CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eagle Brand Shot . . sizing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought a bag of Eagle brand shot size 7.5 ($23.50). It doesn't seem as hard as West Coast or Diamond and its sizing is closer to 8 than 7.5
Anyone else's experience with Eagle shot? I suppose I got what I paid for - - considering West Coast is $28.50/bag.

Post subject: re: Eagle Brand Shot . . sizing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

the word is that all shot made in south america is about a size smaller on the bag. i notice it quite often with eagle. those #9 seem real small, sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Bust'em...PM not working... Thanks for the offer, but already went with the $$$ primers. :cry: However...the CB is still on for making the offer :lol: ...Toni Ann Sat night?

Best to all,
Bel_dad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:24 pm 
Limited Edition

I miked a few pellets from the Eagle bag and a few from a West Coast bag, West coast much truer to size. I'll quit being cheap and buy the West Coast or Daimond shot. I should have suspected something or at least asked Tim why there was only size 7 and 7.5 in stock of the Eagle brand. Eagle doesn't seem as hard as West Coast.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm new to this but I believe that Eagle is chilled shot and West Coast is mag shot. Correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=84842

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:53 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I have used a great deal if Eagle brand shot. It's very true that their #8's are predominately a strong #8-1/2 in size, which is ok by me as that's my preference for Skeet anyway.

As for hardness, well they are plenty hard for the Clay Target games. That's never been a problem with Eagle shot, and I would just as soon have it as any other shot available. Usually the price is pretty good also, as compared to other brands.

DLM

Post subject: Re: re: Eagle Brand Shot . . sizing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

jcgoldner wrote:
I'm new to this but I believe that Eagle is chilled shot and West Coast is mag shot. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well, the real trouble is we have no way of knowing the actual antimony content of any shot because it is not stated on packaging and there are no standards in the industry for labeling or minimum hardness or anything else. A company can call shot chilled, hard or magnum and put whatever antimony they want in there, even zero, and there is nothing we can do about it or even find out unless you are a metallurgist and/or have some reliable way to test it yourself.

In any event, based on DLM's experience, I would take all the Eagle shot I could get since it seems to be cheaper than US brands . If Dave says its OK, I'm convinced. Unfortunately, none of the vendors around here ever heard of Eagle. We are lucky if Sportsmans Warehouse has any shot in stock, they carry only West Coast Magnum. Every time I have been in there over the past 6 months, they are out of 9s, 8.5s and 8s. Wacky inventory control.

Bill Wood
NRA Endowment Life Member
NSSA/NSCA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

William R Wood,
i remember reading an article (perhaps shotgun sports mag)
can't remember the exact magazine for sure now,
where they did test different brands of shot for antimony content,
west coast shot came out with the highest, real close to a true 6%.

Post subject: Re: re: Eagle Brand Shot . . sizing
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:45 am 
Presentation Grade

UltraMag wrote:
William R Wood,
i remember reading an article (perhaps shotgun sports mag)
can't remember the exact magazine for sure now,
where they did test different brands of shot for antimony content,
west coast shot came out with the highest, real close to a true 6%.

Ultra,

Interesting, do you remember if they said how they tested for antimony? I saw a magazine article, maybe Skeet Shooting Review, a few months back that said shot makers change the antimony content without notice to the public so apparently we can't rely on past tests.

This whole shot situation sucks. I hope somebody comes along with a solution so we can get decent shot at reasonable prices. I am going through a bag of shot a week shooting skeet so current high prices are pretty shocking. Luckily I have 100+ bags of West Coast Mag I bought at $17.75 last year but that is only 2 years worth at most. I am down to 24gm loads in 12ga but I am going to switch to 410 for practice as soon as I can afford tubes to cut down on shot even more.

Bill Wood
NSSA/NSCA Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

W Wood,
it sure would be nice if you coud find a source of reclaimed for
skeet practice, west coast magnum is really overkill for skeet,
competition, perhaps..
and the west coast would certainly be a bonus in the .410, that tend to distort pellets a lot.
But you certainly don't need it for your run of the mill skeet shooting,it'd be nice if you could obtain a cheaper (lesser quality) form of shot, then the WC shot you currently have would probably last you the rest of your shootin career.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Ultra,

Yes you are exactly right. I hate using the West Coast shot for practice but cannot find any reclaimed or other cheap shot around here so far. Wish somebody would sell Eagle out here in the desert. :)

Bill Wood
NSSA/NSCA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I think Shotgun Sports and Sporting Clays magazines have both discussed the "hardness" of shot in recent years. You guys got it right in your posts about there being no parameters of hardness, antimony % changes, etc. I'll bet I saved some of those magazine articles . . if I could only find things in this basement mess . . .

I shot reclaimed shot in ATA competition for years when I was a poor college student. I even "mined" my own with a screen, shovel, and 5 gallon bucket during my poverty. Hardness doesn't mean too much in our games. Now for those Annie Oakleys from the 35 yard line . . . Well, I like magnum shot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:17 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Eagle shot uses the Intl' sizes, which are smaller than our sizes. In Skeet, you get more BB's. Most shot will have tolerances of one size up or down, so everything works out.

When Eagle was available in my area, I preferred it. Now, post price gouge, Lawrence is what is available in middle Tennessee.