CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Semi Auto Slug Gun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:45 am 
Utility Grade

I am seeking the experience of this board to help decide which semi auto shotgun to purchase. I hunt on an a semi private lease that only allows shotgun slug hunting or muzzle loading.
I have been looking at everything from a Beretta ES100 with pinned barrel to Mossberg 930 slugger with cant mt. I am a person that is not proud, I am not ashamed to shoot a reasonably priced shotgun or an expensive one, the main issue here is performance. I have decided on 12GA. and my shots could be anywhere from 25yds. to 200. I understand that this is subjective, every manufacturer has the best mouse trap. Any experience with a semi that groups will be appreciated.

Derek

Post subject: re: Best Semi Auto Slug Gun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:49 am 
Tournament Grade

The 25 yard shot will not be a problem but a 200 yard shot is a long poke for most slug guns, especially a semi-auto IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I didn't mean to imply that the gun needed to light matches at 200, just the best all around performer using a rifled barrel. I hope there are others like me that can't help but to experiment to find the best product for the price. Who uses a semi for slugs and what can it do? I see Browning has the 1-28 twist, so does Benelli. Is that the twis to look for? Anyone with experience please share the love.

Derek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

i have had good/ great luck with 2 remington 1187 slug guns

if i do it over again i would do a fully rifled barrel on one of them

they are both 125yrd guns at best

smooth bore cantilever barrels with 2-5 and 2-9 scopes

but get out and shoot it a lot to know what it does

i also pinned the barrel on one (put a set screw thru the reciever to the barrel to make it 110% rock solid as i coule get it

jamie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I have friends that have both the 1100 and 11-87 remingtons and they shoot just fine when you find the right ammo.

That being said if I was concerned about price I would get the Browning Gold rifled deer hunter. It comes with a thick walled 22 inch fully rifled barrel with a 1:28 twist, compared to most others that have a 1:30 something twist.

You can get it in camo, black or pretty wood.

A little bit pricey at a suggested retail of $1,000-$1,300 though.

You could get a good pump or bolt gun for at least half of that. Or an H&R for much less. I would go with a 20 ga though to be honest.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Beretta ES-100 (Pintail) that I am very happy with. The Scope is mounted directly on the barrel (actually top of the reciever). I would not be afraid to buy another!