CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: opinions on Beretta Extrema 2 or Benelli SBE II to buy
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:02 pm 
Field Grade

I just joined this forum today as you shotgunners seem very informed.I am getting ready to retire on 15July07 from the law enforcement field. I gave up hunting 20 years ago so that i could work 2 side jobs to feed and educate my kids, I have justified spending $1500 on myself for a quality shotgun.
I have been thinking about the Beretta Extrema 2, 12 gauge 3 &1/2". Or the Benelli SBE II 12 gauge 3 &1/2". I haven't bought or researched shotguns in 22 years, a lot has changed with shotgunning in that time. I am looking for in a shotgun is :
1. quality/reliabity
2. fit/feel/fastswing, for my body
3. light in weight for field walking
4. soft recoil
I would like one shotgun for everything from geese to rabbits.
Or would i be better off with two Browning Gold Semi-Auto's for about the same money as one Benelli, or one Beretta? One Browning Gold in 3-1/2" to 3" in 12 gauge, and one Browning Gold that is light wieght for field use in 12auge 2 3/4" to 3". Or maybe a 20 gauge light wieght Browning Gold that takes 2 3/4" and 3" shells.
Thank You in advance for your advise and opinions. These would be hunting shotguns, and i would want the best quality i could get.

Post subject: re: opinions on Beretta Extrema 2 or Benelli SBE II to buy
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Pat
Welcome to SGW nice to have you aboard . I don't think you could go wrong with either gun . See how they both fit and feel to you out of the box . Any gun can be modified to fit you but I'm sure thats the last thing you want to do after spending a good chunk of money on a new gun. Hang around some sporting clays courses maybe you'll get lucky and be able to try one out. The Berettta Extrema 2 with KO (Kick Off) recoil reduction might have less felt recoil but other then that I think both guns are pretty equal. Safe Hunting and best of luck .

Regards
Jerry

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:55 pm 

Both are very good guns that are well made and reliable. Both are also very easy to clean. They are great choices for waterfowling as is the Gold 3 1/2". For all around use a lighter weight 3" model is usually a better choice.

Here are some well made 3" guns that are light enough for long days in the field.

$800.00 and up: Benelli M2/M1 is Inertia operated. They are light in weight and very easy to clean. The have an automatic magazine cutoff and shims to adjust the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds four shells total and more if you add an extension. Most 3” field Inertia models are not usually the best choice for light target loads.
Beretta AL391 is gas operated. They are fairly light and have very thin forearms. They have an automatic magazine cutoff, bolt lock back lever, and shims for the stock. It holds four shells total and cannot accept an extension. This design is more complicated to clean than most.
Browning Gold is gas operated. They are fairly light and pretty easy to clean. They have the speed load feature, stock shims, and a magazine cutoff switch. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. The forearm/receiver junction could be much better than it is. The Evolve, Fusion, and SL models are similar to the standard Gold but are very light in weight and balance with more weight towards the stock. All of the Gold's have a $100.00 rebate going on now.

$500.00-$800.00: Beretta 390 (Wal Mart) and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers (390 angled/3901 rounded). They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 (Wal Mart) only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most.
Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It's very light in weight and has stock shims available for it. It only comes in a Silver/Blue/Wood finish. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features but has the same gas system as the more expensive Gold’s.
Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep.
Franchi I-12 is inertia operated. Weight wise they are about average and balance with more weight towards the stock. It is one of the easiest semi autos to take down for a through cleaning. They hold five rounds and can take an extension. They have shims for the stock, automatic magazine cutoff, and a cartridge release lever. They do have a very modern look and are not the best choice for light target loads.
Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two.
Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib design. It holds five rounds and more if extended. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock.
Winchester SX3 is the same as the SX2 with a much lighter weight and a more modern look.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:30 am 
Field Grade

I orginally wanted the Franchi I-12 I held it and it looked great. I thought a Bennelli SBE II at less then half the price. Saw the Berretta 3901 felt good can be had in suburban Chicago for $550. I was going to buy it today, but i will look at the Browning Gold again today. I am 52 yrs old and the pound less weight will make a differance walking a field. I will look at 3' models of all the shotguns. Just trying to get the most and best for the money. It appears that the Browning Golds in 3 1/2 can function with the 2 3/4 light target loads from what i have been reading on-line.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm 
Field Grade

I bought the 3901 for $550.00.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:07 am 
Crown Grade

Excellent choice! :D You have a gun that fits your criteria at a great price. What's not to love?

Now forget about all other guns. Buy a bunch of the most inexpensive promotional ammo you can find, head to a range as often as you can and learn to break clays. Maybe even get some instruction as you learn what your gun can do and what you can do with your gun. After 20 years of no hunting you'll have to knock some rust off before taking to the fields, and shooting clays is the fastest way to do it.

Remember to be safe... and always have fun! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Congrats! Great gun!

I bought the AL390 last month & really like it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:30 pm 
Limited Edition

:D

Hi Pat 701,

You made an excellent choice.

I'm an FFL dealer/gunsmith and I have tried all of them that you considered. Not just at the range but in the worst foul weather hunting ducks.

The 390 series will perform as well as any of the higher priced guns and is very easy to maintain. The other guns have some nice refinements but for a get it done gun the 390 is great.
The price was good too. Have fun.

Ernie