CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Reloading' 3.5 inch 63 gram load cartridges
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello Folks,

I have just purchased some #3 and #2 buck lead shot from Lock Stock and Barrell (Nebraska). I cannot get this type of shot size in my neck of the woods in any cartridge size. I can purchase 3.5 inch 63 gram load (described as Extra Magnum). I simply hope to swap the No. 1 shot that the cartridges contain when purchased with 63 grams of the 3 or 4 buck.
Is this a straight forward and safe thing to do?
I am unable to have a lab or proof house test cartridges for me. I would imagine that I will have to crimp the ends of the cartridge instead of fold (as they are before I open them) them as the buck shot will be more volumous than the No. 1 shot that they now contain. I will need to incert a cardboard disc to keep in shot/water proof cartridge.
I will not be going near the wadding or the powder.
I do not intend to use many of theses cartridges.

Cheers,

TIA,

Dann472

Post subject: re: 'Reloading' 3.5 inch 63 gram load cartridges
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:45 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If what you are dropping in is the same weight, you will be ok. You should try to recrimp with the same fold crimp that comes on the original load. Changing the crimp will just screw things up.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee