CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning BPS?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hello guys,

I am on the market for a new shotgun, and I have been looking at new pumps as I already own two auto-loaders and would like an ol' reliable pump (and they are cheaper than a quality O/U :lol:). I like the BPS far better than any of the other guns I have been looking at (Nova, Supernova, 870 Express, Wingmaster). I was wondering if the BPS has a chrome lined barrel? By the way, Im think of getting it in 20 gauge (weight reduction from the 12 gauge) and I dont own a 20 gauge yet. The gun will most likely be used for upland hunting (grouse, woodcock, etc.) and for introducing the girlfriend to shooting.

Thanks alot.

Post subject: re: Browning BPS?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I can't answer your only question regarding chrome lined barrels. I CAN say that I love both my 20 and 28ga BPS. They are a little heavier than other pumps, but I'm impressed with the quality of wood and finish. Very smooth right out of the box too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:05 pm 
Crown Grade

The BPS are nice shotguns..Would be good for the hunting you spoke of.May I suggest you give some thought to getting the BPS in 28 gauge.Good upland gauge and a great gauge for your girlfriend to lean to shoot with.I own a BPS in 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I personally would not opt for a 28 ga. shotgun over a 20 ga. unless the 28 was significantly lighter in weight and had a correspondingly reduced in size frame/receiver. The BPS 28 weighs only one (1) ounce less than the 20 variant and I believe the two share the same frame (if not, somebody please advise). Because the BPS 20 offers a wider range of shot payload options, is essentially the same size and weight as the 28 ga. and costs the same, I see no good reason to pick the 28 over it (one could argue, I suppose, that the 28 can be fed with reduced loads that produces a lighter recoil than a comparative 20). Finally, the 20 is available with a greater variety of loads and is more widely distributed.

I have nothing against the 28; I just don't see any advantages to it unless, as previously noted, it is significantly lighter in weight and smaller in size. In these areas, the BPS 28 isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:31 pm 
Utility Grade

I own a BPS 12 gauge 3 inch with engraved receiver,26 inch invector barrel. It has nice wood and checkering, but is heavy and bulky. My son uses it and loves it, as the weight does not bother him. I've not handled the 20 gauge, but if I could find an engraved one I might pick it up. That big receiver looks awfully bare without engraving. Buc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:46 pm 
Field Grade

My 20 ga BPS upland is a great little shooter, handles quick and has nice fit and finish. It does however seem a bit heavier than my Franchi 48AL in 12ga.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:27 am 
Limited Edition

Fellow Canadian gun nut here! The BPS is a great gun. I' ve got a Grade III in 12ga and its a great shooting gun. The high post ribs on those guns really suit me well. Although, the heavy weight of the 12 does make it tiresome to carry around after a while. To solve that I ordered one of the special-run 16ga BPS's Browning just released, but I won't see that one til Aug-Sept. It's a 16 built on the 20 frame. Only weighs 2oz more than the 20! That will be a great little shooter. But to answer your question, a nice 20ga would be perfect. Although, a nice little 28 would be perfect too! I know a bunch of guys who shoot BPS's and they all love 'em. Excellent gun. All you have to do is decide on a guage!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Hello guys,

Thanks alot for all of your replys. Sorry it took me so long to respond (girlfriends family came over for the weekend :shock: ).

buckmark525:
Quote:
To solve that I ordered one of the special-run 16ga BPS's Browning just released, but I won't see that one til Aug-Sept. It's a 16 built on the 20 frame. Only weighs 2oz more than the 20! That will be a great little shooter.

I was really interested in it as well, but was concerned about the availabilty of shells :? . What is your opinion on the availability (and cost) of 16 gauge shells? I would love the 16 gauge :D.

Buc:
Quote:
I've not handled the 20 gauge, but if I could find an engraved one I might pick it up. That big receiver looks awfully bare without engraving.

I agree, but I was actually looking for a less expensive (but reliable) alternative to my Benelli, and Beretta, for the "rougher" trips up north, where there is great potential for the guns to be damaged.

I have never shot a 28 gauge before, and I imagine they are pretty sweet little guns, but I wanted a less expensive gun that could serve multiple purposes, not limited to upland birds. Not to say the 28 gauge doesn't serve many :D, just not sure it would serve me as well.

Nobody know if the barrels are chrome lined? I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I kind of like knowing they are (a little extra protection).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Dealers had only until the end of Feb. to order the special run 16's, so you might have trouble getting your name on one now. But as for ammo, Remington and Winchester make a few 16ga loads that I've been able to find in shops. And the price was right around the same as 12ga stuff. Regardless of gauge, you'll like the BPS if you get one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Fellow canadian comes through again :D . Thanks buckmark525, although it's not quite the news I want to hear :cry:, I was really interested in the "happy medium". Looks like it will be the 20 gauge (the 12 is just too heavy). I would still like to know if the barrel comes chrome lined though :? .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:39 pm 
Limited Edition

All hope may not be lost! If you really are interested in the 16ga BPS, I know a few dealers ordered a couple to put into stock. The dealer I bought mine from ordered 3 ( Hunter 26" Hunter 28", Upland Special ). I put a deposit on the Hunter 26", and I'm not sure if the other 2 are spoken for yet. If you want more info, reply and I'll give you the dealer name. Just remember, Browning says not to expect these delivered until Aug-Sept, so if you want one to use in the meantime, the 20ga may be your only choice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks buckmark525.

I went to a local gun shop and discussed the idea of purchasing the BPS 16 gauge (which they didn't have) and they suggested that I should stick to the 20 gauge even though they themselves preferred the 16. There reasons for avoiding the 16 gauge were: availability of shells (or lack of), and price. Though they had nothing but good things to say about the BPS itself. I guess Im going to have to think this over some more :? .

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:12 am 
Crown Grade

So many guns and so little money. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:16 am 
Presentation Grade

28 gauge,

You got that right! I could name probably a half a dozen guns that I would like to buy right now but the funds just won't allow it. The thing is...... I have reasons to justify them all as well. It's a crazy thing eh :shock: ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooter_01,money ,or the lack of it ,sure can cause trouble in the shotgun buying department. :) One shotgun I would love to have is a Winchester Model 21 in 28 gauge.Not likely I will ever have one but one can dream of winning the lotto. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

28 gauge,

Right now, I would love to have a:
1) Beretta 391 Urika 20 gauge (28" barrel)
2) Beretta Siver Pigeon II 12 gauge (28'' barrel)
3) Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge (28"barrel)
4) Benelli Supersport or Sport II 12 gauge (28" barrel)
5) A Caesar Guerini (Maxum, Essex, Magnus) 12 gauge (28'' barrel)
6) Browning BPS 20 gauge (28" barrel)

This may take me a while :shock: !!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooter_01,yes it could take you awhile to get them all.The problem is that before you get them all you will find more to add to the list. :) Always good to have a goal though. :)

You seem to be fond of the Beretta and Benelli shotguns by the looks of your want list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Yep, definately easier to find 20ga stuff. I most likely will keep my BPS 16 tucked away in the box for awhile, and use my other peashooters instead. Good luck with whichever gun you choose. And I hope its a Browning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:01 am 
Presentation Grade

Hello,

buckmark525: If I do end up getting the BPS, Im pretty sure that I will get it in 20 gauge. By the way, are there many limitations with the 20 gauge? It will generally be used for Grouse, Woodcock, and pheasants, but how would it fair against maybe ducks or turkey?

28 gauge:
Quote:
The problem is that before you get them all you will find more to add to the list.
That's exactly right. I could probably add a couple more guns to the list by the end of the week :lol: . Yeah, I am pretty fond of Beretta's and Benelli's. I already have a Teknys Gold Field 12 gauge (28" barrel) and a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge (28" barrel) but wouldnt complain to have a couple more. I see your a 28 gauge fan, whats your reason? Are Winchesters "your brand" or do you just like the Model 21? That is one nice looking sxs. What are they worth?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm sure there are some limitations, depending on what type of shooting you're doing. Grouse, Woodcock, and Pheasants with a 20ga are no problem (I've easily taken fast flying pheasants with my Beretta 391 20ga). Ducks, if shooting over decoys should be no problem, providing you use a good steel load. I wouldn't try reaching out for high ducks or big geese with a little 20 though. As for target, 20's are great for skeet, can be used for sporting clays, and I know a guy who smokes the trap range using a 20ga 525 Sporting. So, I guess the only limitation is the ability of the shooter.