CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I shoot 2 3/4 shells in a barrel that is for 3 inch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:28 pm 
Field Grade

Just bought a new gun, Khan 12 Ga. O/U, and it says that it is for 3 inch shells......every gun I've owned before said it was for either 2 3/4 and 3 inch......can I shoot 2 3/4 inch in this gun?

Post subject: Re: Can I shoot 2 3/4 shells in a barrel that is for 3 inch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Yep you sure can!

Dale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:35 pm 
Field Grade

Should be no problem :wink:

Augie...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In shotguns, you can always shoot shorter shells of the same gauge in the gun, but it may be dangerous to try to shoot longer shells than what's marked on the barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:10 pm 
Thanks for the replies......the manual that came with the gun is very poorly done (guess it's because the gun is from Turkey) but it does clearly say that you should only use shells that are the same chamber as the gun.
I knew that using 3 1/2 was not doable but questioned the use of the 2 3/4. Also if you look at the specs of different models of guns some offer barrels that are listed for just 3 inch and others that are for both 2 3/4 and 3 inch. That too leads me to question if I can and/or should use the 2 3/4 in my gun when the barrel only says 3 inch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:44 am 
Crown Grade

As stated above...

2 3/4 is fine in a 3 inch chamber...

As are 2 1/2 inch shells...And 2 9/16 inch shells, etc...

Just do not chamber and fire a shell longer than 3 inches as pressures may spike rather quickly and higher than the gun can take...

I shoot 2 3/4 all day in my 3 inch chambered guns...Cheaper, don'cha know...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:15 am 
Again......thanks folks......felt kind of stupid asking the question since I've been shooting shotguns/hunting for about 40 years but when I bought this new gun it's the first time I've read in a manual (actually may be the first time I've read a gun manual.....it's a guy thing....we don't read instructions) that you should only use shells that match the barrel's chamber.

Salmoneye.....it's exactly the price difference that forced me to seek out an answer in this forum.....the 3 inch is just too expensive for just some trap/clay shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:12 pm 
Field Grade

Bill,

The only stupid question is the one we don't ask :)

Better safe than sorry :wink:

Augie...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

3 inch chambers shoot 2 3/4 inch shells and 3 inch shells, just NOTHING BIGGER than 3 inches

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:18 am 
Field Grade

Yet another issue I was faced with too. Before I shot my first SG I consulted with an experienced shooter regarding this same barrel labeling / misunderstanding.

I had just taken the Hunt Ed Course and picked up my first SG. I was eager to shoot it at the LIVE FIRE the following week and after receiving instructions on what SHOT SIZE to buy I went the store and noticed that all 9, 8, and 7 1/2 sizes only came in 2 3/4" sizes... Ugh I thought. My barrel said USE 3" SIZE. I went ahead and bought the 2 3/4" size shot due to the fact that in my search for my first SG I had read many many gun specs and all had labeled their SGs as 2 3/4" AND 3".

Before I took my first shot I consulted w/ the PRO at the range who reassured me that as a general rule the label is for MAX SHELL SIZE and that 2 3/4" would be fine.

My manual states that the barrel label should read 2 3/4" AND 3" SIZE for my FIELD model. This would be to distinguish it from the SPORT model of the same name that takes ONLY 2 3/4" SIZE.

Something tells me this type of labeling is probably introducing an industry standard listing MAX SIZE on certain makes...

Benelli Nova Timber HD Pump
Kimber Custom II Stainless ACP