CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 won't cycle shells
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I need some help to repair a 12G 11-87 Premier.
It has had about 8000 shells go through it. Many target loads but it has seen frequent service duck hunting for about 19 years.
Occasionally when a shell is fired, a new shell won’t release from the magazine. The fired shell is ejected properly but the bolt remains in the open position as if the magazine were empty on the final shot. It occurs randomly but with the end result being like having a single shotgun.
It happens most often with 3inch Magnums but will also happen with lighter target loads.
My local gunsmith has some ideas but is not definite about the cause. His solution of replacing a bunch of parts may work but has a significant cost.
Anyone had a similar problem or got an idea of how to fix it?

Post subject: Re: 11-87 won't cycle shells
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 am 
Field Grade

john n wrote:
I need some help to repair a 12G 11-87 Premier.
It has had about 8000 shells go through it. Many target loads but it has seen frequent service duck hunting for about 19 years.
Occasionally when a shell is fired, a new shell won’t release from the magazine. The fired shell is ejected properly but the bolt remains in the open position as if the magazine were empty on the final shot. It occurs randomly but with the end result being like having a single shotgun.
It happens most often with 3inch Magnums but will also happen with lighter target loads.
My local gunsmith has some ideas but is not definite about the cause. His solution of replacing a bunch of parts may work but has a significant cost.
Anyone had a similar problem or got an idea of how to fix it?

It sounds like you need a new feed latch. The shell being released from the mag tube , is a function of the feed latch. If the action bar doesn't engage the feed latch properly , it won't release the next shell from the mag tube , and the bolt will be locked in the open position.

Post subject: re: 11-87 won't cycle shells
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:25 am 
Field Grade

Also, check your magazine spring. If its the original one, then its probably real tired.

arkrivco

"Love those old guns"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A friend showed up to shoot skeet with us yesterday with his brand new 11-87 Premier. Out of the box it had functioning problems with the Winchester Universal shells. It worked perfectly with the black hull Remington sport loads. My friend said he has had problems with the Winchester not falling out of his cowboy double and everything falls out of it. We had one of the Winchester hulls stick in the chamber of the 11-87 and had to poke it out with a rod.. After a couple of the Winchester shells failed to trip the release to load the second shell he switched to the Remingtons. I think there is a problem with those cheap Winchester hulls and not the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Every gun I've shot has problems with Winchester "Unis" with the ridiculous aluminum head.

I've seen them stick in a Mossberg 500, too. Switch shells - no problem. Unis are crap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:44 am 
Limited Edition

I think I can also second the Winchesters. I used an 11-87 at the range yesterday with a skeet barrel, and the shells would jam, fail to eject, etc. I thought it was a cleaning, or barrel problem, since I just installed the 2.75" barrel. I now believe it's the Winchester ammo.

Jeez, and I've still got 16 boxes to go. I guess I'll have to use them in my O/U Peerless. I don't think it cares what its fed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thanks guys for the comments on the Winchester shells. I had problems with them ejecting out of a Winchester 97 16 ga. They were much lighter in weight than any other brand with other landing several feet when you pumped it. Funny thing though is the cheap Winchester 20ga just keep on working in my 1100 20 ga. It was a good day tor my friend to see what shells to buy for his new 11-87. He was getting beat to death shooting skeet with us using his cowboy coach gun