CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eclipse Beaver, Belgian made Dbl Barrel - HELP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I came across a beautiful old, Belgian-made double barrel 12 gauge(?) today and can't find any info on it here or elsewhere on the web. It is a double hammer, 32 inch barrel, Made by the Eclipse Co. with the name "Eclipse Beaver" on one barrel and "Belgian Twist" on the other . On the underside of the barrel are numerous proof markings, including AG and 168. Any guess as to the year and worth. (It's definately not a shooter in its present condition). Thanks in advance. Rick

Post subject: Re: Eclipse Beaver, Belgian made Dbl Barrel - HELP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:01 pm 
Crown Grade

The Eclipse Gun Company was a trade name imported by E.C. Meacham and by The W.C. George company and made by Anciens Etablissments Pieper who was a Belgium gun maker c. 1905 - 1957. but I also found references to the Eclipse name being used in 1890 or so , possibly by H Pieper.

With yours having hammers and being twist I'd definately put it at the early part of production , also I'd check to see if it's nitro proofed... ( E over LG) but that's doubtful...

Definately would be a nice wall hanger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:12 pm 
Utility Grade

As I recall, there is an E over LG (the gun is now at home, so I'll have to verify). What does nitro proofed mean? Does this increase the collector value?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

I PMed you a bunch of info....

Post subject: re: Eclipse Beaver, Belgian made Dbl Barrel - HELP
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:02 am 
Utility Grade

I have a matching set of these guns. One was my Great Uncles and the other one was my Granfathers.

I will get more info and post it. Both are hammer guns and one is twist and one is fluid steel.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I just recieved one of these guns from my grandfather. I noticed that board seemed to know a good bit about these guns. could someone please let me know somemore information about the guns, their value, the year, and anything else?
Thanks so much for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Twist steel guns are virtually worthless... they are usually unsafe to shoot with even the lightest loads. The problem is that they used corrosive primers back then, and rust would develop in between the layers of steel in the barrel... making them very weak.

Unless it's something a collector would be interested in (and the example given isn't one), it's best relegated to wallhanger status...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the help. I just know this gun sounds exactly like the one described earlier. it has the E over LG on both barrels and one is a modified the other is a full. i would just like to know about how old the gun is and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I as well have an 2clipse gun co dbl barrel shotgun. Mine is not the beaver though. If it is similar it is from around the 1880 - 1900 time frame. From what I have gathered. Eclipse was one of many gun makers from around this time. The guns are not safe to shoot nowdays though and unfortunately value is very little. They are great pieces of history just so many out there. Mine was handed down bfrom my father to me from his father and so forth. The reason the are unsafe is the if yours like mine is the twist barrel they were made by wrapping wire around a cylinder and beating it into the barrel. They were fine for light loads back then. On the under side of the barrel you may notice a proof of elg* inside an oval which may or may not have a crown on top. This is the belgian proof from most of the 19th century. The crown is either a representation of blackpowder or their superior quality pieces. Does yours have the engraving and whit pin inserts in the furniture? Would love to see some pics. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Good afternoon all. True Guns with some form of the name Eclipse were Belgian made with two exceptions (more about that in a moment). Place the name or word ECLIPSE in front of the following and you have the name of the gun. These guns would have been made between 1880 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Belgium. The names are:
Beauty, Company or Eclipse Co., Patent 488316 Dec 20 1892 3Clipse Metor, Giant, Giant,Gun Co, GunCo, Leader Twist Finish Belgium, Hercules, Meteor and Star. All these guns were made by the Belgian maker Aciens Establissment Pieper (also known as Henri Pieper).
The one exception to these names is Eclipse Hercules (almost). That name was used on guns made by Hopkins & Allen and the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co as well as some made by Pieper. I did not have the name Eclipse Beaver listed in my references, I do now.