CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 ga. Shells at Walmart
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I'd always heard that one of the down sides of the 16 ga. is that shells are scarce and expensive, can't get them at Walmart.
Our local Wallyworld has Winchester 16 ga. at $4.47 for #8, and $7+something for #6 hunting loads. Guess you never know for sure. I'd have lost a bet on that one.

Post subject: Re: 16 ga. Shells at Walmart
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

That point has been raised on this forum many times(that 16ga. ammo is hard to find and expensive), and myself and others have raised our voices to the contrary. Thanks for helping our case. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:27 pm 
Sixteen gauge shells are easy to find here. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Dick's, Ganders Mountain, and all the independent gun shops have them. The difference in price is minimal, if any. I've lived in the East, Midwest, and West Coast, and have never had any problem finding 16 gauge shells. This might be true of some "mom and pop" grocery/hardware stores out in the boonies, but for the most part I've never had a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I would have to guess that cost and availability of 16 ga ammo must be on a regional basis. I have not had any trouble finding ammo in any Wal-mart, K-mart, or other major chain nor was the price any different than the 12 and 20 ga loads. This has been in MN, ND, SD, WI, MI, IA, NE, AZ, TX, MT, ME, IL, MO, and KS. The selection was often limited but there were loads that would work for my purposes. The sporting shops often had higher prices for 16 ga (within $2) but they seemed to have the exact load I was looking for. I have rarely, but on occasion, also found the least expensive 16 ga loads at these shops as they were trying to liquidate them. I usually bring more than enough ammo for my purposes but always check out the sorting goods section of the stores of the area I'm hunting. One never knows what can be found and sometimes great deals can be found. The only place I had any concern with finding 16 ga shells was in Alaska and I bought a flat at my local K-Mart and had them shipped to Anchorage. There were some 1 oz game loads already in stock which would have worked fine for ptarmigan but I felt better knowing they were waiting for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:52 am 
Dick's Sporting Goods has 16 gauge Remington Field loads (black hull) in 6s and 8s for $3.67. These are better buys than the Winchester if you reload because the Remington Black is easily the most reloadable 16 gauge hull available. I generally get 5 to 6 reloads out of them before the folds split. The mouths are not skivved as are the STS and they are somewhat stiff to get the wad to enter but do they ever make great reloads. Further, the ones I've cut open were found to be one-piece construction, not the two or three piece Winchester type. The old Winchester CF (compression formed) hull was the equivalent of the Remington Black but no longer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:56 pm 
If you're looking for 16 ga shells go to www.ballisticproducts.com They have everything from lead and bismuth to that tunsten matrix stuff. Sizes 5 to 9 (yes I said 9). They even have 2 1/2" and black powder loads.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I have no problem finding 16 ga shells here in Kansas. Price is the same as 12 and 20. My problem with the 16 is reloading components such as decent hulls and wads. I would like to ask the guest what recipe he's using. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:10 pm 
Utility Grade

16 ga. reloading supplys can be ordered from ballistic products they have hulls,a few different wads including active and remmington they also have a good 16 gauge reloading manual.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When you find "promotional" shells real cheap at a place like Dick's or xMart, be careful. Some of them come in a box of 20, not 25, and if you don't realize that you may be paying more for them than you think you are.

Been there, done that!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

The Walmart here not only carries 16 ga but they also stock 28 ga. granted it's only one loading but it's a start.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MarlandS wrote:
The Walmart here not only carries 16 ga but they also stock 28 ga. granted it's only one loading but it's a start.

Last time I asked my WallyWorld gun guy for 28 gauge, he said "There ain't no such thing..."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:40 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

'nother Wal-Mart ex-purt in the gun department! The attitude I see exuding from all areas of Wal-Mart is: If we don't have it, you don't need it! I did buy 5 boxes of 16 ga heavy field load 7 1/2s the other night for $3.65 a box. Got all they had! :cry:

BP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gotta tell ya this one....

The Wal-Mart in my hometown had a lady over the sporting goods section who was the wife of a state trooper, a great clay shooter, excellent markswoman, and avid hunter and fisherman... fisherwoman....

Anyway, this WM was "famous" around those parts for the help and selection for hunting and fishing. There were no sporting goods stores in the area (closest was 25 miles away), so a lot of folks went to WM.

Then, a new manager took over the store and decided this lady would be better if she was in the photo lab and put a guy in the SG dept. Well, this guy was a baseball and basketball nut, but didn't own a gun or a fishing pole. The next fall, WM couldn't figure out why sales in the sporting goods dept dropped 70%........ DUH!!

I spend most of my money on women, booze, and guns.... The rest I blow on unimportant things....

"They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun." -- Roy Rogers