CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REMINGTON 20 GA. 18" RIFLED SLUG GUN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:05 am 
Field Grade

Does anyone have any experiance with Remington's 870 Express 20 GA. 18" rifled barrel slug gun?It seems like it might be a light,compact shotgun to lug around the woods with.

Post subject: re: REMINGTON 20 GA. 18" RIFLED SLUG GUN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:25 am 
Diamond Grade

I purchased one a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it.

It's light, accurate and fun to shoot. I replaced the factory pad with an r3 recoil pad (limbsaver recoil pad) and it is like shooting a rifle more than a slug gun.
The 18 in barrel is easy to maneuver in the woods and on stand.

My particular gun groups the best with remington copper solids and I have shot quarter sized groups @ 50 yards and 2-3 inch groups @ 100 yards (from a bench rest).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 am 
Field Grade

jjas,sir,thankyou for your opinion,I don;t know why there not more popular.

Post subject: Re: re: REMINGTON 20 GA. 18" RIFLED SLUG GUN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:05 am 
Crown Grade

BASIC wrote:
jjas,sir,thankyou for your opinion,I don;t know why there not more popular.

1). Because it built on the 870 platform which is not considered to be especially accurate.

2). Most people don't own 20 ga's, and those that do also have 12ga's which in their minds is a better gauge for shooting slugs.

3). Until recently most factory 20 gauge slug ammo featured poor ballistics and only produced margin results on whitetail sized game.

JC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:17 am 
Diamond Grade

Basic,

JC makes some valid points, but I do think that there are a
couple more than can be made.

I have killed quite a few whitetails with a slug gun over the years and have never shot one farther than 60 yards. Most deer are killed in the woods @ less than 75 yards. The accuracy I get from my 870 is more than adequate for my style of hunting.

An A-bolt, savage, tarhunt, TC encore and the USH will be more accurate @ longer ranges due to the fact the barrels are fixed to/or lock up to the receivers in all these designs. The A-bolts are getting harder to find and are pretty expensive, the savages are still available but I've read a lot of people have feeding problems with them (I'm sure some savage owners can answer this question), the tarhunts are expensive as are the TC encores. The USH is very heavy to lug around the woods but lots of guys swear by their accuracy.

I wanted a repeater and purchased my 870 for 200.00 used. I put a Zeiss conquest scope w/leupold rings on it and it makes a very effective slug gun at the ranges I typically encounter.

The 20 gauge slugs I've used have killed deer just as dead as the twelve gauges I've used in the past. Shot placement is still the key and the lesser recoil of the typical 20 gauge vs 12 gauge slug allows me to be a better shot in the field.

Good luck with your selection and enjoy your new slug gun.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:33 pm 
Crown Grade

JJas,

I have had my Savage for years and I have never had ejection problems with mine....

For those that are having problems I strongly suspect that most of the problems result from either a.)using the wrong type of scope mounts, results in the shells not ejecting or b.) using the right mounts but never realizing that like many rifles the action ejects shells best when it is cycled at a particular rate.

The simple reality is once you put a scope over an ejection port of slug gun you greatly reduce the odds of the oversized slug shells ejecting cleanly. In the case of the Savage most folks just don't realize that they have setup the guns in a manner that blocks the ejection ports!...I am willing to bet that if you ask anyone that has complained about the Savage how the gun ejected before they mounted their scope setup they would say great! (Anyone that doesn't should simply contact Savage and they will repair the problem for free).

JC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

JC,

Thanks for the heads up on the savage cycling problems (or lack thereof). I always wondered if that's what it was, but I don't own one of the savages.

Do you have any experience with the TC encore slug guns?

Many articles I've read say they are exceptionally accurate.

Just wondering.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:27 pm 
Crown Grade

JJAS,

Hopefully this picture will give you some additional insight into the issue discussed above and how I have setup my mounts and rings accordingly.

As you can see even with this setup there is not alot of room to eject a spent 12 ga shell. This makes it especially important to learn how to cycle the action in a manner that ejects the shells in a repeatable fashion. Once the shooter finds the ejectors "sweet spot" the action works flawlessly. (It should be obvious how anyone that racks this bolt too forcefully would immediately cause the gun to jam... That would cause the shell to attempt to eject straight up into the scope. Then of course it would fall right back into the action. I suspect that this is exactly what is happening to many of the shooters that have complained about the Savage...Add to that the fact that many shooters may have the scope setup in a less ejection friendly manner and you can see where they would cause themselves a lot of unneeded issues.)

As far as your question on T/C's no I have not shot one. However, my friend does own one. Yes, they are very accurate. They feature quality barrels and relatively fast rates of twist.

JC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:27 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the response.Not evryone is intierested in extreme range acuracy,for a good amount of slug hunters 75 yds. or less is the norm.I still think the 870 20 GA.loaded with a Hasting/Dixie/Lightfield/Buckhammer slug would be a great choice for many hunters,especially in northern NJ.,but I also think buckshot is a viable choice for deer hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:41 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
northern NJ.....I also think buckshot is a viable choice for deer hunting.

I know lots of guys that love their 10ga's and buckshot for NJ...

JC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:23 am 
Field Grade

I finally saw one,what a nice little shotgun.As jjas said it does need a new recoil pad,I also think the cantileiver is a little high but other than that,it's lite comes up quick and I think might be the best choice(at least for me)slug gun for avarage range.I don't know why 20 gauge isn't more popular in slug guns?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Basic,

Like I said before, I love that little 20 gauge. It's light, easy to shoot, accurate @ most woods ranges and fairly inexpensive.

I think most people think of a twelve gauge first because of the amount of ammo available for it. It used to be a 20 gauge didn't offer enough oomph to satisfy most people.

Today you have really good choices in 20 gauge ammo. Lightfield, Hastings, Brenneke, Remington Buckhammers, Remington Copper solids, Remington Corelokt, Hornady, Winchester partition gold and platinum tips, Fusion has a new 20 gauge load this year, Federals barnes expanders. All of these loads carry enough energy @ 100 yards to cleanly kill a deer (with less recoil than a 12 gauge). Some of these loads will cleanly kill deer @ much farther ranges 125-150 + yards.

If you can, shoot a buddies 20 gauge and see what you think. I love mine and would never think about going back to a 12 gauge again.

Good luck with your choice and good shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Basic,

I failed to include Dixie slugs 20 gauge loads as well. Sorry James. Dixie has a new load for 20 gauge coming out this year that I'm looking forward to trying in my remington 870. Should be sweet.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:25 pm 
Site Sponsor

Did someone ring Ole" Dixie's bell? In fact we have two loads that will be out before hunting season......The Tracker 20 (1200'/") and the Stryker 20 (1400'/") - both with a full bore .625"-500 gr hard cast heat treated bullet. By the way, those velocity numbers are from the NEF barrel.
Todd Corder/John Linebaugh tested the 1200'/" in the Bone Box and posted the results on our forum......made the 50 Linbaugh look bad. The Tracker 20 is designed around the ulta light NEF Tracker. The Tracker load duplictes the original 45-70-500 gr military load....not bad!
I well know that this forum is most sabot shooters trying to extend their hunting range......but there is another world out there that wants a Brush Gun (100 yards and under-combined with a light handy gun).
As for the Remington 870 that has been said not acccurate.....a little epoxy gel and powdered steel on the barrel extension cures that problem....to clean out the action by removing the trigger group and use brake cleaner.....simple
The 20 bore (.625 cal) is new to the field, but for a fast/light walking gun......it has a lot to offer.
Regards, James

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey James,
I sure wish you would make those 20 ga. slugs available for us hand loaders. :?
I know Dixie Slugs loads some awesome slugs, but there is just some thing about rolling your own.
I really would like to try some in my hand loads!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 pm 
Field Grade

Didn't the British have a "Stalking Gun"?I'm really impressed with the shotgun,what a great combo with Dixie/Hastings/Buckhammer/Lightfield slugs.A Leupold 1-4 scope would work well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:14 am 
Site Sponsor

There are some reasons that Dixie seldon sells owr slugs as components. We are just not set up to handle separate component business as such. There are times that our molders get ahead of production.....and we have have a few loaders that have been on our list since we stated making ammo.
When we do have a molders overun......they are the same hard cast heat treated......lubed with Alox that go into our ammo. They are somewhat expensive due to the mold time, heat treating (one hour at 450 and cold water quenched), lubed......plus the amount of alloy.
Tests after tests, have shown how they perform on stress testing and game. It's no real secret.......hard cast alloy vs softer swaged lead.
There is no way the big companies, with today's labor cost, could cast their slugs, add two levels of profit (distrbutor and dealer profits), and end up on the market with a price the customer would stand for.
Only small companies like Dixie, selling direct to the customer, can survive in the specialized ammo game.....pure and simple.
Dixie's growth in the last 36 months (the start up time) has about run away from us. By mid Summer, we will post our new pricing, that will include shipping! This will make it even easier for the customer to order. There will be not basic increase in pricing on the ammo and the total price will only include what the average shipping has been for the last months.
Back to components.....if we reach a point that component business will be where we could add molders, I will look at the situation again. In the past we have charged $0.50/$0.60 per slug on 12 gauge.....ready to load. The 20's would be around $0.40/$0.50 each......plus postal shipping. That might be high (I don't know?), but you get what you pay for.
Regards, James

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:42 am 
Limited Edition

Hey James,
When ever you are ready to sell components, let me know.