter will tend to drive the gun up to get this barrel relationship. "Shooting off the barrel" is true for some people. Shooting high with an unsingle common.

Same gun in a top single or O/U will work fine.

Maltzie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:24 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Kinda wish I had mine back. Now I have a top single combo and I just don't seem to shoot it as well as I did my Unsingle. Wish I could come up with an Unsingle for my combo set.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BP...not impossible, what are you looking for? Even a keen Sight on a top single allows for the same illusion, and adjustments. I even know a smithy that can make you higher posts for your stock.

maltzie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:10 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Maltzie;

I have a 686 E combo set. It has a non adjustable Monte Carlo stock on it. It fits just like my old S682X Unsingle did, but I just don't seem to shoot it as well as I did that old Unsingle. Seems like I always have to "loose" one or two, no real explanation, just plain old lost! Maybe the Unsingle rib did let me pick the rock up quicker? I don't think I really want higher posts on my comb, though any at all would be higher than what there is now. Probably just an "eye on the rock, head on the stock" kind of thing. I'm going to try it again this year like it is and if it doesn't come arround, Ill be looking for doing something else. Get my 101s back out again, maybe quit Trap altogether? Now, if I did find a good Unsingle barrel at the right price???? You just never know!

BP

Besides, the Unsingle barrels just look like a real Trap gun! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

There is another thing that the undersingle helps on are the heat waves coming off the barrel when shooting a lot. I have wondered the same thing. I have a bt 99 I shoot well. My heck my kid has a spartan spr 100 that I shoot as good as any gun I have. I do have a skb undersingle that I sometimes have issues shooting good. A skb undersingle combo = $3400.00. A browning bt 99 = $1500.00. A remington spartan spr 100 = $240.00. Why a person shoots the cheaper cost one better. Who knows, go figure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bp...for one certainty, changing from a Beretta unsingle to top single represents a big change in balance. The Beretta un barrels had all steel high ribs, actually heavier than the O/U barrel. The 34 inch-er I had was very front heavy compared to a stanard top single and even more forward balance than a new E barrel with the bottom rib.

You may just need time to get used to the quicker handling, or add a mercury recoil barrel weight to get more forward balance. For me, a light front dynamic results in over zealous movement, or jumping at the target out of control.

Then again, you could go on the hunt for another un barrel to fit to your present frame. Good luck, they are hard to find as available barrel only. But, unsingle guns are easier to locate. At about the same price as a barrel only purchase. Its just money and y'alls from Nedambraska have plenty of it 8)

Maltzie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:39 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Maltzie;

Yup, I have a B square 8 oz barrel weight on it and I also put a Morgan pad on it. I thought maybe I wasn't getting the same mount all the time. It lengthened the pull somewhat and the first night, first lick out of the bucket I ran them from 21. I thought I had figured it out. It was an anomaly! :cry:

Seems like whether I have the 30" double or the 34" single on I just can't get them all. Got to always loose one and sometimes 2. Other than that, I love the gun. Maybe I need another barrel weight too?

I thought the Wells Fargo truck stopped at the Missouri river bridge. My Son says he sees it turn arround there all the time, it never gets across the river! :wink:

BP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BP...fresh off the stack from one of Iowa's trapshooting All American's, Dean Bright. Not only a great shooter, great guy, but very much like you and I....a Beretta shooter. Dean is a distributor for Berretta along with owning Sunset, distributing White Flyer and many other shooting related products on a wholesale basis. Actually, your NTA buys targets from Sunset Distibuting for all of their shoots.

Dean also shoots a 682 top single with a mercury weight setup about half way down the barrel to get the balance he prefers (far enough to get a lot of forward weight). I opted to trade my standard 34" top single for an "E" bottom rib model single barrel and put on my 687EELL. Getting the balance I seem to shoot well. You...neighbor, are still looking for the magic, but headed in the right direction. Loosing 1 or 2 targets a hundred (that was per 100, right?) can hardly be considered as a real problem. Getting adjusted a better discription.

That Wells Fargo truck is my wife and daughter on a shopping trip to Omadamha. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:24 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

No Maltzie, that one or two is not in a 100 rock event. It is per field. I hate those nights where we shoot a 50 rock event and I come up with a 47, 48, or a 49. If I can do that well, I ought not be loosing any, or at least not that many! :cry: Used to run 49s and 50s pretty regularly with the Unsingle. I'm going to continue with the Beretta for a while longer, if that doesn't work, I have a like new Pigeon 101 Trap and a like newer still Classic Doubles 101 Top single too. Surely I couldn't do any worse with them? :roll:

There is no end of the opportunities to spend money in Omaha. Nebraska Furniture Mart, :cry: Yonkers, :roll: Lowe's, :( Guns Unlimited, :D Scheels, :) La Solo Meio, :D Outback, :D Cheesecake Factory, :D :D Olive Garden, :D Macaroni's. :D :D I better quit, I'm making myself hungry and rekindling an urge for either more powder and shot or a new gun, and I don't need that! :wink:

Opps, I'm getting off topic again, sorry!

BP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BP...FYI

Beretta 682 Unsingle barrel only
Most Recent Posts First

Poster By Posted Date/Time
Old One Eye 08-Mar-07 - 06:48 PM CT
Old One Eye 09-Mar-07 - 07:19 AM CT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: WTS Beretta 682 Unsingle barrel only
Email: jwalter8@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu, Mar 08, 2007 - 06:48 PM CT
Website Address:

This barrel is like new 32 inch fixed full choke. Will fit 680,686,682,687 receiver has the step in rib hard to find unsingle barrels. This one is in perfect original unaltered condition price is 695.00

Reply to the Forum Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: WTS Beretta 682 Unsingle barrel only
Email:
Date: Fri, Mar 09, 2007 - 07:19 AM CT
Website Address:

ttt

Reply to the Forum Thread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:25 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Hmmm!

I'll have to take a peek!