CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A303 Choke Tube Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:54 am 
I have a good friend that bought a used Beretta A303 12 guage shotgun. The barrel came with a modified choke tube that is threaded from the end of the barrel to about 1/4" from where it seats into the barrel. The overall lenght is 2-3/4". The barrel has been cut and spliced down close to the action. He was told when purchasing it, that the original owner had modified it into a skeet gun. I don't believe that the A303 has choke tube and we are trying to find out what tube this could be. We thought we had it narrowed down to the Optima, but it is too small in diameter. The end (of the Optima) that seats in the barrell will fit snug inside the modified tube where it seats. Does anyone have any ideas on identifying this tube. We have check all the local gun shops, but they are small and do not carry very many brands. I have a Remington 870 and Mossberg 500, so we can count them out since we have looked. There is no markings on the barrel or choke (other that MOD on choke). Any help would be appreciated. He is only needing a turkey choke and this modified choke so he hates to buy a replacement barrel and two chokes when nothing else is wrong with the way this shoot. Thanks in advance!

Tim

Post subject: Re: Beretta A303 Choke Tube Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

maybe its a benelli?I have a 303 with screw in chokes and the benelli will swap out,so will the barrels. sj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:26 pm 
I have a A303 that is choked shoot me an email at edl_interactive@yahoo.com and i can send you a picture of mine i can also buy the chokes or refer you to the place i get them from.

BTW Does the MOD look like it is spray painted on the choke with a stencil?

Erick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:52 pm 
My Website you can see the pics there. The chokes on my gun are Briley.

http://www.edl-i.net/images/A303/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Guest wrote: "The barrel has been cut and spliced down close to the action."

I would be very curious how this was done and by whom. This is no ordinary modification. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, but why would someone attempt such a difficult and potentially dangerous modification when it would have been simple to just cut a few inches off the front end of the barrel, or to simply buy a new barrel? I would be much more concerned about this situation than I would about the brand of choke tube in the end of the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:16 am 
Utility Grade

Ulysses,

It looks like a very quality job on this barrel, but I also wonder why it was done. Another person I talked to said that they probably had too long a barrel and cut it down. He acted like it was a normal procedure. I can see cutting down the middle to keep the choke tube threads, but unless someone is very good at this I would rather buy a shorter barrel than pay the same price or more to cut and splice back together. He has shot it quite a bit and all seems well.

Thanks for all your help so far. I will keep you informed if I learn anything new.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I think we have figured it out. It looks like this is a Briley Tube system for the Beretta. The people around here thats into the skeet shooting said that this is a pretty commom modification. Thanks for all the help! Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.

Tim